Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in Faeries?
I do! I do! 11 30.56%
I like the stories. 8 22.22%
I don't have experience with them. 3 8.33%
It's pure fiction. Where is the supporting evidence? 16 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:16 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times

Advertisements

I recently posted about a series of dreams I had over the course of a week that involved Faeries.

You can read about it here: I had a series of amazing dreams...

My Mom suggested I wasn't dreaming but that I was having a series of encounters with them similar to when our dearly departed visit us in our dreams.

I know from when I lived in Scotland they had a rich folklore about fairy folk and some truly believed in them. In the village pub you couldn't say they were a mythological fantasy because the elderly men would argue with you that the 'little people' were real. They would say they'd seen them and they'd regale you with stories about witnessing fairy parties on the river and unexplainable things that would occur to which they attribute to the mischief of the faeries.

Then when I lived in Norway I also found they had their own folklore about trolls and nisse or what we call gnomes. They had huge troll sculptures in their zoos and loads of stories to tell. I couldn't tell if they were skeptical or not in their folklore about the creatures but I could feel some belief from them, and in Denmark they have the tales of the little mermaid and the famous statue there.

It seems in every culture but the USA there is some kind of folklore about magical creatures and other realms. In Egypt they have the folklore of the jinn. In India they're full of Indian folklore about deities and animals of the jungle. In Mexico they have stories about their Saints, particularly one that makes my skin crawl when I hear the stories of encounters with Santa Muerte (Saint Death).

Do you have any similar stories or unexplainable and mysterious experiences involving any of these kinds of things?

Poll to follow as soon as I figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 02:55 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Iceland is serious about fairies as well. There are a LOT of other-worldly-beings in the Philipines as well.
The US also has some 'fey' beings as well, but not as many and they tend to be larger; Bigfoot, skinwalkers etc. but several tribes speak of 'little people'.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:01 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
I love these mystical tales, but theres no truth to it.
Comparable to the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and Men in Black or Alice in Wonderland

Old 04-21-2015, 04:17 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
but several tribes speak of 'little people'.
We have a community of little folks not far from where I'm living, I'd imagine future lore will have it
these people were faeries.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:10 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,479,051 times
Literature is filled with accounts of faeries. How can there not be something to it?

Old 04-21-2015, 05:12 PM

11 posts, read 11,802 times
Of course I believe in fairies, my husband is one.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:38 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Malone View Post
Of course I believe in fairies, my husband is one.
Oh, snap!

Old 04-23-2015, 01:24 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Literature is filled with accounts of faeries. How can there not be something to it?
Same with dragons. And unicorns. And god's. And talking animals. All fiction.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:29 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I think there are things people couldn't explain and so they made up little people that did them. As far as dragons, all you have to do is see a seahorse... and you can imagine they are baby dragons.....

Old 04-23-2015, 04:24 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
When Harry Potter dies and meets Dumbledore he asks the Professor if this is real or if it's just in his head. Dumbledore says, "Of course it's in your head Harry, but why would that mean it's not real?"

For the longest time I felt that statement had a deep meaning and I got that it's associated with the magical world and our imaginations. For me it speaks to how our imagination is a kind of magical world and perhaps a creative divine intelligence when inspiration strikes. The rules and beliefs in Harry's muggle world did not always apply in the magical world. It's not how much we know but what we can imagine is possible and our ability to let go of those rules and beliefs that are limiting our potential and no longer serves us. That if you believe it there are other worlds where anything is possible and that's the beauty and magic of it all.

In the X-Files TV series there was always the same caption in the introduction, "The Truth Is Out There," but sometimes there were variants to the caption. In the episode where Mulder meets the ghost children in the field and finds his eight year old Sister who hugs him the opening caption said, "Believe To Understand." It's true that sometime we don't have to believe in things for things to happen to us. Other times there are things we don't truly understand because we don't believe in them.

Through my own series of unusual experiences throughout life I understood that we'll never truly understand them until we do believe in them. That these alternate worlds are a sort of mirror of ours. It works in a reverse way there so that the opposites of what we know and understand are going to be the truths.

When you get this one simple thing is when you start to understand what's going on in stories like Alice and Wonderland, Peter Pan, Never Ending Story and so forth. They're all trying to tell us the same thing in so many ways that they put the evidence and the keys to unlocking it right in your hands where it's obvious yet often overlooked or ignored in disbelief. Believe. There is magic in believing. There is magic in knowing without tangible proof. We can't prove love but we know it's real. There is magic in the intangible mystery and the unexplainable, and in the world if you dare to open yourself up to it.

The X-Files variation opening caption I mentioned:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal