Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 04:44 AM

6,937 posts, read 6,868,065 times

Advertisements

These features are the reason I am looking for clear satellite images of Antarctica and is the reason for my other thread. So far I have only Google map images to base my opinion on and to be sure about this, I need to see other images of the same areas.

As we all probably know, starting in 1947, Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd, Jr. had a few interesting experiences in Antarctica and so it is possible what he experienced was not a trick of light or snow blindness but actual events happening as he reported them. If so, then we are ignoring a huge issue which would change the way we look at this bleak frosty continent forever.

I would like you to consider some strange lake-shaped features in the Antarctican landscape which could be something other than lakes. I will show pictures of two such 'lakes' below and if you are interested you can use Google Maps to have a look for yourself as I have given the co-ordinates. This could be a real unexplained mystery or it could be just a couple of lakes, you decide. One thing I will say is that Antarctica does have some lakes which are liquid water in the summer months so not everything there is ice and rock.

The first one is unusually almost triangle shaped is at 66deg 33min 13.74secs South, 99deg 50minutes 18.38 secs East

The second one right in the centre of this image is not that far away at 66deg 36mins 13.82secs South, 99deg 43mins 13.63secs East. To me it looks as if it has a metal overhanging cover on the right hand side, but that maybe an optical illusion.

To help you decide, I have included a standard Antarctic lake with water flowing in from one end and flowing out of the other and some partially melted ice water near to the edges. Not sure where I found this one. It seems to me that the water nearest the middle in lakes is the last to melt but I am sure most of you have seen frozen lakes and know about these things better than I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 08:57 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,485,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
The first one is unusually almost triangle shaped is at 66deg 33min 13.74secs South, 99deg 50minutes 18.38 secs East
"Almost" triangle shaped? Is that like "almost pregnant"? Is this more unusual because it is "almost" triangle shaped as opposed to actually being triangle shaped? These pictures are "almost" proof.

Proof of what I do not know but I would suspect it is more proof of something that is not in Antarctica than something that is in Antarctica.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:40 PM

how many lakes Antarctica have you seen with 'covers' over them and how many triangular shaped areas of water have you seen there?

Thats why I need other satellite images, to make sure they are lakes. As I said.
So you think they are lakes like the third image?

They dont look the same and normally water pools in puddles which are round, so it is not totally stupid to think it is strange.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:31 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,868,540 times
Quote:
...normally water pools in puddles which are round...
Water pools in the shape of the depression that contains it. If I dig a square hole in my yard the water will pool as a square "puddle."

Old 10-02-2015, 10:38 PM

11,022 posts, read 5,981,700 times
Relatively sharp edges and relatively straight lines are not uncommon in nature. Round lakes and depressions are quite rare but do occur as in crater lakes.

I would not have described that lake as triangular and I don't see anything that looks like a metal plate. It just looks like deep water in low light. Although, there does seem to be an ice sheet covering part of the lake in the second image or is just the light effects off the bottom of the lake?

Old 10-03-2015, 02:53 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,122 times
I'm not sure I get it, if they're not lakes, what else would they be?

Old 10-03-2015, 04:04 AM

Admiral Byrd reported an encounetr with a race of aliens in Antarctica, so was he having a breakdown or was he (as a naval admiral) a credible witness?

If there was any doubt about his sanity, would they have let him lead a mission to Antarctica? No, I dont think so. Look up the 1947 mission and read about it.

The first image possibly shows a roughly flying saucer shaped hole in the ground and the second shows a possible entrance to an underground base of some sort - maybe I can't tell. I am not the one who 'discovered' these, I am just opening this up for discussion.

There is no doubt that the Nazis were 'playing' with the idea of flying saucers at the end of the war. Von Brown and other scientists were given immunity from prosecution when they agreed to come and work in the USA. Von Brown went on to develop rockets which we now use to get into space, there is no telling what the other projects developed as we have not heard much about them.

Why would a Rear Admiral ruin his career and make up a story like that? On the other hand, why wouldn't a high ranking military person report to his superiors exactly what he experienced?

Old 10-03-2015, 08:04 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,193 times
Quote:
Why would a Rear Admiral ruin his career and make up a story like that? On the other hand, why wouldn't a high ranking military person report to his superiors exactly what he experienced?
Looks to me like the "secret diary" out there attributed to Byrd has as much relationship to reality as other fabrications like "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion"; t's a fabrication of the Hollow Earth crowd. Can you prove otherwise?

The lakes in Antartica are just that -- lakes, and I'll place a bet here and now that no mole men or Nazi flying saucers are going to be issuing from them. The earth isn't flat, and it isn't hollow, either.

If he did make up the story (I think it's just a fabrication attributed to him), why would he risk his reputation over it? Take any lie told in the last century by a person holding high office or in the military and ask the same question. People lie because there's something in it for them, and that includes whoever made up and published the "secret diary".

Here's a copy of the supposed "secret diary"; it reads like fan fiction written by someone who's read H. P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" one too many times:

http://www.v-j-enterprises.com/byrdiar.html

Last edited by Vasily; 10-03-2015 at 08:15 AM..

Old 10-03-2015, 08:37 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,485,378 times
Thank you for the link Vasily. Clearly a fake and fraud or hoax. It looks like parts of it were just plagiarized from other material.

If this were true and Admiral Byrd wanted to record it for all to read one day why would he not have put this out before he died? Seems like an unexplained contradiction to me.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:58 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Admiral Byrd was scarcely a frightened recluse. The appended interview dates from the very early fifties. He freely discusses Antarctica with no reticence. He's very comfortable in the interview and apparently unconcerned about secret alien bases. When this interview took place, television was still in its infancy. The cost limited its audience to people of good income, that is, the educated. Television shows of this sort are no longer made.

The interview would have only been four years or so after his supposed capture by aliens.

The fact that an alien spaceship probably crashed at Roswell doesn't mean that aliens are under every rock and in every remote cave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrdSal9uH28
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal