Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 10:52 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times

Advertisements

We see it over and over in this thread, discussions and arguments on whether ghosts, aliens, spirits etc exist...

Geez, believe what your mind extrapolates it sees, have faith and confidence in yourself and your judgements, stop looking for others to confirm what you think you saw or experienced...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 11:16 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
I think that the very strangeness of some experiences drive one to reach out for some validation. There is comfort, and perhaps resolution in the discovery that one is not alone in having such an experience.

Then there are those who just simply enjoy the topics.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:36 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
We see it over and over in this thread, discussions and arguments on whether ghosts, aliens, spirits etc exist...

Geez, believe what your mind extrapolates it sees, have faith and confidence in yourself and your judgements, stop looking for others to confirm what you think you saw or experienced...
The same could be asked of religious/born again folks. Just not on this sub-forum. But aren't we all like that to a greater or lesser extent? We want others to see things as we do and accept what we 'know' to be true or fact. We have to train ourselves not to do that and sometimes it's not easy.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:17 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Jeez-- pl -- without this discourse there is no forum....

And seriously, there is nothing worse than that feeling of being alone. The only person who is feeling this, or seeing this.

I can remember while going through a hard time, the feeling of RELIEF when I found out I wasn't alone... and all I did was find a BOOK over it.

This is part of the human experience.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:10 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
We want others to see things as we do and accept what we 'know' to be true or fact. We have to train ourselves not to do that and sometimes it's not easy.
Depends on the forum. But we"re in UEM&P...I refuse to defend my posts in this forum to non believers, but can toss a rude barb as well, usually all they're looking for.
Why else would non believers join these threads?
I think most of them under the impression, posters lack intelligence and gullible..or far out new age beliefs, farthest thing from the truth.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:30 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
So...who do think responsible for argument side of discussions? Some forum members will engage in defending their beliefs and offer explanations of experience and vast knowledge.

Would you go into a forum where you have no experience or knowledge to speak from and argue?

Old 07-11-2015, 05:39 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Unfortunately, there are folk who really cannot exist without some kind of proof that what they believe is true. A validated belief seems to be paramount to them. Hence they can only argue for things which are validated by science and against things which cannot be absolutely proved by science.

Things such as paranormal events or experiential events are un-provable and as such are not valid belief candidates for them. Yet the same people are often religious or take their everyday beliefs from those they see as authority figures.

The truth is that science does not get it right all the time and relying on science to guide you only works for a while. Sometimes you just have to believe in what you have experienced yourself.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:04 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:

I have never wanted anyone to believe what I believe, nor have I ever tried to get validation from anyone on this or any other thread. Especially when it comes to traditional tribal legends, whether they be about bigfoot or anything else. I couldn't care less what you think or believe or your opinion on my beliefs. Does that help any?

I have also never seen anyone DESPERATE for others to believe in ghosts, aliens, etc. Please show us a link where someone is DESPERATE. Do you have some scientific criteria to show that the person is actually DESPERATE? Or is your thread title anecdotal?

It sounds to me like you are desperate for someone to agree with you about your premise. Your thread title sounds like you yourself are asking for validation.

How difficult is it for you to accept that some people believe in a foreskin-hating god with a bastard son? Everyone has their own beliefs. You might want to ask yourself the very same question.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:18 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
It's human nature op.Many want to portray their thoughts and have them recognized in an agreement.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Things such as paranormal events or experiential events are un-provable and as such are not valid belief candidates for them. Yet the same people are often religious or take their everyday beliefs from those they see as authority figures.
I disagree with your characterization that religious people are prime offenders. Technically, religious people are in the same boat as having beliefs that cannot be proved.

What you may be referring to is a doctrinal lack of belief in some paranormal phenomena. However, this is normal. Buddhists don't believe in the trinity, a Christian may not believe in reincarnation, etc.

Everyone is free to believe what they want to believe. Like the OP said, there is no need to seek validation from others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal