Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 12:19 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 02:57 PM

24,113 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Nonsense. The fact remains (not "I was told...") - no resident after the Lutz's, including the Cromerty's, has claimed anything supernatural occurring in the house. If they did, you would bet the social media would jump on it. Quite the opposite was true, as evidence was exposed that the physical damage or description to some of the rooms given in the book was simply false.

There have been three owners of the property since the Cromerty's, 2 of them owned the house for over a decade - including the Cromerty's that includes 3. One moved because of the very real horror of expensive property taxes. Why would one family be beset with spirits and move out within a month while others happily resided for over a decade? One assumes that one of the owners, who bought the house for $350,000 and later sold it for close to a million dollars, indeed is having a happy life.

Amityville FAQ - The Property

One again, you mention it as well, the Lutz's were obsessed with the occult before they moved into Amityville. That explains everything - confirmation bias. You had a family that gave in to the worst extreme case of Confirmation Bias where every bump in the night was attributed to demons, and then exploited by publishers and lawyers for profit.
Oh. You have pretty much confirmed what I have said. Nothing good has happened to anyone who has lived in the house.

I am not assuming anything about the people who sold the house for close to 1 million. You seem to assume that money makes people happy.

The essential flaw in your post is your attempt to apply scientific method to supernatural events.
You are wasting your time. You speak another language.

Talk about nonsense.

ETA - some data can be collected by oral accounts. That is acceptable in a police investigation. It is certainly acceptable here.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:34 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Danny Lutz (grown son) is the perfect example of what happens to people as a result of others trying to capitalize on superstitious legends.

He is a very superstitious person today, but I certainly can't judge him, especially after his experience of having lived with the family and through the entire media circus of the Amityville Horror.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Danny Lutz (grown son) is the perfect example of what happens to people as a result of others trying to capitalize on superstitious legends.

He is a very superstitious person today, but I certainly can't judge him, especially after his experience of having lived with the family and through the entire media circus of the Amityville Horror.
He certainly is the result of a dysfunctional family and physically abusive parents.

I watched "My Amityville Horror". Lutz seems mentally ill. Bi-polar comes to mind. Similar, but not as bad, as Ron DeFeo.

While none of the Lutz "children" talk to one another, not one denies that there was paranormal activity in that house.

The biggest deniers appear to be the Cromarty family, who do not enjoy a good reputation on Long Island's south shore, as well as people here on C-D who do not believe in the paranormal anyway. So, why should this be different?

Old 12-08-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Wow...

Demonic doesn't resonate with everyone, hard to wrap your head around, but even looking from the standpoint of laws of attraction; what a magnet for negative energy.
The south shore of Long Island is very active, in terms of paranormal activity. It is a hot bed of activity.

There was a famous case that occurred in the late 50s in Seaford, another South Shore Long Island town.

http://truelegends.info/amityville/poltergeist.htm

http://www.survivalafterdeath.info/a...tt/seaford.htm

Old 12-09-2015, 04:09 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The essential flaw in your post is your attempt to apply scientific method to supernatural events.
You are wasting your time. You speak another language.
Why would the scientific method not work on supernatural events?

The Ghost Hunters on TV do not even attempt to apply it. As a matter of fact when they find even the slightest proof of a ghost they leave the area instead of taking joy in the fact that they now have something to study and document.

I am not sure why anyone believing in ghosts would NOT want this?

Old 12-09-2015, 06:31 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
The Ghost Hunters on TV do not even attempt to apply it. As a matter of fact when they find even the slightest proof of a ghost they leave the area instead of taking joy in the fact that they now have something to study and document.
Have they ever found anything close to real evidence?

I only kind of casually watch the show with my kids. The most I have ever seen them find is static on their audio recordings. Static could be any number of things. It doesn't prove ghosts. Have they found more than that?

I'm all for investigating ghosts. I'm just more than a little skeptical that wandering around in old houses with the lights turned off and screaming into the dark is the best method.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:57 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Why would the scientific method not work on supernatural events?

I am not sure why anyone believing in ghosts would NOT want this?

The scientific method counts on results being replicated. You add vinegar to baking soda it fizzes. It ALWAYS fizzes.

People are oddball. Therefore ghosts are oddball. First off you keep poking it at, it might go away... therefore the next scientist in doesn't find anything. Which according to scientific methods means it doesn't exist.

A popular thing the Ghost Shows use is the K2 meter. They ask questions and the ghost can manipulate the meter by making the lights go up. Let's say this is legit.

And now we have a scientist ghost show

The scientists go to the place where the ghost is. The put the K2 meter down and start asking questions. It works for Bill... but not for Beth, or Sam, or Lilly. Bill comes back and it starts working. Lilly tries again and gets weak results.

Now we have to ask why. Doesn't this make a good show? NOT! But that's not the issue. When they get down to the nuts and bolts of why didn't it work? Well -- because we only have ONE side of the equation -- the scientists and the K2, we can't know scientifically, because the other side of the equation --the ghostie -- we can't talk to him, we can't see him, we can't test him....

That's where faith comes in -- not in a religious meaning. If you believe in spirits, all the stuff you've just seen is proof. If you don't, then this whole show is proof. Of two completely different mindsets.

That's my whole issue about proof. There's a quote -- "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Especially about something like paranormal.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:50 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The scientific method counts on results being replicated. You add vinegar to baking soda it fizzes. It ALWAYS fizzes.
This is not true.
Quote:
People are oddball. Therefore ghosts are oddball.
OK, This is one of those things that seems true but is not. Human behavior, especially in large numbers, us relatively predictable.

Quote:
First off you keep poking it at, it might go away... therefore the next scientist in doesn't find anything. Which according to scientific methods means it doesn't exist.
OK, this may happen for one ghost, it may happen for two ghosts, but long term, with enough ghosts it should not happen every time. Also a lot of the stories show predictable behavior.....until someone breaks the camera out or there are witnesses....
Quote:
A popular thing the Ghost Shows use is the K2 meter. They ask questions and the ghost can manipulate the meter by making the lights go up. Let's say this is legit.

And now we have a scientist ghost show

The scientists go to the place where the ghost is. The put the K2 meter down and start asking questions. It works for Bill... but not for Beth, or Sam, or Lilly. Bill comes back and it starts working. Lilly tries again and gets weak results.

Now we have to ask why. Doesn't this make a good show? NOT!
Wait? WHAT? One person interacting with a ghost would not make a good show? Mediums make a lot of money doing this very thing!
Quote:
But that's not the issue. When they get down to the nuts and bolts of why didn't it work? Well -- because we only have ONE side of the equation -- the scientists and the K2, we can't know scientifically, because the other side of the equation --the ghostie -- we can't talk to him, we can't see him, we can't test him....
Wait....are you saying....and I am asking this as someone you have banned for saying less....that people cannot talk to ghosts? Can I say that on this forum?
Quote:
That's where faith comes in -- not in a religious meaning. If you believe in spirits, all the stuff you've just seen is proof. If you don't, then this whole show is proof. Of two completely different mindsets.
If Bill could talk to ghosts on a recordable device it would be a hugely successful show AND advance science.
Quote:
That's my whole issue about proof. There's a quote -- "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Especially about something like paranormal.
I could not disagree more. If it is not repeatable how does one know it is supernatural as opposed to a type of physical anomaly?

Last edited by Old Guard; 12-09-2015 at 04:00 PM..

Old 12-09-2015, 04:54 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
This is not true.

OK, This is one of those things that seems true but is not. Human behavior, especially in large numbers, us relatively predictable.

OK, this may happen for one ghost, it may happen for two ghosts, but long term, with enough ghosts it should not happen every time. Also a lot of the stories show predictable behavior.....until someone breaks the camera out or there are witnesses....

Wait? WHAT? One person interacting with a ghost would not make a good show? Mediums make a lot of money doing this very thing!

Wait....are you saying....and I am asking this as someone you have banned for saying less....that people cannot talk to ghosts? Can I say that on this forum?

If Bill could talk to ghosts on a recordable device it would be a hugely successful show AND advance science.

I could not disagree more. If it is not repeatable how does one know it is supernatural as opposed to a type of physical anomaly?

The K2 meter is a device with lights that react to electromagnetic energy. The last thing I saw it used on was the A&E Bell Witch Curse thing where the Bell Witch curse apparently had filtered down the family line and this Bell guy wanted to break the curse. It was a FIVE PART SERIES. With a ghost sniffing dog.

In use, the guy asking the question asks a yes or no question, and if the lights react it's a yes. So it's recordable -- but it is questionable.

There are supposed EVP (electronic Voice phenomena) recordings everywhere -- but -- once again -- easily faked, and the ones that aren't, are often scratchy noises you can't tell what they say until someone tells you what they say, and then, voila! I can TOTALLY hear it. Yeah...no. There's a name for that -- can't come up with it right now.

I would love for there to be ghosts, and I would love for there to be a Bigfoot. Never have seen a ghost, once a really big guy lumbering through a forest, and for a fleeting moment though -- WOW... but reality took hold. But I want to live in a world where these things can exist because I think a little magic in life is a wonderful thing and keeps me young.

As far as human behavior -- there are patterns, yes -- but even those deviate from time to time. I have three or four ways to drove home. Most often I take this one route out of habit, but every once in a while for no good reason I'll turn left. As Sheldon once said what's life without whimsy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal