Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:44 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,460,112 times

Advertisements

Haarp.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 11:38 PM

60 posts, read 76,617 times
Spent a sleepless night in a Portland Oregon hotel, close to the ship loading docks, 15-20 years ago. Brake drums and winches on the towers made ghoulish screeching and moaning noises off and on all night. These noises sound like harmonic vibrations from heavy slow moving mechanical stuff, possibly train brakes lightly engaging.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:42 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,410,824 times
Glitch in the Matrix.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:04 PM

102,071 posts, read 107,036,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Haarp.....
From Wiki:

The High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) is an ionospheric research program jointly funded by the U.S. Air Force, the U.S. Navy, the University of Alaska.
This program has been discontinued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Fr...search_Program

Old 05-23-2015, 01:12 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,460,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
From Wiki:

The High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) is an ionospheric research program jointly funded by the U.S. Air Force, the U.S. Navy, the University of Alaska.
This program has been discontinued.

High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, speculated to be under another name, who knows.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:06 AM

9,845 posts, read 7,595,647 times
I am a skeptic and will try to disprove any unusual event's. I am telling the truth regarding this situation. I heard this similar sound about two winters ago between the hour's of 1AM to 4AM. It was an unusual sound you first thought is wind. I live by the wood's the wood's house's produce a kind of wind tunnel could of made this noise.

However, no wind I am heavy sleeper it woke me up. I never asked any neighbor's if they heard anything. Strangely enough and again I am telling the truth one of the cities thought a prank by college kid's, found crop circles etched into the snow on the city green. They could never prove who did it
There was no footsteps from the pictures shown.

Any connection to that odd sound who knows.

All I can remember was a whoosh sound like something zipped by, but I don't know did not seem natural. Only time I have ever heard that sound.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:52 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,054,675 times
Ok I'm an audio engineer and I can shed some light on these videos. It will take a long post to do so though. Sorry!

In a nutshell, every single video I've watched is fake. This particular video has clear time stretch markers on the sound (a side effect of what happens when you take a particular recording and "stretch" it beyond it's actual length without letting it naturally pitch downward). Also, the reverb is all wrong in that video. The outdoors doesn't have acoustic decay like that unless you were in a canyon and even then, you'd have more echo than decay. For something to decay outdoors like that (from the sky no less), it would be so loud that you'd probably have serious hearing damage or complete loss of hearing afterwards. Thunder doesn't decay does it? It echos.

I actually did some research on these "groaning sky" videos and they actually all started with a guy in Kiev, Ukraine (coincidently, a culture with a huge fascination with the apocalypse) who filmed strange sounds in the sky not too long after the movie "Red State" came out and featured a scene almost identical to these videos.

Red State - Trumpet Scene

http://youtu.be/ItD6dQa5ncw

A lot of time went by after that with no one paying his video much attention then for some reason, it went viral and a ton of copy cat videos came out all over the world with people hearing "strange sounds in the sky". 90% of them just ripped the audio of the original Ukraine video and overlaid it onto their footage. You could tell because the original video had destinct bird sounds that appeared in the exact same spot in the audio track on all of the other videos. Once people started catching on, they started using different sounds I guess. I stopped watching them myself until just now.

Are ALL of them fake? I don't know but all of them that I've watched are... Including the original. The original Ukraine video sounded to me like he used an elephant growl recording with other layers of screeching/straining metal and post processed the hell out of it to make it sound like it was booming from the sky. Elephant growls sound really spooky by the way.

Here is a little video I made that took this "strange sounds" concept and jazzed it up into a fake teaser trailer. The audio took me a mere 20 minutes or so to do and I was able to achieve a very similar result.

Edit - just watched the OP's link again and the distinctive bird sound I was talking about appears at exactly 2:33. That sound is in a LOT of these videos and always at the exact same spot in the audio timecode.

Last edited by Adric; 05-25-2015 at 04:47 AM..

Old 05-25-2015, 10:26 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,724,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Currently, there are 2 threads about this in the Politics and other controversies forum.

I thought it should be posted here.

Can YOU work out what the sound coming from the sky is?

Does anyone have an idea as to what is happening?
Usually these are synthesized versions of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO9n4TGVhB0

At first hoaxers just put it on vids as-as, until folks figured out it was from the movie so they started remixing it. The fun eventually wore out a couple years ago, but for some reason it's back again.

It's the easiest hoax in the world to do. Take a short video of people looking at the sky perplexed somewhere in the world and dub the spooky sound in, then claim it's real. Get a few people to do it across the world (not like people worldwide don't communicate daily... say, on internet forums?) and you've got a new mythological phenomenon.

(edit) Good stuff Edric, I didn't see your post until after I posted! I've never seen that show before, sounds like an even better hoaxer's source for the sound!

Last edited by Chango; 05-25-2015 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-25-2015, 02:54 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,054,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Usually these are synthesized versions of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO9n4TGVhB0

At first hoaxers just put it on vids as-as, until folks figured out it was from the movie so they started remixing it. The fun eventually wore out a couple years ago, but for some reason it's back again.

It's the easiest hoax in the world to do. Take a short video of people looking at the sky perplexed somewhere in the world and dub the spooky sound in, then claim it's real. Get a few people to do it across the world (not like people worldwide don't communicate daily... say, on internet forums?) and you've got a new mythological phenomenon.

(edit) Good stuff Edric, I didn't see your post until after I posted! I've never seen that show before, sounds like an even better hoaxer's source for the sound!
Honestly, I think the source of the sounds was elephant roars/growls.... Just heavily processed and filtered with some other SFX thrown in and layered for good measure.

First, listen to this:

http://youtu.be/Zss-XTdAIfk

Now listen to this:

http://youtu.be/4JHAu5qDSgU

And again, that SAME bird appears here at 0:47, 10:34, and finally at 13:38. That bird really gets around!

Last edited by Adric; 05-25-2015 at 03:11 PM..

Old 05-25-2015, 03:28 PM

102,071 posts, read 107,036,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post

And again, that SAME bird appears here at 0:47, 10:34, and finally at 13:38. That bird really gets around!
"Appears"? Do you mean, the same bird call is heard at each of those points? Good point. All those different locales have the exact same bird sound effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal