U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 02:54 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,317,972 times

Advertisements

Well, if you watch the video - and I'm certain you're too close-minded to do so - that I posted above and which he uploaded on May 21, you'll see he uses some sort of number theory to determine patterns of large earthquakes. I'll admit that I don't quite follow it but in the video uploaded May 21 he makes reference to the pattern indicating an earthquake 8.0+ on May 28. No mention of location. I never watched the other video, but he may have made the "prediction" to "advertise," which is a bit disingenuous I'll agree. Anyway, you'll say, well, earthquake didn't happen on May 28, and although initially it was 8.5 it was "downgraded" (for some reason) to just under 8.0. Well, in the video some of the historic earthquakes that he uses to determine the pattern are "off" by a day or so, so the fact that this one was a day or so "off" by a day or so is to an issue. Sorry, but on a global or astronomical scale "patterns" never precise down to the second (to the best of my knowledge). In short he used some sort of "number theory" to recognize a pattern and used this to determine the likelihood of another major earthquake, and appears to have been quite accurate in making that "prediction".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Yes, the prediction was unlikely to be correct ..... and it wasn't, right?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 06:56 AM

Hmm... this looks interesting...

01-JUN-2015 10:46:27 44.55 -129.54 5.5 10 0 OFF COAST OF OREGON 5148862
01-JUN-2015 07:01:20 44.53 -129.76 4.3 10 18 OFF COAST OF OREGON 5148852
01-JUN-2015 06:52:41 44.44 -129.77 5.8 10 22 OFF COAST OF OREGON 5148851

Old 06-01-2015, 02:36 PM

I'm assuming that everyone's watched the video and realized that there is actually some sort of theory behind the prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Well, if you watch the video - and I'm certain you're too close-minded to do so - that I posted above and which he uploaded on May 21, you'll see he uses some sort of number theory to determine patterns of large earthquakes. I'll admit that I don't quite follow it but in the video uploaded May 21 he makes reference to the pattern indicating an earthquake 8.0+ on May 28. No mention of location. I never watched the other video, but he may have made the "prediction" to "advertise," which is a bit disingenuous I'll agree. Anyway, you'll say, well, earthquake didn't happen on May 28, and although initially it was 8.5 it was "downgraded" (for some reason) to just under 8.0. Well, in the video some of the historic earthquakes that he uses to determine the pattern are "off" by a day or so, so the fact that this one was a day or so "off" by a day or so is to an issue. Sorry, but on a global or astronomical scale "patterns" never precise down to the second (to the best of my knowledge). In short he used some sort of "number theory" to recognize a pattern and used this to determine the likelihood of another major earthquake, and appears to have been quite accurate in making that "prediction".

Old 06-01-2015, 02:53 PM

15,296 posts, read 14,887,032 times
Quote:
Hmm... this looks interesting...

01-JUN-2015 10:46:27 44.55 -129.54 5.5 10 0 OFF COAST OF OREGON 5148862
01-JUN-2015 07:01:20 44.53 -129.76 4.3 10 18 OFF COAST OF OREGON 5148852
01-JUN-2015 06:52:41 44.44 -129.77 5.8 10 22 OFF COAST OF OREGON 5148851
We have an undersea volcano erupting there. If you wait another 200,000 years or so, we will have a new island off the coast. Earthquakes happen there several times a day. That's what erupting volcanoes do.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:05 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,938,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Okay, this is really weird . . . maybe (or maybe not). Before I continue, I want you to know that I started visiting "conspiracy" sites about two years ago and became really alarmed -- doom coming here, doom coming there, doom coming everywhere! (As I live in the Denver area, I think it was the "DIA conspiracy" that first got me hooked, and if you know anything about that, it is easy to see why that led to one thing after another!) Finally, though, I came to my senses, and I now visit those sites only for entertainment -- and only when I am completely bored!

So, anyway, there is now a YouTube video about a possible MASSIVE earthquake to occur on the west coast of the U.S. today at about 4:00 p.m., California time, due to certain and specific planetary alignment, and the creator of the video said this also corresponds exactly to one of Nostradamus's quatrains about an earthquake occurring in May under those exact same planetary conditions. This video is titled Global Coastal Event on May 28, 2015, and it has couple of links with data to support his conclusions. Many otherYoutubers are quoting him and appear to be taking this video quite seriously.

So, okay, one more "crazy" predicting the end of the world as we know it, right? (Big yawn.)

Well, there is also a well-known story, supposedly true (but possibly fictional) about a teenage boy, Joe Brandt, who hit his head in 1937 and had a series of dreams about a big earthquake in California (as well as other earthquakes and tsunamis in other parts of the world, including a big quake in Japan, and also volcanic eruptions in South America, all occurring all about the same time, within a day or a few days of the California quake) -- and these events were to take place at some time in the future where some women wore very short skirts and some men actually wore earrings! In Joe Brandt's dream, the California earthquakes started at a few minutes before 4:00 p.m., California time, on a sunny day that seemed to be in the spring. (You can find both the transcript and also a Youtube video, if you look.)

The really crazy part?? -- well, in the Youtube video Global Coastal Event on May 28, 2015, the man who made the video says that the earthquake will hit today at about 4:00 p.m., California time, the exact time as Joe Brandt "saw" in his dream!! (And, btw, today's forecast for Los Angeles is 75 degrees and sunny.)

Well, all I can say is that if it doesn't happen, I am going to have one HUGE and very well-deserved laugh at myself for even posting this thread!
Quote:
Why would I care about someone's "number theory" if it doesn't work? Theories are like a-holes, everyone has one and they all stink. In this case the prediction was for an earthquake 8.0 or higher on the West Coast, and I would certainly have accepted 7.9 or even 7.8 as being close enough .... but in fact there was nothing even remotely close to 8.0 on the entire North American continent, much less coastal Southern California.

I'm very open-minded, but not so much that my brains are spilling out.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:55 PM

291 posts, read 218,639 times
But even if he had a "theory" Hoogenbeets still isn't acting like a person who has a theory. If he had a theory he would do this:

1. say I was wrong.
2. Try to review my data and methods to not be wrong again.
3. use [2] to make another prediction that might be right.

He hasn't done that. He isn't in the land of theory. He's probably a viral marketer for San Andreas. Or he is loopy. There would be no shame in doing 1-3. Every great theorist in anything has had to say that they were wrong.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:16 PM

I'm aware of that. But in light of what's happened recently, it could be a lead up to something quite serious.

If you think there's no need to worry, that nothing in your area will happen in the near future...

Oregon State prof says 9.0 quake coming in 30-50 years

Earthquake Time Bombs: Robert Yeats: 9781107085244: Amazon.com: Books

Don't say you weren't warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
We have an undersea volcano erupting there. If you wait another 200,000 years or so, we will have a new island off the coast. Earthquakes happen there several times a day. That's what erupting volcanoes do.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:18 PM

I don't recall him saying anything in the May 21 video about a specific location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Why would I care about someone's "number theory" if it doesn't work? Theories are like a-holes, everyone has one and they all stink. In this case the prediction was for an earthquake 8.0 or higher on the West Coast, and I would certainly have accepted 7.9 or even 7.8 as being close enough .... but in fact there was nothing even remotely close to 8.0 on the entire North American continent, much less coastal Southern California.

I'm very open-minded, but not so much that my brains are spilling out.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:20 PM

And... you still haven't watched the video, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent hypnotist View Post
But even if he had a "theory" Hoogenbeets still isn't acting like a person who has a theory. If he had a theory he would do this:

1. say I was wrong.
2. Try to review my data and methods to not be wrong again.
3. use [2] to make another prediction that might be right.

He hasn't done that. He isn't in the land of theory. He's probably a viral marketer for San Andreas. Or he is loopy. There would be no shame in doing 1-3. Every great theorist in anything has had to say that they were wrong.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:28 PM

12,445 posts, read 12,491,838 times
Quote:
...Don't say you weren't warned.
You can tell summer break has started .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal