Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:41 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Has the Roman Catholic Church or this Bishop confirmed that the boy was possessed by a demon?
"The Exorcist" were written, then of course the movie, early 70s. The exorcism with this Priest and boy were well before that.

To answer your question, yes, a Priest has to have permission with proof before a Bishop gives his okay. They're trained in demonology. They have guidelines that must be followed.

Since the increase of interest in paranormal activity, no doubt, they get plenty of calls for house blessings and claims of demon possession. At that particular time, probably not much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 12:44 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
The book "The Exorcist" were written, then the movie early 70s. The exorcism with this Priest and boy were well before that.

To answer your question, yes, a Priest has to have permission with proof before a Bishop gives his okay. They're trained in demonology.

Since the increase of interest in paranormal activity, no doubt, they get plenty of calls for house blessings and maybe who claims demon possession. At that particular time, probably not to much.
OK. Where is the statement or documentation that the Roman Catholic Church or this Bishop confirmed that the boy was possessed by a demon? This should be easy to get if this is true.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
No. The Warrens were not.

The Warrens sometimes worked with a Catholic priest, but the priest was NEVER officially sanctioned by the Church. They tended to be the sedevacantists, who are "fringe" Catholics.

The Warrens said that they always consulted a priest (again, a sedevacantist), but if a priest was not available, Ed would do the exorcism himself. Probably because the Warrens knew there was no way the Church would sanction their foo-foofery. This is expressly forbidden in Church teaching.

The Warrens liked to present themselves as sanctioned by the Church, but they absolutely were not.

The Warrens were kooks. From what little I know about them, Ed seemed to start out a good guy who meant well, but Lorraine was a master of huckstery and a canny business woman. She and Ed would've made a great snake oil team.
Ed Warren studied demonology, he worked alongside the Catholic church. Tey investigated privately. I never alluded to the Warrens performing exorcisms or being sanctioned by the church to perform exorcisms.

I have no intentions of arguing the Warrens credibility.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
OK. Where is the statement or documentation that the Roman Catholic Church or this Bishop confirmed that the boy was possessed by a demon? This should be easy to get if this is true.
If you have a real interest, I suggest doing a google and see what you can come up with, the story is online. I'm not here to argue the validity or prove anything.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
If you have a real interest, I suggest doing a google and see what you can come up with, the story is online. I'm not here to argue the validity or prove anything.
My point is that even if the church authorized the exorcism it does not mean they have ever said it was valid. I find it interesting that one of the people who performed the exorcism themselves was never sure.

That is certainly not a raging endorsement.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
My point is that even if the church authorized the exorcism it does not mean they have ever said it was valid. I find it interesting that one of the people who performed the exorcism themselves was never sure.

That is certainly not a raging endorsement.
I have no clue what it is you're trying to determine. It sounds like your looking for certificates of authenticity on exorcism. Its not like getting a part replaced on your car with a warranty or a marriage or christening certificate.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I have no clue what it is you're trying to determine. It sounds like your looking for certificates of authenticity on exorcism. Its not like getting a part replaced on your car with a warranty or a marriage or christening certificate.
No, you are trying to use the fact that there was an exorcism as a source that the Church thought this was real. That is not necessarily true and even at least one of the exorcists who was there did not necessarily believe it. The other would not talk about it.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
No, you are trying to use the fact that there was an exorcism as a source that the Church thought this was real. That is not necessarily true and even at least one of the exorcists who was there did not necessarily believe it. The other would not talk about it.
In your post, the one I first responded to, you gave the impression exorcism were something created for movie entertainment. My impression were correct.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:30 AM

4,659 posts, read 4,116,410 times
Quote:
Sure, and Texas Chainsaw massacre was based on a true story too. But the story The Exorcist is based on is as loose and it is thought it was just a disturbed kid or even just a spoiled brat. Certainly not even poor evidence of spirits and ghosts.
"Robbie Mannaheim's/Roland Doe's" own father, brother, and best friend all just thought he was a viscous little prankster. As I think you already alluded to in one of your posts, one of the priests seemed less than overwhelmed by the evidence, although all three towed the line to an extent.

Part I - The Haunted Boy: the Inspiration for the Exorcist

Part II - The Haunted Boy: the Inspiration for the Exorcist

Part III - The Haunted Boy: the Inspiration for the Exorcist

Part IV - The Haunted Boy: the Inspiration for the Exorcist

Part V - The Haunted Boy: the Inspiration for the Exorcist

When younger, I was very much an interested skeptic with an open mind about the paranormal. At some point, I just saw too many debunkings. This case was indeed supposed to be some sort of gold standard in terms of being a case in which there were just too many witnesses to be a fraud.

Turns out, it is just another fraud.

At least the kid didn't end up dead as with poor Anneliese Michael.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:42 AM

Thanks for posting links. Are saying the boy were not possessed, the Priests were frauds or both
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal