Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:01 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I see dinosaurs all the time. Here's a pic of a yummy one:
Apparently an effort is underway to develop a chickosaurus, or dino-chicken. I wonder if they'd taste like lizard?
Researchers Say They're Getting Closer to Creating a Dino-Chicken - NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 09:53 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,861 times
Old news. This has been discussed for years. Interestingly the science behind it shows how animals can "evolve" significantly over short periods of time.

How to Build a Dinosaur: The New Science of Reverse Evolution: Jack Horner, James Gorman: 9780452296015: Amazon.com: Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Apparently an effort is underway to develop a chickosaurus, or dino-chicken. I wonder if they'd taste like lizard?

Old 05-26-2015, 10:45 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
I see dinosaurs all the time. Here's a pic of a yummy one:
Yup. I have three and I too see dinosaur. Ostriches and emus even more so (which I don't have). I find it quite fascinating.

Last edited by 303Guy; 05-26-2015 at 11:15 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 11:12 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Old news. This has been discussed for years. Interestingly the science behind it shows how animals can "evolve" significantly over short periods of time.
True, it's been discussed for quite some time, but the instance I cited apparently did some actual genetic tweaking and came up with something that resembled a dino snout on an embryonic chick. As far as I know, it's the first time that's been done. They claim to be about 50% there. I don't think the chick hatched out though.

A chickosaur is a far cry from the huge beasts claimed to have been seen in Africa. It's possible some sort of bird-like lizard could possibly exist in the dense swampy forest growth, but I'd agree with others that a large dino is very unlikely. If it's more than just legendary tales by the locals, it might have been a large snake.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:02 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Actually, lizard tastes a lot like chicken. We should have made the connection long before the paleontologists.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:44 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,861 times
I believe that's what's discussed in the book - it's been several years since I read it, so I'm not sure, but that sounds like it. I've also read an earlier book by the author in which he pushed some theories that have since been "forgotten". Basically everything about this field is an uncertainty. The few people involved in it know that almost all of what they now understand will be within the course of decades be fundamentally challenged or debunked, and replaced by new sets of theories that in turn will be eventually significantly modified. That's fine, given the nature of what they are researching, one should not expect that they can know anything near to the whole truth. But unfortunately what happens is that these people write books that present conjecture and theory and "fact" and these books in turn influence public opinion and further lead to TV shows and childrens "learning material" being produced that essentially presents lies as the truth.

Quote:
True, it's been discussed for quite some time, but the instance I cited apparently did some actual genetic tweaking and came up with something that resembled a dino snout on an embryonic chick. As far as I know, it's the first time that's been done. They claim to be about 50% there. I don't think the chick hatched out though.

A chickosaur is a far cry from the huge beasts claimed to have been seen in Africa. It's possible some sort of bird-like lizard could possibly exist in the dense swampy forest growth, but I'd agree with others that a large dino is very unlikely. If it's more than just legendary tales by the locals, it might have been a large snake.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:15 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Whatever it was, in the story I read, the natives supposedly ate it.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:06 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Whatever it was, in the story I read, the natives supposedly ate it.
As I recall, they were said to have died from eating it. I believe what you are referring to is Mokele M'bembe, the reports coming from Lake Tele and it's environs in the Congo. There has been no substantiation of these reports.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:32 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
As I recall, they were said to have died from eating it. I believe what you are referring to is Mokele M'bembe, the reports coming from Lake Tele and it's environs in the Congo. There has been no substantiation of these reports.
No substantiation of gods either, but some people are convinced.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:47 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
No substantiation of gods either, but some people are convinced.
And peoples' religious beliefs are relevant to this topc because ...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal