U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 05:50 PM

50 posts, read 115,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Speaking of optics, let's not even mention the strange effects lens flares can create - knowledge really is power .
You might be right but let's face it not everything in life can be explained by science. Posted this in hopes to get a lot of opinions. Didn't need the side of snark but thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 05:57 PM

12,445 posts, read 12,372,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbieart View Post
...not everything in life can be explained by science...
When one doesn't understand the science behind observed phenomena, the most acceptable explanation seems to be magic or ghosts.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
When one doesn't understand the science behind observed phenomena, the most acceptable explanation seems to be magic or ghosts.
I'm not ruling out your theory but keeping an open mind shouldn't cause you to basically call me stupid. I appreciate your input. Hopefully more people will chime in.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:52 PM

7,252 posts, read 4,192,550 times
I will post up some videos soon. I've read all the scientific reasoning behind orbs. I've taken pictures and videos for which I am as positive as I can be that they are orbs and not dust. Most prevalent is my grandson when he sleeps over. I have a video camera in the room he sleeps in for monitoring. I have taken videos minutes before he goes into the room and nothing. Turn the light on, put him to be, and when the lights go off orbs come for several minutes, some even stopping right over him.

I am not religious, nor do I stand to one side of the discussion, because there are pictures that do resemble orbs and can be explained by science. All I know is what I have seen over the years, and I have seen orbs and believe in them wholeheartedly.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:04 PM

12,445 posts, read 12,372,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbieart View Post
I'm not ruling out your theory but keeping an open mind shouldn't cause you to basically call me stupid. I appreciate your input. Hopefully more people will chime in.
I was wondering why you thought my posts were directed at you (they weren't at all). Looking back through the thread I see that you are the roommate of the OP.

I certainly wouldn't call you, or anyone else on this thread "stupid." I spend a bit of time figuring-out what causes unexplained phenomena. The "orb" phenomenon doesn't interest me any more because it's only ever captured by cameras and never actually "seen." However, the study of optics is fascinating and can explain many seemingly bizarre observations.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I was wondering why you thought my posts were directed at you (they weren't at all). Looking back through the thread I see that you are the roommate of the OP.

I certainly wouldn't call you, or anyone else on this thread "stupid." I spend a bit of time figuring-out what causes unexplained phenomena. The "orb" phenomenon doesn't interest me any more because it's only ever captured by cameras and never actually "seen." However, the study of optics is fascinating and can explain many seemingly bizarre observations.
Ah yes, sorry for the confusion. The OP is my roommate. Internet tone is easily interpreted wrong so it's all good. Any favorite sites of yours that have info on optics? I'll check it out.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:37 PM

9,728 posts, read 18,831,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
... I've taken pictures and videos for which I am as positive as I can be that they are orbs and not dust. Most prevalent is my grandson when he sleeps over. I have a video camera in the room he sleeps in for monitoring. I have taken videos minutes before he goes into the room and nothing. Turn the light on, put him to be, and when the lights go off orbs come for several minutes, some even stopping right over him.

I am not religious, nor do I stand to one side of the discussion, because there are pictures that do resemble orbs and can be explained by science. All I know is what I have seen over the years, and I have seen orbs and believe in them wholeheartedly.
Orbs ARE dust particles.

The reason you don't see the orbs in your grandson's room before he goes to bed is that there's nothing in the room to disturb the dust (in carpet, etc.). When you take him into the bedroom (or he walks in) it disturbs the dust. After awhile it settles again and is no longer in the air for the camera to record it.

I've seen orbs and believe in them too. I see them nearly daily as I photograph home interiors during inspections. There's nothing there not to believe, unless you think they're something more mysterious than particles of dust.

And I know many people do think that. Sorry. There's nothing mysterious or spiritual about orbs, but believe what you want.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:10 AM

44 posts, read 35,683 times
I have had paranormal experiences from a young age. In my entire life I have only seen orbs with my owns eyes, central vision, less than half a dozen times.

The orbs/ light anomalies I have seen have been as small as a quarter and as large as something between a volleyball and a basketball. I have never been able to capture an orb with a camera or video. I believe that out there somewhere someone may have captured a pic of an orb, because I do believe they exist. But, I believe that most orbs caught on video are just dust particles. I believe what you caught in your video is a dust particle that is moving very close to the camera lense and that is why it seems so big and bright.

Right now I am dealing with some odd banging noises in my house that occur in the early morning hours. I have set a camera up that can record in full darkness in the room that the noise occurs in. My first assumption was animals in the attic, but my husband has ruled that out. I continue to record in that room and the banging is getting louder and instead of one loud thud, it's now three in a row. I've also recorded what sounds like a voice whipering. What I have not recorded was any orbs, dust or otherwise, or objects moving.

I'm still trying to determine an environmental type explantion for my loud thumps before I rule it paranormal, but I'll admit, the whispering seriously has me considering something paranormal.

My point for telling you about my little anecdote is, I just don't believe capturing orbs on video is as easy as most people think, or hope. Dust on the other hand, is quite easy to capture.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:06 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,453,766 times
Quote:

they have been seen--and by this poster under a variety of conditions out and indoors

Old 05-23-2015, 09:21 AM

9,513 posts, read 5,698,731 times
I was driving down the road with my fiancé and future mother in law. We were the only car on the road
No street lights a few lights from the house's, but nothing to impair vision. We saw this streak of light go through the car. Can't remember if it was orange or not.

Then at my old job driving through the back roads late at night. Saw a few orbs on the road my headlights are the only light giving off. Saw a few on the rock's. Can't recall if ever happen again, but saw a good number of orbs random light's. This was during the winter when this happened...could of been snow, but don't recall any snow falling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal