U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 03:33 AM

586 posts, read 634,147 times

Advertisements

I had a really creepy (and it was so real) dream last night and I even ended up telling my husband which kind of freaked him out too. My husband's boss has 2 kids. My husband is pretty close to them, but I rarely see them. They have a daughter named Caitlin and I had a dream (more like a nightmare) of her getting accidently shot in a grocery store.

Some lunatic got into a grocery store and pulled out his gun and started shooting randomly. She was with her mom. I saw her first and last name bouncing in my head, and it was spelled the correct way too because my husband added the mom on facebook.

Her mom kind of went into a depressed state after that and never smiled again (in real life she is a super cheerful lady). I told my husband and he's wondering if he should tell them to be careful, or is it just stupid?
We have decided that its just a weird dream and going to keep it to ourselves, but gosh, I keep getting all these weird nightmares.

Is there a way to stop having nightmares?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 12:15 PM

13,593 posts, read 22,224,588 times
Keep a food/nightmare diary and see if there is a connection.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:50 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,731,482 times
What ^she^ said.
Acidic foods are the main offenders; tomato sauce, OJ....
But some other foods can do it too.
May want to just keep a dream log altogether. Some dreams may seem unconnected, but they can often have the same message just with a different story.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:04 PM

586 posts, read 634,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
What ^she^ said.
Acidic foods are the main offenders; tomato sauce, OJ....
But some other foods can do it too.
May want to just keep a dream log altogether. Some dreams may seem unconnected, but they can often have the same message just with a different story.
What if I keep dreaming of death/murder? I get different dreams but its always about someone dying or getting killed.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:54 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,818,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
What if I keep dreaming of death/murder? I get different dreams but its always about someone dying or getting killed.
It's most likely just your subconscious working out a basic primal fear as you rest. I dont think there is any greater primal fear than that of Death.

When you dream, if you remember to try, you can control the dream. Simply change something, and the whole story changes. You are not at a movie, where you have no control over what appears on the big screen.

One night a while back I had a terrible dream where something horrific was happening to a beloved pet. I simply moved the pet away from its location, and everything was fine. Any damage it had taken was suddenly gone. It was as if an illusion had been dispelled.

If at first you don't succeed, just like in real life, keep trying to change something.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 10-13-2015 at 06:04 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 06:13 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,731,482 times
Quote:
Dreams are rooted in emotions. Key to understanding them in part, is the feeling you have during the dream.
One can dream of death and be amused, fear, confusion.
The 'symbol' of death would be a metaphor behind the feeling.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:10 PM

78 posts, read 63,632 times
Quote:
If you know you always have these dreams and no one dies, then you can rest easy because its not a premonition dream.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:53 AM

1,474 posts, read 1,931,572 times
Quote:

I told my husband and he's wondering if he should tell them to be careful, or is it just stupid?
We have decided that its just a weird dream and going to keep it to ourselves
Good idea to keep it to yourselves. If you told them, best case scenario is that they're paranoid to go to a grocery store ever again, even if it might save their lives. Worst case scenario, they think you're nuts and in very poor form for telling them such a thing. A wrench in your friendship.

Good suggestions from others above to monitor your pre-bedtime food intake, and adjust as needed. Heavy, hearty, spicy foods and/or overeating can cause bad dreams. I used to have nightmares after eating / overeating pizza for dinner So I learned to stop doing that.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:16 AM

77 posts, read 76,976 times
Default Some SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors)

can promote vivid and disturbing dreaming.

I have no reason to think you're taking this class of medication, but I wanted to point out another possible prosaic cause for the dream.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:56 PM

5,779 posts, read 4,494,139 times
Actually, there's quite a few meds that can cause abnormal dreaming, as well as medical conditions that can cause abnormal conditions; see:

http://www.ehealthme.com/symptom/abnormal+dreams
http://www.ehealthme.com/symptom_con...bnormal+dreams

As others have noted, death may be a symbol pointing to something else: some sort of concern you have for that family or their relationships. Or something as simple as, you saw something about someone dying on TV and there was a slight resemblance to the daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal