Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 03:51 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times

Advertisements

From dictionary.reference.com
noun 1. the imagined perception of a pattern or meaning where it does not actually exist, as in considering the moon to have human features.

I better not post this in the Space forum as they will probably start throwing stones at me. Apart from the well-known images of the crab, the face on Mars, etc there are plenty of other ones not so well-known which really do look as if they are oddities in strange places.

So, in this thread let me have your best pareidolia images, here are my favourites.

This is my best one found in the image of the tracks of a stuck Spirit Mars rover.
Find this at 8 o'clock slightly lower and left of centre of this image. I have looked at it so many times I cannot see anything else now apart from the full bearded man's face.

Close up

...And this one is pretty good too from one image of the sun.
background image is original with pattern marked, insets with Bugs himself.

Consider this - seeing something once might be pareidolia, twice could be coincidence, but the more instances of pareidolia showing a similar pattern makes it more likely it is not just a random pattern-matching by the brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 05:45 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Consider this - seeing something once might be pareidolia, twice could be coincidence, but the more instances of pareidolia showing a similar pattern makes it more likely it is not just a random pattern-matching by the brain.
Why not? It just means you are finding what you are looking for. BTW, that Bugs Bunny is awful. Cannot even see it with all of the Bugs Bunny pictures posted around and on top of it.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:28 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times
It's not pareidolia, but there's a supposed angel in this photo: Pastor claims to have photographed a 'Guardian angel' kneeling and 'praying' over man who narrowly survived car crash* | Daily Mail Online

Just below the red circle, I can see what looks like a big cat or a dog sitting up (that's obviously not there)!

Old 12-14-2015, 12:02 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
The first pic, OC, I see a sea lion. Clearly. Had to really look to see the old man.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:26 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
We're good at seeing faces in things, because there's an area of the brain called the Fusiform Face Area (FFA) that's wired to recognize faces:

How the brain is wired for faces | EurekAlert! Science News

I think this example from Google Earth is the single most amazing instance of paradolia that I've personally seen:

http://www.wikinoticia.com/images/de...ifos_thumb.jpg

Old 12-14-2015, 08:13 PM

Now you mention it, I can see the sealion shape as well - in white above the bearded man image. It is more the characteristic hump-shape of the back which I think makes us feel it is sealion-like.

Yes, the Bugs Bunny pictures do kind of lead your mind in that direction I suppose. Rather like autosuggestion.

Quote:
I think this example from Google Earth is the single most amazing instance of paradolia that I've personally seen:
It is quite possible that the gods had the technology to fly and maybe even terraform an area to look like them. Like stamping your mark on a planet perhaps "This is mine, keep out". Who knows how it got there.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:13 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
Now you mention it, I can see the sealion shape as well - in white above the bearded man image. It is more the characteristic hump-shape of the back which I think makes us feel it is sealion-like.

Yes, the Bugs Bunny pictures do kind of lead your mind in that direction I suppose. Rather like autosuggestion.

It is quite possible that the gods had the technology to fly and maybe even terraform an area to look like them. Like stamping your mark on a planet perhaps "This is mine, keep out". Who knows how it got there.
My guess is erosion. This reminds me of people looking for shapes in clouds.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:15 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
Quote:
This is my best one found in the image of the tracks of a stuck Spirit Mars rover.
Find this at 8 o'clock slightly lower and left of centre of this image. I have looked at it so many times I cannot see anything else now apart from the full bearded man's face.
that full photo has a giant dead lobster in it.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
My guess is erosion. This reminds me of people looking for shapes in clouds.
You got it. Thats what pareidolia is - seeing shapes, recognising patterns in things which look like other things. Jesus' face in burnt toast, faces in clouds, etc. Thats the point of this thread.

The original post links to an image of MER Spirit stuck in the soil on Mars and there are no rocks there to erode as it is all soft sandy of soil. Thats how it became stuck and the mission ended there for that robot. I have no idea what it is in the first image which to me looks like an oldish man with a full beard. The second image is of the sun, so thats all hot gases swirling around.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:10 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
In the first picture, it looks more like a dog face to me, and if you look at the picture on the link provided this thing has to be the size of a peanut, compaired to the tires on the rover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal