U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:33 PM

29,021 posts, read 50,209,385 times

Advertisements

Something crashed near Roswell, New Mexico, 68 years ago. The first military authorized press release stated, "RAAF (Roswell Army Air Field) Captures Flying Saucer On Ranch In Roswell Region." That's right, the military was the first to indicate it was a flying saucer.

Roswell's Unanswered UFO Questions
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 11:23 PM

381 posts, read 553,677 times
That whole incident is truly strange. The recent explanation that it was a Cold War nuclear test observation balloon is certainly plausible.

I wish someone had saved some of those metal parts or at least taken a few photos.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:58 AM

19,189 posts, read 22,893,373 times
I grew up in and around Roswell. The truth is that no one in town cared or knew much about the supposed UFO crash --- until the 1990s when The X-Files became such a huge hit. Then the town decided to capitalize on it, have the UFO parade, open the UFO museum, etc. Even today, most of the locals don't give a flying flip about it. It's just for tourists.

When I was a kid, if you had asked the average citizen of Roswell what they thought about the UFO crash, 95% of them probably would have answered, "What UFO crash?"

Old 07-06-2015, 09:14 AM

1,520 posts, read 916,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchman View Post
That whole incident is truly strange. The recent explanation that it was a Cold War nuclear test observation balloon is certainly plausible.

I wish someone had saved some of those metal parts or at least taken a few photos.
Can you imagine one of our most advanced military bases mistaking an observation balloon for a flying saucer and then announcing it to the press? That in itself should have raised concerns about the mental well-being of the commander if indeed it was a balloon.

By the way, on his death bed, he said folks from Washington changed the story and that a saucer had indeed crashed.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:27 AM

1,684 posts, read 539,286 times
Ex–CIA agent Chase Brandon says he knows what really happened.

“It was not a damn weather balloon,” Brandon told the Huffington Post. (And also reported in Time) “It was a craft that clearly did not come from this planet.” The 35-year agency veteran was a covert agent involved in international terrorism, counterinsurgency, global narcotics trafficking and weapons smuggling.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:11 AM

14,051 posts, read 20,282,302 times
Well you can go to the amusingly named "International UFO Museam and Research Center" in Roswell and look at the paper mache autopsy displays and buy stuff at the gift shop. You can even bring your dog in, I got a T-shirt from the place last year. Campy to the extreme, and that's what makes it such a fun place.

Really man, the Roswell crash is just a fun make-believe fable tale of a crash that was epically blown out-of-proportions. Now it's a fun legend, like the unicorn and bigfoot, relegated to a couple campy tourist-trap museams in Roswell and a plot device for the former X-files TV show..I think it was mentioned on that UFO invasion movie "Independence Day" as well.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
Ex–CIA agent Chase Brandon says he knows what really happened.

“It was not a damn weather balloon,” Brandon told the Huffington Post. (And also reported in Time) “It was a craft that clearly did not come from this planet.” The 35-year agency veteran was a covert agent involved in international terrorism, counterinsurgency, global narcotics trafficking and weapons smuggling.
Chase Brandon is a joke and a fraud....CIA agent yeah right LOL, he was a public employee liason with Hollywood that started to take himself and Hollywood fiction too seriously. In other words, he invented his own world to sell books and movies.

A Different Perspective: Roswell and Chase Brandon

Old 07-06-2015, 11:24 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,105,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Well you can go to the amusingly named "International UFO Museam and Research Center" in Roswell and look at the paper mache autopsy displays and buy stuff at the gift shop. You can even bring your dog in, I got a T-shirt from the place last year. Campy to the extreme, and that's what makes it such a fun place.

Really man, the Roswell crash is just a fun make-believe fable tale of a crash that was epically blown out-of-proportions. Now it's a fun legend, like the unicorn and bigfoot, relegated to a couple campy tourist-trap museams in Roswell and a plot device for the former X-files TV show..I think it was mentioned on that UFO invasion movie "Independence Day" as well.
Be careful what you say here.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Be careful what you say here.
haha...yeah I've seen and participated in some of the bigfoot threads here, and wow those guys get contentious and defensive.
Let me change that to "unicorns and leprechauns"...although who knows there may be some that proclaim the leprechauns exist.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:43 PM

4,015 posts, read 3,228,474 times
I loved the X Files and will watch the new ones. I believe there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. But...

We have not observed anything that requires FTL travel to explain. We have not really proven time to be a dimension that can ever be crossed. I believe in the block time theory; matter only exists in the present. The rate at which matter is aging as it enters the future can be affected by relative speeds; an electron circling an atom might make more or less orbits as one at the same temperature but moving at a different speed. So what? Anyway, all this taken together means that I think even highly advanced civilizations would still be restricted to travel at a fraction of light speed. We have only been emitting meaningful radio waves for a century or so; it's only slightly likely that any other civilization even knows we are here yet and they almost certainly haven't had time to decide to come and get here. If it ever does happen, I think it is likely to be a large ship that has been traveling for years.

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 07-06-2015 at 01:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal