U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 06:37 PM

7,134 posts, read 3,566,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
There have been hundreds of dimmings at irregular intervals, some blocking 15-20% of the star's output or more. Not just one event. None of the other 150,000 stars observed have shown this behavior. So that would have to be one selective cloud of earth orbit space junk.
Right, that's interesting! The article in the original link said there were only two dimmings (before it got damaged).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 06:47 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,659,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Is it not possible that an object in our own solar system passed in front of the star in question? Or even a piece of space junk in the earth's own space junk cloud?
Interference by space junk can probably be ruled out. Observations were made by the Kepler spacecraft, which is at an orbital height that's slightly less than 93 million miles from Earth. Kepler doesn't orbit the Earth. It orbits the Sun. Generally, Kepler's mission is to observe stars that are about the same distance from the galactic center as our own Solar System and search for Earth-sized exoplanets in the so-called habitable zones. In any case, it's too far away from the Earth for its view to be hindered by space junk.
https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#h...acecraft+facts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler...nd_orientation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_84...ed_Kepler_data

Old 10-16-2015, 07:10 PM

Thanks for that enlightenment. I had totally forgotten that and thought it was in high earth orbit. I forget many things or hear them and it doesn't register! But this I now remember. This is the value of this forum.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:02 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,659,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Thanks for that enlightenment. I had totally forgotten that and thought it was in high earth orbit. I forget many things or hear them and it doesn't register! But this I now remember. This is the value of this forum.
We all forget things now and then. I certainly do more often than I like. We're only human. It's also the value of the internet with the enormous amount of information that can be quickly accessed. Below is an animation of how Kepler follows the Earth and periodically adjusts it's position so that it never faces any glare from the Sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54fnbJ1hZik

The idea that it could be a huge mass of comets and/or asteroids seems plausible. There's a red dwarf star near KIC 8462852. It's possible the dwarf star passed through KIC 8462852's Oort Cloud, assuming it has an Oort Cloud, causing a shift of material to move and bunch up, due to gravitational effects by the red dwarf, in such a way to result in the dimming. And there might be more than one group of comets, which could explain why the event was seen more than once producing different intensities of dimming. It would certainly be an extremely lucky sighting considering the just the right alignment for our view of the event, and the timing.

As it stands, no one really knows exactly what happened to cause the dimming. However, it's too early to start drawing any firm conclusions. The media certainly had a hey-day with the "artificial structures" notion though. That's more sensational and attention-grabbing for headlines than just a bunch of space rocks.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:28 AM

Thanks for that video. I had no idea of the nature of Kepler's orbit. I watched another video on our sun. Fascinating!

Old 10-17-2015, 09:52 AM

5,838 posts, read 4,538,756 times
Giving a listen with a radio telescope is probably worth doing -- but my guess is that a civilization broadcasts a lot of radio waves in a short time span in its evolution, eventually going dark because there are more efficient ways of communicating. We're heading in that direction now, with satellite TV and radio, and the growing use of cable and fiber optics. Our "radio visible" period may not be a lot more than a century. So even if there's no radio waves detected, that doesn't mean an advanced civilization isn't there.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:55 PM

Just how far can one detect our radio signals? Mobile signals would get pretty weak pretty fast I should think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal