U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 11:15 AM

280 posts, read 608,959 times

Advertisements

If OBEs practiced in a systematic way can help develop or improve psychic abilities, develop or improve intuition, develop or improve healing abilities, improve dream recall or help with lucid dreaming - I am interested in hearing if OBEs have helped anyone with some of these things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 01:36 PM

11,142 posts, read 9,007,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael21214 View Post
I have had what I think are OBEs but not quite sure about them.
I'm puzzled that you're not sure. When I had them, there was no doubt whatsoever. My first one was almost 50 years ago and I can remember it like it was yesterday. At the time I had never heard of the phenomenon and certainly not the term "out of body experience" or "OBE". But I knew that was exactly what had happened: "I" had left "my body".
It was decades later before I had the 2nd one and by then it had become enough of a thing that I knew I wasn't the only it happened to. I had several before I decided I didn't want any more, and each one was unmistakably an OBE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Don't bother asking me any questions, tho..I had one today during a nap or as I was drifting off...it just happens...not a big deal...I come right back in when I realize I'm out...
it's like ..."Stop it." Like taming a dog. "Go back inside..."

It's not something I need to do, imo.
That's exactly my experience. Except I can tell if one is coming on and say "nope, not gonna do that" to head it off before it starts.
I agree, it's not a big deal, and *for me* not a particularly useful or beneficial practice.

I am however intrigued by how others react to their first-time experiences, and that's one reason I like to read the SOBE accounts on OBERF (Out of Body Experience Research Foundation). SOBE's are so-called "spontaneous", i.e. unsought occurrences, which all mine were. I find the accounts and books written by persons who actively seek and accomplish OBE's to be boring and vacuous. They seem to lack the awe and spiritual element of those spontaneously experienced.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 05-30-2015 at 01:48 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 11:34 AM

9,509 posts, read 5,692,295 times
I have dreams but not sure if OBE. The dreams feel real like another life I lived. Can pick up on touches and smells never experienced before.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:18 PM

854 posts, read 854,177 times
Exclamation OBE's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Pretty hard for me to understand that, especially if you're awake. What happens if you are driving or something?

Al....

The physical body keeps doing whatever it is doing while the 'astral' body, outside the physical body, is doing something else.

I've had three of these, two while busy doing something important.

Had my physical body frozen up or something similar while my astral side was outside my physical body, it would have been noticed right away since I was, at the time, surrounded by several people.

In both cases, when my astral body went back into my physical body and I glanced around, wondering if anyone had noticed anything, no one said a word.

And like I said, if I had frozen up or acted strangely while I was outside my physical body, it would have been noticed and remarked on.

Paul..........

Old 06-02-2015, 11:08 PM

4,532 posts, read 4,027,376 times
Biscuitmom -
Quote:
SOBE's are so-called "spontaneous", i.e. unsought occurrences, which all mine were. I find the accounts and books written by persons who actively seek and accomplish OBE's to be boring and vacuous. They seem to lack the awe and spiritual element of those spontaneously experienced.
When I read this, it seems that this is almost said with spiritual awe. Like a vision of God.

However, from what I read of Robert Monroe's experiences in his books, that experience of utter love, acceptance, and bliss is a natural occurance as each one of us progresses up the ladder of spiritual awakening.

If we accept that we are multi-dimensional in nature (which most people dont), then this would be a natural part of our true abilities which we have lost over time. There are plenty of reports of shamans, and occultists being able to leave their body and to visit other times and places. Now, imagine if we could all naturally do that, how much wiser and more humble we would be? The world would be a very different place. Like Heaven almost.

Personally, I am persuing this OBE line of inquiry in order to advance in awareness of the amazing universe we all live in but have very little knowledge of.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:38 AM

280 posts, read 608,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20
Personally, I am persuing this OBE line of inquiry in order to advance in awareness of the amazing universe we all live in but have very little knowledge of.
This is what I'm getting at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal