U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 09:49 AM

95 posts, read 86,789 times

Advertisements

Hi my husband said that the balester in the light gets to hot and the lights power down when the balester gets to hot. oh I said lol its not because of me? he laughted and said sorry its just the balester getting to hot shutting off the light. That is suppose to happen lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 12:16 PM

11,567 posts, read 14,603,598 times
It is called SLIDER phenomenon. Not as often discussed as spontaneous Human combustion, Ghosts or UFO's but falls under the category of psychokinetic ability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street...nce_phenomenon

Old 09-06-2015, 01:15 PM

7,068 posts, read 3,534,602 times
Is this when approached on foot or driving past? Driving past is nothing mysterious, it's the headlights causing (in the twilight) it but walking past? Why would lights happen to overheat or reach the tipping point just as you walk under them. It would be random if it were that one would think.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:27 PM

6,232 posts, read 6,825,365 times
As a high pressure sodium lamp is burned for long periods of time, its operating voltage tends to increase. When this point is reached, the lamp will exhibit cycling on and off characteristics. This is normal end of life lamp. Replace the lamp after checking ballast open circuit voltage and lamp operating voltage.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:23 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,413,863 times
Some people cannot wear battery-powered wristwatches because of this phenomena.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:50 PM

19,284 posts, read 25,839,940 times
this does happen to me quite often,,,use to freak me out,,,,bigtime...

id even predict it would happen and it did....

not so much anymore

Old 09-06-2015, 05:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,136 posts, read 62,117,434 times
There is a light around the corner from us and another at the park & ride I use where they go on for about 1 minute, then off for another and repeat. If someone drives by at the moment it goes off it may seem that they caused it, but it's a totally random coincidence. Eventually someone will report it to the city and the bulb will get replaced.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:47 PM

172 posts, read 85,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There is a light around the corner from us and another at the park & ride I use where they go on for about 1 minute, then off for another and repeat. If someone drives by at the moment it goes off it may seem that they caused it, but it's a totally random coincidence. Eventually someone will report it to the city and the bulb will get replaced.
I used to think this was a random occurrence, but I have since decided this cannot be so. It happens almost every time I walk under the street lights in my neighborhood; that is, the lights will suddenly go off.
D. Scott's post (above) in this thread has it right; the term used to describe this is "Slider."

The term "sliders" was coined by Hilary Evans, a researcher and author of the book, "Sliders: The Enigma of Streetlight Interference." The book explores this strange seemingly paranormal occurrence and includes the results of his research on the subject (after hearing from hundreds of people who reported having these unusual experiences when coming in close proximity to streetlights.)

Apparently, Sliders have also reported frequent malfunctions when wearing wristwatches and when using compasses.

More info.: Mystery Of Streetlight Interference - Are You Also A SLIder? - MessageToEagle.com

Old 09-06-2015, 09:00 PM

476 posts, read 1,175,577 times
This happens to me all the time. Now I'm going to read about Sliders!

Old 09-06-2015, 10:37 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,024,267 times
The light out in front of my house can be turned off just by banging on the pole. It goes out and then slowly comes back on. Seems vibrations can cause some lights to turn off. A vehicle or just walking by. No paranormal activity here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal