U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 04:04 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,312,539 times

Advertisements

And you believe you're accomplishing what exactly by trolling? If you're so skeptical about alternative perspectives and interpretations of the world we live in why bother even coming to a forum like this? There many other forums where you can promote your own ideas rather than trying to hijack threads and trying to shout down people you disagree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
You can tell summer break has started .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 07:44 AM

19,299 posts, read 22,976,064 times
The reason most people aren't worried about California falling into the ocean is that the rest of the country probably wouldn't miss it all that much. Sad, but true.

Mt. Rainier is going to be truly devastating if it ever has a major eruption.

But no, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this "prediction" turned out to be a viral marketing campaign for San Andreas. Given the $$$ the movie is raking in, I think we can probably starting counting the days till the sequel hits.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
It's also funny how some people will demand "proof" to be exact in a desperate effort to avoid acknowledging the improbability of a phenomena.
How silly of us to demand proof of outlandish predictions.

Seriously, what's the alternative? Believe every crackpotted announcement that hits the media?

Quote:
There's about a 1 in 365 chance that such a powerful earthquake would happen within a day or so of the prediction. I'm sorry but that makes it too unlikely to dismiss outright.

That makes no sense at all. It reminds me of that scene from The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill But Came Down a Mountain.

Reverend Morgan: "And you! You said it would rain!" (After it didn't.)

Thomas Twp: "And it will." (Eventually....)

Just because there is "a chance" something will happen, doesn't mean we have to take every prediction or prophecy seriously. There's a chance Elvis Presley will come out of hiding and declare his candidacy for the 2016 election. Just because there's a chance doesn't mean anyone should take the notion seriously.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:42 AM

11,221 posts, read 3,394,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
HIt reminds me of that scene from The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill But Came Down a Mountain.

Reverend Morgan: "And you! You said it would rain!" (After it didn't.)

Thomas Twp: "And it will." (Eventually....)

Just because there is "a chance" something will happen, doesn't mean we have to take every prediction or prophecy seriously. There's a chance Elvis Presley will come out of hiding and declare his candidacy for the 2016 election. Just because there's a chance doesn't mean anyone should take the notion seriously.
Love that movie -- and thanks for the smile!

Old 06-02-2015, 09:05 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,904,509 times
Quote:
I don't recall him saying anything in the May 21 video about a specific location.
The opening post wrote about it happening in the American west coast. Please stop trying to move the goalposts.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:43 PM

12,445 posts, read 12,412,929 times
Quote:
...If you're so skeptical about alternative perspectives and interpretations of the world we live in...
You have chosen to vehemently defend a position that even the OP recognizes is a lost cause. Then, you decide to introduce your own metrics for deciding if a prediction is accurate - something similar has to happen somewhere, at some point in time.

Fact: Using the Scientific Method reveals the prediction failed.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:05 PM

Again the video posted on May 21 he demonstrates a number theory that suggested another major quake would occur on May 28. Four of the quakes referred to in the calculation were "off" by about a day, hence the fact that the May 29 quake, which was initially measured at 8.5, is perfectly within the parameters of the prediction. No amount of denying it will change the fact that his "prediction" was fairly accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The opening post wrote about it happening in the American west coast. Please stop trying to move the goalposts.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:09 PM

I didn't "introduce [my] own metrics" - it's based on what he says in the May 21 video, which of course you haven't and won't watch, so you're arguments on this discussion are completely invalid. What does the "scientific method" have to say about arguing against something that one hasn't investigated or understands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
You have chosen to vehemently defend a position that even the OP recognizes is a lost cause. Then, you decide to introduce your own metrics for deciding if a prediction is accurate - something similar has to happen somewhere, at some point in time.

Fact: Using the Scientific Method reveals the prediction failed.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:21 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,904,509 times
Quote:
Again the video posted on May 21 he demonstrates a number theory that suggested another major quake would occur on May 28. Four of the quakes referred to in the calculation were "off" by about a day, hence the fact that the May 29 quake, which was initially measured at 8.5, is perfectly within the parameters of the prediction. No amount of denying it will change the fact that his "prediction" was fairly accurate.
OK, now I'm confused. Where was there an earthquake that came close to 8.5? I've seen no such thing, not even in that week.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
OK, now I'm confused. Where was there an earthquake that came close to 8.5? I've seen no such thing, not even in that week.
There was. In Japan. So if you consider Japan to be the western United States, I guess the prediction came true.

Earthquakes strike off Japan coast, injuring 2 - World - CBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal