U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2015, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,925 posts, read 4,586,627 times
Reputation: 11328

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
No, it is not. As a matter of fact studies have found that the human memory is flawed. Eyewitness testimony is fairly weak and studies have shown that many people are wrong when recalling events, even when they have just seen the event!
I posted this quote recently in this thread:

"One thing to emphasize - a false eyewitness identification does NOT mean that the witness was lying. The witness is convinced that the identification is correct. Psychological research confirms this. ... What emerges from all this is the idea that a witness' degree of certainty does not necessarily have any connection to the actual truth of the identification. It is possible to be completely convinced, quite certain, and dead wrong! This principle applies in many other areas as well."
Rate this post positively

 
Old 10-11-2015, 11:29 AM
 
78 posts, read 64,677 times
Reputation: 241
'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Having a high IQ or PHD does not preclude a person from making mistakes, being duped, having their minds play tricks on them or having a mental illness.


I grew up Catholic but am non-practicing. I do not see the relationship between ghosts and the Holy Spirit as the Holy Spirit would be God and I am not sure if the Holy Spirit would be considered a ghost as I do not think it can even be seen. The Holy Spirit is supposed to be everywhere and within you.

Complete non comparison without even having to question belief systems which is what you were trying to accomplish but failed to do.

Lumping everyone in like you did with your response where you said things like this:


You ridicule people who do not believe in ghosts because they do not see the evidence to support it. You praise those who believe in ghosts despite this evidence.

No, it is not. As a matter of fact studies have found that the human memory is flawed. Eyewitness testimony is fairly weak and studies have shown that many people are wrong when recalling events, even when they have just seen the event!

Having a high IQ or PHD does not preclude a person from making mistakes, being duped, having their minds play tricks on them or having a mental illness.


This is fantastic news. Please post video's!

Of course you do. This is a highly bigoted statement. You are creating a straw man here, which of course you have to do because you have not real argument. Just because a person does not believe in ghosts does not mean they do not believe that there are unexplained things in this world. Also a person who states they do not believe in ghosts may change their mind if there is actually E V I D E N C E. But again after thousands of years, video and sound recording devices and millions of dollars to be made in shows there is 0 (ZERO) evidence that ghosts exist. Calling people weak minded because they do not believe in ghosts under those circumstances and feeling that you are better because you believe in something that has not proof is nothing more than vanity and mental masturbation.

This is interesting. Not only do you believe in ghosts you know what they are. I await your proof with open mind!

I think that statement belongs in the Urban Legends thread.


O RLY? Please enlighten us onto Einstein's proof of ghosts. LOL

The most amazing thing about this story is that this supposedly highly educated person with all of these big namedrops failed to record a video of this and also managed to lose money on a townhouse in DC!

OH, well that makes as much sense as ghosts since there are numerous shows and posts on this forum that would disprove that.

Perfect example. People would rather believe in ghosts which have no proof than to admit that people and security protocols are flawed. Amazing how this is not used in court more.
Uh, I'm sorry but it is blatant that by your responses you are bigoted and prejudicial on this matter as well. I'm not sure why you insist and twist that those who have not had paranormal experiences are being somehow one-upped by those who have or their sharing, belief or speculation constitutes wanting to be special. Some people have had unwanted and negative paranormal experiences not just benign. There not trying to be special which your claim is ridiculous, with the exceptions but there are people like that in every sphere. People share their experiences even while questioning reality and themselves. Its human and perfectly normal to do so. As for your example regarding religion, it further shows your dogmatic and prejudicial views. Many people believe in god etc but I wouldn't claim they all do so just to feel special. It is neither provable for a holy spirit either, gods, miracle claims etc but audaciously it is expected that peoples faith be respected. At least, paranormal or unusual phenomena was actually experienced and just because people are fascinated, perplexed and share what the experience. You think you have a right to denounce them for lack of measurable proof when its obvious to anyone neutral that people are just picking up that reality as we conventionally view it may not be just that.

I'm not exactly sure why you insist on being so hardheaded on this matter. It just seems you want to be contrary and even a bit bullyish. don't you just gth out and stay out if it bothers you so much. You don't have a right to throw your weight around literally like you are an all knowing authority trying to censor and scold you deity belief hypocrite. What if I told you some males like you who: identify with a fundamental all knowing god/entity due so out of ego identification? What if I told you it comes part and parcel with a dogmatic, right-wing, narrowminded, judgemental and hypocritical nature as yourself? you and your views are a type from social conditioning who is driven and believes they have the moral and social right to enforce the common established view of reality. People like you dont make discoveries etc but you have your place defending whatever is status quo. Back in the day, people like you would be part of the sentiment that this is witchery just like those who claimed the sun, not the earth center of solar system and be put to death, until ya know it was proven. But the thing is everything has a process as well as steps. There has to be people willing to step out on a limb and admit they experienced something contrary to current established definitions of reality and possibility. there not all trying to be special. That's your projection of your own.

Last edited by cyber123; 10-11-2015 at 11:42 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-11-2015, 11:33 AM
 
78 posts, read 64,677 times
Reputation: 241
Sorry about grammar and typos, typing from phone. I think some people believe that those who have had unexplained experiences are insinuating they have some special ability but they are just everyday people, some are theists as well as atheists. I'm sure there are those who dismiss or have dismissed their own experiences telling themselves it just can't be, imagination etc as we as those that just file it away in the back of their mind and never speak of it due to fear of questioned sanity as well as ridicule. I personally don't view these experiences in a religious context, I see them as possible clues that there may be alternate dimension of reality around us that get crossed sometimes and get a glimpse or even interact. It is not about self-glorification, it is about human curiosity about what is unknown.

Last edited by cyber123; 10-11-2015 at 12:17 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-11-2015, 03:03 PM
 
722 posts, read 1,074,672 times
Reputation: 992
I wonder why people always remember ghosts as appearing the same as they did in old photos? could it be the mind is visualizing what they remember or think a ghost should look like? why would a ghost be wearing clothing? what does wearing the same style of clothing have to do with being a ghost? they didnt die in those clothing, they were not buried in those clothing.

the same thing happens at old Civil War battlefields, people claim to see Civil war soldiers dressed in old uniforms, the mind can easily visualize this image, especially sice you already know what went on there during the CW.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-11-2015, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,925 posts, read 4,586,627 times
Reputation: 11328
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
the same thing happens at old Civil War battlefields, people claim to see Civil war soldiers dressed in old uniforms, the mind can easily visualize this image, especially sice you already know what went on there during the CW.
That's context effect. Being on a Civil War battlefield primes you to see a Civil War soldier, so if you receive an ambiguous visual signal, you'll tend to see it as a Civil War soldier. Or, if you're a believer in benign aliens visiting earth, you'll be inclined to interpret a sleep paralysis experience as a visitation by aliens rather than a demonic event as previous generations might. In most cases of hauntings I've read about, it seems that the time period of the "ghost" tends to correlate with the age of the location. Which to me suggests the context effect. That doesn't explain however hauntings where the "ghost" seems to interact with people.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-11-2015, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
29,537 posts, read 28,586,568 times
Reputation: 37285
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I wonder why people always remember ghosts as appearing the same as they did in old photos? could it be the mind is visualizing what they remember or think a ghost should look like? why would a ghost be wearing clothing? what does wearing the same style of clothing have to do with being a ghost? they didnt die in those clothing, they were not buried in those clothing.

the same thing happens at old Civil War battlefields, people claim to see Civil war soldiers dressed in old uniforms, the mind can easily visualize this image, especially sice you already know what went on there during the CW.
How would we know what someone died or was buried in? Why would a "ghost" appear in those clothes? If we're seeing a moment, like a photo, of something that happened at an earlier time, why would the clothes change?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-11-2015, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Under the Redwoods
3,751 posts, read 6,792,354 times
Reputation: 6079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
This is fantastic news. Please post video's!
Fantastic news?....mockery does not get one very far.
Post videos? Painting me into a corner? I did not own a video camera 20 years ago and I cannot go back in time. I would have loved to have had one though. As I could video tape the opening of a door that was only kept fully closed by a deadbolt lock. But even with actual proof, someone (like you perhaps) would say it was staged somehow.
The only real proof one could have is to be there in real time and experience the ghosts activities.

I know that many accounts are not paranormal and have logical physical explanations. I am not one to see a door open by itself and instantly say it's a ghost, I know better. I will cover all logical possibilities before assuming there is something unseen at work.
And I know it is really hard for some to grasp the possibility of such things when they have not been witness to it.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-11-2015, 04:35 PM
 
13,838 posts, read 22,456,198 times
Reputation: 25100
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I wonder why people always remember ghosts as appearing the same as they did in old photos? could it be the mind is visualizing what they remember or think a ghost should look like? why would a ghost be wearing clothing? what does wearing the same style of clothing have to do with being a ghost? they didnt die in those clothing, they were not buried in those clothing.

the same thing happens at old Civil War battlefields, people claim to see Civil war soldiers dressed in old uniforms, the mind can easily visualize this image, especially sice you already know what went on there during the CW.
Why wouldn't a loved one appear as you knew him?

Regarding Civil War ghosts, there USA theory that intense emotions and deaths imprint themselves onto a place. So if you see something there, likely what you are seeing is more like a video that plays over and over, rather than an active ghost that has the ability to interact with you.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-11-2015, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
5,170 posts, read 3,661,989 times
Reputation: 6321
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Fantastic news?....mockery does not get one very far.
Post videos? Painting me into a corner? I did not own a video camera 20 years ago and I cannot go back in time. I would have loved to have had one though. As I could video tape the opening of a door that was only kept fully closed by a deadbolt lock. But even with actual proof, someone (like you perhaps) would say it was staged somehow.
The only real proof one could have is to be there in real time and experience the ghosts activities.

I know that many accounts are not paranormal and have logical physical explanations. I am not one to see a door open by itself and instantly say it's a ghost, I know better. I will cover all logical possibilities before assuming there is something unseen at work.
And I know it is really hard for some to grasp the possibility of such things when they have not been witness to it.
I am not mocking you. I am just interested in proof of this subject. A lot of what I have seen posted in this thread as proof seem to fall more under the guise of urban legend than fact.

Quote:
ur·ban
leg·end
noun
plural noun: urban legends

a humorous or horrific
story or piece of information circulated as though true, especially one
purporting to involve someone vaguely related or known to the
teller.
The reason I ask for proof or make what I feel are simple observations is to try to evaluate the likelihood that there is any truth to the story.

Asking someone who says that so and so lived in a haunted house and every night at 2:11 AM a door would close for video is a good test to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Why wouldn't a loved one appear as you knew him?

Regarding Civil War ghosts, there USA theory that intense emotions and deaths imprint themselves onto a place. So if you see something there, likely what you are seeing is more like a video that plays over and over, rather than an active ghost that has the ability to interact with you.
In science what you are saying is not a theory, it is a hypothesis. There is a huge difference.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-11-2015, 07:18 PM
 
Location: NW AR
2,438 posts, read 2,402,952 times
Reputation: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber123 View Post
Sorry about grammar and typos, typing from phone. I think some people believe that those who have had unexplained experiences are insinuating they have some special ability but they are just everyday people, some are theists as well as atheists. I'm sure there are those who dismiss or have dismissed their own experiences telling themselves it just can't be, imagination etc as we as those that just file it away in the back of their mind and never speak of it due to fear of questioned sanity as well as ridicule. I personally don't view these experiences in a religious context, I see them as possible clues that there may be alternate dimension of reality around us that get crossed sometimes and get a glimpse or even interact. It is not about self-glorification, it is about human curiosity about what is unknown.

Yeah, you could say that. I use to see a whole lot more than I do now. I just simply go through periods where I am bored with it. And not everyone that has abilities is atheist. Agreed with most of your post though. I'm also the one that sent you a note.( couldn't put my name on there, not long enough)
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top