U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 12:58 AM

7,114 posts, read 3,555,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Innumerable locations throughout the world were or are considered sacred and have deities with differing characteristics. Many of these sacred locations have been altered or destroyed "thanks" to progress and the apparent significance lost, although the spiritual significance may still remain. So what to you may look like a freeway or quaint all-American suburb is in fact a callous desecration which causes and contributes to "natural"-seeming problems, which, of course the modern western inhabitants are simply not attuned to. People also behaving certain ways at certain locations - whether they're aware of it or not - could also cause certain negative consequences to arise. ...
I accept that it was insulting and agree on the desecration of sacred sites but I do not accept that natural occurrences are in any way related to it. However, I would be interested to hear why you feel there is a connection, if you would care to explain?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 03:15 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,310,315 times
But who's arguing that all earthquakes everywhere are always caused by disrespectful nudity? This is about a specific earthquake alleged to have been caused by a specific act of disrespect at a specific location at a specific time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Keep in mind the devastating Indonesian tsunami in 2004 that killed 1000's of people along coastal area in numerous countries was generated by a massive and sudden tectonic shift in the ocean. Same thing occurred in Japan. I think it's fair to say there were no naked people out in the ocean to trigger either of those catastrophic events.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:00 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,629,004 times
Quote:
And would you be willing to provide any proof for this assertion?
The earth does not even know people exist let alone if they are clothed or not....or even what clothes are.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:40 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,120,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
The earth does not even know people exist let alone if they are clothed or not....or even what clothes are.
I dont know wether or not they caused the earth quake, but these idiots were told to respect local cultural traditions on the mountain. They still stripped and insulted their guide. What they need is a good caning.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:26 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,652,885 times
Quote:
But who's arguing that all earthquakes everywhere are always caused by disrespectful nudity? This is about a specific earthquake alleged to have been caused by a specific act of disrespect at a specific location at a specific time.
Why do you think that would apply to one incident but not for others? The problem with that view is that the earthquake did NOT occur at a specific time in response to a specific act at a specific location. The earthquake occurred about a month AFTER the disrespectful display of nudity. As near as I can tell, the awareness of any nudity was only AFTER photos of the act were posted.

Why do the locals consider the site of the quake to be a sacred spot?

How would an act of nudity generate an earthquake?

Old 06-11-2015, 03:45 AM

7,114 posts, read 3,555,613 times
Quote:
... but these idiots were told to respect local cultural traditions on the mountain. They still stripped and insulted their guide. What they need is a good caning.
Now that I would agree with. It could be compared to someone peeing on the grave of a loved one. If they were told and disrespected the culture of the locals (bearing in mind they were guests in that a land) then give them what they deserve - but they had nothing to do with the earthquake. It's more likely that some local pharted on the sacred mountain at that time and that caused the earthquake.

Last edited by 303Guy; 06-11-2015 at 04:27 AM..

Old 06-11-2015, 06:04 AM

2,985 posts, read 3,595,197 times
Quote:
Malaysia blames earthquake on nude western tourists
So the Malaysian government detained these tourists because they believe some mythical ooga-booga in the moutain took offense to their nudity and caused an earthquake as a result.

Let's all hope that Malaysia never manages to develop a nuclear weapon.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:44 AM

309 posts, read 223,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Is there much seismic activity in Scandinavia? There were a lot of naked people running around on the beaches in Denmark when I was there.
The Nordic gods that rule over Denmark are free spirits, they don't mind people enjoying themselves a little.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:14 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,652,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
I dont know wether or not they caused the earth quake, but these idiots were told to respect local cultural traditions on the mountain. They still stripped and insulted their guide. What they need is a good caning.
This is from the article that was posted:
"Last month a group of 10 Europeans including two Canadians, two Dutch and a German national broke away from their group at the mountain’s summit and stripped naked before taking photos."

There's no indication the guide even knew about the nudity at the time. Any insult felt by the guide would most likely have been after the photos were discovered. I think it's pretty clear that their nudity didn't cause the earthquake. However, when the locals became aware of it, they were understandably offended by it.

That said, these people were foreigners. In my opinion, it's the responsibility of foreign visitors to be aware of the customs and cultural traditions, to be aware of the dos and don'ts, of the country they are visiting. I'm pretty sure they had an idea that stripping was a big no-no considering they broke away from the group to do so, obviously so they wouldn't be seen. It doesn't matter if the locals believe various superstitions to be true or not, their beliefs should still be respected. The problem is that such actions can make locals see all foreigners as rude and disrespectful. It's a problem that the actions of a few can have an impact on the majority.

I don't think the foreigners need to be caned, although that would likely send a very big message to any other foreigners to avoid committing the same offense. Foreigners are still subjected to the laws of the country they are visiting. Some people seem to think visiting a foreign country is like a trip to Disneyland. While some actions may be acceptable or overlooked in their own country, that doesn't mean it's acceptable in all countries. They probably should be black-listed from ever entering the country again.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:24 AM

9,366 posts, read 7,964,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I am not sure if I believe the tourists are to blame for the quake, but I do think it was wrong of them to travel to the home of others, and show that kind of disrespect.
I am damn sure they're not to blame for the earthquake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal