U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2015, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Rural Wisconsin
13,487 posts, read 4,416,102 times
Reputation: 28058

Advertisements

I started watching The Conjuring and left it after about a half hour to do some research as to its truthfulness. There is a LOT of evidence saying that the paranormal investigators, Ed and Lorraine Warren (Ed deceased, Lorraine still living), were phonies who were just interested in making a buck and that an instance of this was "the Amityville horror" which I think has been proven to be a hoax.

However, one of the Youtube videos I saw was by Norma Sutcliffe, the current owner of "The Conjuring" house who says that it was all made up, but then I saw a video made previously ("The Farmhouse" by Andrea Perron), made by Ms. Perron, which shows the two of them being VERY cordial together and even has Mrs. Sutcliffe talking about the paranormal experiences SHE experienced.

So, Mrs. Sutcliffe definitely changed her story, and I would just like to know if anyone knows why -- or if anyone would like to add anything regarding whether or not the Warrens were anything but phonies out to make a buck.

Thanks!

P.S. I know that Mrs. Sutcliffe has felt very much harassed by tourists, but is that any reason to recant what she had said earlier?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,145 posts, read 20,944,630 times
Reputation: 14067
Imagine living in a house where random people are constantly showing up, ignoring your property rights and privacy, taking pictures, peeking in your windows, taking pieces of your house as souvenirs and generally keeping you in a state of constant harassment and stress.

Yea, I would lie and it's all made up so leave me the hell alone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 11:29 PM
 
4,262 posts, read 3,282,983 times
Reputation: 8267
The Warrens were/are con-artists. You already know about the AMITYVILLE HORROR, but a good answer to your question comes from Ray Garton, who wrote the book that A HAUNNTING IN CONNECTICUT is based on.

Garton said that when he was interviewing the family to write the book, he became very confused because no two stories from family members were anything alike. So he weny to Ed Warren who had contracted him and Ed told him:

"Who cares? They're all crazy. Just make it up, and make it scary."

So the answer to your question is that the Warrens are not just con-artists who work with other con artists like the Lutzes, they are also predators who actively help to further confuse families who are undergoing genuine psychological trauma and need professional help.

I am sure that this Norma Sutcliffe women actually believes that SOMETHING happened, and at one point trusted the Warrens to help her. When she saw that that they were only there to muddy the waters and make a buck, she rightfully turned on them.

It is too bad that she did not turn far enough away to seek real help from professionals who could address the real issues and pathologies in her family. Or at least from a good skeptic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Maine
20,066 posts, read 23,811,681 times
Reputation: 24896
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
The Warrens were/are con-artists.
Yep. While THE CONJURING was indeed a great movie, it was not based on facts and was not even a little bit of an accurate portrayal of the Warrens.

The Warrens' greatest accomplishment was proving P.T. Barnum right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
5,170 posts, read 3,822,649 times
Reputation: 6331
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I started watching The Conjuring and left it after about a half hour to do some research as to its truthfulness. There is a LOT of evidence saying that the paranormal investigators, Ed and Lorraine Warren (Ed deceased, Lorraine still living), were phonies who were just interested in making a buck and that an instance of this was "the Amityville horror" which I think has been proven to be a hoax.

However, one of the Youtube videos I saw was by Norma Sutcliffe, the current owner of "The Conjuring" house who says that it was all made up, but then I saw a video made previously ("The Farmhouse" by Andrea Perron), made by Ms. Perron, which shows the two of them being VERY cordial together and even has Mrs. Sutcliffe talking about the paranormal experiences SHE experienced.

So, Mrs. Sutcliffe definitely changed her story, and I would just like to know if anyone knows why -- or if anyone would like to add anything regarding whether or not the Warrens were anything but phonies out to make a buck.

Thanks!

P.S. I know that Mrs. Sutcliffe has felt very much harassed by tourists, but is that any reason to recant what she had said earlier?
Let me know when you find a story about ghosts where nobody is lying, mistaken or delusional.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 10:04 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,081 posts, read 26,289,796 times
Reputation: 18120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Let me know when you find a story about ghosts where nobody is lying, mistaken or delusional.
If your going by current paranormal tv viewing and movies...Lies and sensational, all for entertainment only.

Delusional, depends.....
..
The movie 'The Exorsist', were actually adapted from a true story an exorcism performed by a Catholic Priest in Missouri.

The Warrens investigated paranormal activity well before its popularity. Ed Warren were a demonologist with the Catholic church.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2015, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Maine
20,066 posts, read 23,811,681 times
Reputation: 24896
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Ed Warren were a demonologist with the Catholic church.
No. The Warrens were not.

The Warrens sometimes worked with a Catholic priest, but the priest was NEVER officially sanctioned by the Church. They tended to be the sedevacantists, who are "fringe" Catholics.

The Warrens said that they always consulted a priest (again, a sedevacantist), but if a priest was not available, Ed would do the exorcism himself. Probably because the Warrens knew there was no way the Church would sanction their foo-foofery. This is expressly forbidden in Church teaching.

The Warrens liked to present themselves as sanctioned by the Church, but they absolutely were not.

The Warrens were kooks. From what little I know about them, Ed seemed to start out a good guy who meant well, but Lorraine was a master of huckstery and a canny business woman. She and Ed would've made a great snake oil team.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2015, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
5,170 posts, read 3,822,649 times
Reputation: 6331
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
If your going by current paranormal tv viewing and movies...Lies and sensational, all for entertainment only.

Delusional, depends.....
..
The movie 'The Exorsist', were actually adapted from a true story an exorcism performed by a Catholic Priest in Missouri.

The Warrens investigated paranormal activity well before its popularity. Ed Warren were a demonologist with the Catholic church.
Sure, and Texas Chainsaw massacre was based on a true story too. But the story The Exorcist is based on is as loose and it is thought it was just a disturbed kid or even just a spoiled brat. Certainly not even poor evidence of spirits and ghosts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2015, 07:39 AM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,081 posts, read 26,289,796 times
Reputation: 18120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Sure, and Texas Chainsaw massacre was based on a true story too. But the story The Exorcist is based on is as loose and it is thought it was just a disturbed kid or even just a spoiled brat. Certainly not even poor evidence of spirits and ghosts.
Sure the story were "adapted" for profit. Head spinning and spitting pea soup.

I don't know that you fully understand, a Roman Catholic Priest gets permission from a Bishop beforehand.
This isn't something that were done on a bratty child with poor parenting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2015, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
5,170 posts, read 3,822,649 times
Reputation: 6331
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Sure the story were "adapted" for profit. Head spinning and spitting pea soup.

I don't know that you fully understand, a Roman Catholic Priest gets permission from a Bishop beforehand.
This isn't something that were done on a bratty child with poor parenting.
Has the Roman Catholic Church or this Bishop confirmed that the boy was possessed by a demon?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top