U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2015, 08:15 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
87,909 posts, read 81,736,093 times
Reputation: 91819

Advertisements

OP, you spoke to the father, who looked much better than when you'd previously seen him, but the son answered? Was the son present? If he answered, it could indicate that the father wasn't present, so the son assumed you were talking to him (the son). And were you in the habit of addressing the father in English, even though you didn't think he spoke the language?

Fascinating story.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2015, 09:02 PM
 
13,629 posts, read 22,257,867 times
Reputation: 24452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you spoke to the father, who looked much better than when you'd previously seen him, but the son answered? Was the son present? If he answered, it could indicate that the father wasn't present, so the son assumed you were talking to him (the son). And were you in the habit of addressing the father in English, even though you didn't think he spoke the language?

Fascinating story.
Ruth -- I generally say Hello in a friendly fashion to everyone. So when the son walked out of the elevator and the father followed I simply said -- Hello, how are you today? The son answered Fine, thank you, how are you? And I replied Fine thank you. and the father nodded to me like usual. Pretty typical exchange. And I went about cleaning the trash chute.

The father never spoke to me, as I don't think he spoke English. He always smiled and nodded.

Heck, in my job I have people who don't acknowledge me at all -- walk past me like I am invisible, even if I say hello. I learned who to ignore -- I consider if they wish to not be bothered by the help, that's fine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2015, 07:43 PM
 
9,153 posts, read 7,971,161 times
Reputation: 13954
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
I always forget about the thin veil, close to October 31st. Thanks for the reminder.
So, can you communicate with the dead on Oct 31 by thinking, or do you speak out loud to them?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2015, 08:18 PM
 
Location: NW AR
2,438 posts, read 2,383,280 times
Reputation: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
So, can you communicate with the dead on Oct 31 by thinking, or do you speak out loud to them?
That was my reply to another post. It was on the first page. See below. ( actually, I think it means you can see spirits easier because of the thin veil) I wouldn't think that, think or talk would be part of the equation around Oct 31st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
No, I wouldn't mention it either. This may not be the last sighting of dad; the veil between worlds the thinnest on Oct 31st.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2015, 06:14 PM
 
12,201 posts, read 11,521,456 times
Reputation: 4915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
This sort of thing freaks people out, and we make a good living there, and I don't want to risk the contract.

So -- no, I'm keeping my mouth shut.
Smart. Don't lose your job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2015, 06:32 PM
 
13,629 posts, read 22,257,867 times
Reputation: 24452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Smart. Don't lose your job.
I'm getting close to retirement. There are days it's very tempting to start telling people what I think. But I know in reality, it won't help anyone, it won't change anything, and it will just make everyone else try to make me miserable.

Anyhow -- as an update -- I haven't seen the son or the dad since....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 09:04 PM
 
Location: North West Arkansas (zone 6b)
2,777 posts, read 2,460,615 times
Reputation: 3874
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
the veil between worlds the thinnest on Oct 31st.
interesting comment. My wife notices more spirits walking around this time of year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2015, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Maine
1,246 posts, read 1,033,594 times
Reputation: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I'm getting close to retirement. There are days it's very tempting to start telling people what I think. But I know in reality, it won't help anyone, it won't change anything, and it will just make everyone else try to make me miserable.

Anyhow -- as an update -- I haven't seen the son or the dad since....
Tallysmom- I was highly interested in your story as having had a similar situation two years ago.
At the time we lived in a house in Virginia that was always active in activity on the inside, and one in the yard. These are other stories in of themselves, but the story that stuck me resembled yours and gave pause even today.

Two years ago, I was out in the yard with the dogs. Our neighbors, a retired couple of english descent, were a friendly warm couple though they did keep to themselves.
The husband, however, loved to watch the dogs run in our yard, and frequently came to the fence line to watch them. He would also wave at us in a gentle acknowledging way as we were always out in the yard when the dogs were out in our fenced in yard.

This one day, I was relieved to see him standing at the fence line. He looked younger to me, which rather shocked me at the time. Additionally We had not seen him in a few days. He did not wave that time, but continued to stand there staring. Did not move his head in the flying traffic of the running group which was also odd. So I waved to him. I found it odd he did not wave back, but gave it no more of a second though other than making a mental note of " hmm- wonder if he is bothered by something with the dogs. ". I started to walk to the fence, one of the dogs came flying past me, and I turned to watch her. I turned back to continue my walk to the fence and he was gone.

I stopped in my tracks of " hmm must have walked into the woods or something" and " man- he sure moved fast..".

That evening I saw the wife out in the yard with her son. Her son did not come over often so the dogs all ran to the fence. She walked over to the fence, and I saw a pained look in her face. She then told me that he had died the afternoon before and had callapsed in the yard.
I paused in shock but also acknowledged her grief and loss. Puzzled I walked back into the house.
Two days later I told her what I saw. She said " he always mentioned when he saw the dogs from inside the house that he was going out to see them run... your statement means more to me than you could know... "

We never saw him again in the yard. It should be noted that the time of day I saw him was 24 hours after his death.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2015, 01:05 PM
 
13,629 posts, read 22,257,867 times
Reputation: 24452
Monday, I saw the old gentleman again. This time he was walking with a cane around the courtyard and the hallways. When he saw me he spoke with me about the rain we got. Then he went back outside. A woman next to me said -- he had been so ill it was nice to see him looking so well...

And I said -- oh, good, so you see him, too... and told her I had been told he had died.

Yeah -- thankfully, he's very much with us, and looking SO much better.

I think the universe was playing a joke on me -- I love ghost stories in October and I think it gave me one.

And to top it off, the person who told me called me yesterday to tell me she had been mistaken...

Last edited by Tallysmom; 11-11-2015 at 06:32 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2015, 10:05 PM
 
12,907 posts, read 11,752,422 times
Reputation: 18320
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Tallysmom- I was highly interested in your story as having had a similar situation two years ago.
At the time we lived in a house in Virginia that was always active in activity on the inside, and one in the yard. These are other stories in of themselves, but the story that stuck me resembled yours and gave pause even today.

Two years ago, I was out in the yard with the dogs. Our neighbors, a retired couple of english descent, were a friendly warm couple though they did keep to themselves.
The husband, however, loved to watch the dogs run in our yard, and frequently came to the fence line to watch them. He would also wave at us in a gentle acknowledging way as we were always out in the yard when the dogs were out in our fenced in yard.

This one day, I was relieved to see him standing at the fence line. He looked younger to me, which rather shocked me at the time. Additionally We had not seen him in a few days. He did not wave that time, but continued to stand there staring. Did not move his head in the flying traffic of the running group which was also odd. So I waved to him. I found it odd he did not wave back, but gave it no more of a second though other than making a mental note of " hmm- wonder if he is bothered by something with the dogs. ". I started to walk to the fence, one of the dogs came flying past me, and I turned to watch her. I turned back to continue my walk to the fence and he was gone.

I stopped in my tracks of " hmm must have walked into the woods or something" and " man- he sure moved fast..".

That evening I saw the wife out in the yard with her son. Her son did not come over often so the dogs all ran to the fence. She walked over to the fence, and I saw a pained look in her face. She then told me that he had died the afternoon before and had callapsed in the yard.
I paused in shock but also acknowledged her grief and loss. Puzzled I walked back into the house.
Two days later I told her what I saw. She said " he always mentioned when he saw the dogs from inside the house that he was going out to see them run... your statement means more to me than you could know... "

We never saw him again in the yard. It should be noted that the time of day I saw him was 24 hours after his death.
That's so sad. Poor man liked watching your dogs and appeared one last time. Your story made me tear up a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Monday, I saw the old gentleman again. This time he was walking with a cane around the courtyard and the hallways. When he saw me he spoke with me about the rain we got. Then he went back outside. A woman next to me said -- he had been so ill it was nice to see him looking so well...

And I said -- oh, good, so you see him, too... and told her I had been told he had died.

Yeah -- thankfully, he's very much with us, and looking SO much better.

I think the universe was playing a joke on me -- I love ghost stories in October and I think it gave me one.

And to top it off, the person who told me called me yesterday to tell me she had been mistaken...
I just read through this thread, feeling increasingly creeped out - only to read this. I laughed a little. Good to hear he's alive! Bless him.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top