Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 10:14 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Have you flown across the north and south? East to west flights are pretty easy in a flat earth model but north to south is impossible.

I'm not a flat earther but there are questions that cannot be explained by a sphere spinning earth model either.

Why is it that you can see planets with a telescope and the distant skyline but you can't see a ship or mountain dip below the curvature of the earth?

Another question is why density and buoyancy explains most of the "gravity" on earth but gravity between the sun, moon, and earth makes no sense. Why is the Sun's (bigger) gravity able to keep the earth (smaller) in orbit and the earth's (bigger) gravity keeps the moon (smaller) in orbit but somehow the moon's (smaller) gravity moves the waters of the earth (bigger)?

Both have questions that need answers. I think the quote by Aristotle is very telling. "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

That is essentially what science is... entertaining a thought while contemplating (experimenting) it's relevance. It is not okay to just dismiss any thought. IF the earth truly is flat then that is worth contemplating.

I have a serious problem with NASA CGI photos of the earth and the earth's size in the Moon landing photos. It just seems wrong. Entertaining these thoughts is not accepting however, when you disparage the one who poses the question, you really show your complete lack of intelligence. IMO
I've been from North America to South America and back, but I did get up and use the bathroom a couple of times and made the trip down at night so you can discount my testimony as incomplete.

It would be interesting to hear a flat-earther explain why it's summer in the Southern hemisphere but Winter in the Northern hemisphere and vice versa as the seasons change... not sure how that could happen if the whole place was flat.

As for the inconsistencies in gravitational theory, they are best explained by M-theory but it is still an open question, which is why flat earthers have latched onto it and tried to use lack of evidence as proof for their own quacky theory. The differences in the gravitational pull of large vs small bodies is because of distance as much as mass and is an intricate balance of cause and effect beteen the various planetary bodies that makes total sense to me but I guess I'm just weird.

Also since we are hurling random insults now, you are a poopie-head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 10:16 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I agree with much in your post, except for this. Can you provide a reference to support that?
You just have to stand in the middle if it and go "wow". Try it sometime, let me know when you're in town and I'll show it to ya.

Seriously though, I'm sure there's stuff online. It's common knowledge here, just like we know the Great Salt Lake is pretty damn salty and that Crown Burger is the best place to get a hamburger around here.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:20 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
OH. MY. GOD.

Ok, promise not to tell anyone and I'll let you in on the secret. At the bottom of the ocean there is giant shop vac sucking all the water down.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:05 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I've been from North America to South America and back, but I did get up and use the bathroom a couple of times and made the trip down at night so you can discount my testimony as incomplete.

It would be interesting to hear a flat-earther explain why it's summer in the Southern hemisphere but Winter in the Northern hemisphere and vice versa as the seasons change... not sure how that could happen if the whole place was flat.

As for the inconsistencies in gravitational theory, they are best explained by M-theory but it is still an open question, which is why flat earthers have latched onto it and tried to use lack of evidence as proof for their own quacky theory. The differences in the gravitational pull of large vs small bodies is because of distance as much as mass and is an intricate balance of cause and effect beteen the various planetary bodies that makes total sense to me but I guess I'm just weird.

Also since we are hurling random insults now, you are a poopie-head.
Poopie-head I may be but I didn't exactly hurl any random insults. I simply stated that insulting the presenter of information (in this case flat earthers) is a logical fallacy and makes you appear unintelligent. However, I will counter your poopie-head with a gravity-head....

LOL Anyway it is easy for me to see why flat earthers have questions. I too have questions. Your flight didn't cross both poles so I still ask the same question. Why don't we fly directly over the poles. Just recently we can fly over the North pole but there are no commercial flights over Antartica. Also, there was a recent flight where a woman went into labor and the plane made an emergency landing in Alaska coming from Thailand. It was controversial because she wanted her baby to be considered a citizen of the USA however the emergency landing on a spinning ball earth would have made more sense in Hawaii... Why all the way to Alaska when the destination was CA?

But on a flat earth model it actually would be closer.

As for the seasons, the theory is that the sun (and moon) are closer thus having a spotlight effect and traveling in a figure 8 type rotation or circles but the speed is different for the circles. In any case, the sun being directly overhead is summer and next to but not far is spring, etc.

I'm a KISS-er... I think the simple explanation of density is why things rise or fall without the need for gravity. The inconsistencies in the gravitational theory are BECAUSE it is too complex. It holds people, water, and land to the planet but also one planet to another in an orbital pull but the other planet also effects the seas but not the lakes? How is that even logical? If we can't replicate it to scale (like most other scientific observations) then how do we know it is true. A scale model of earth should be able to bring into orbit the scale model of the moon but it never does.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
You just have to stand in the middle if it and go "wow". Try it sometime, let me know when you're in town and I'll show it to ya.

Seriously though, I'm sure there's stuff online. It's common knowledge here, just like we know the Great Salt Lake is pretty damn salty and that Crown Burger is the best place to get a hamburger around here.
It was recently proven that Kansas is literally as flat as a pancake... how is that possible if it is subjected to the curvature of the earth?
Kansas Is Flatter Than a Pancake

Also the salt flats have this pic... it looks pretty freaking flat to me! Given the distance we should see it curve after only a couple miles.

But it's perfectly level. IDK but I think there needs to be some questions answered about the spinning ball earth we are taught and some new measurements taken!

Old 01-17-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
OH. MY. GOD.

Ok, promise not to tell anyone and I'll let you in on the secret. At the bottom of the ocean there is giant shop vac sucking all the water down.
Then regurgitating it twice a day causing the tides. Now we are getting somewhere!

Old 01-17-2016, 12:34 AM

The only truth we know is that both theories have major flaws. The only reason we ascribe to the spinning earth model is because we are taught that as children... however, I remember these same questions as a child yet a child is unable to question. I'm sure if I were taught the flat earth theory there would be some questions as well. What sealed our belief is the NASA space program. But then... we are unable to send up manned vessels now even though we have better tech. Now my childhood questions arise again.... Are those really images from space? Why can't we take a full pic from a satellite but we were able to from the moon? Why is the earth so small in the moon pics when the moon is so much smaller than the earth?

NASA "photo"

What it should look like:

We've all seen the moon from earth. It looks even bigger from earth than the earth from the moon... why? Is NASA not good at math in their recreations?

Old 01-17-2016, 07:14 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
It was recently proven that Kansas is literally as flat as a pancake... how is that possible if it is subjected to the curvature of the earth?
Kansas Is Flatter Than a Pancake

Also the salt flats have this pic... it looks pretty freaking flat to me! Given the distance we should see it curve after only a couple miles.

But it's perfectly level. IDK but I think there needs to be some questions answered about the spinning ball earth we are taught and some new measurements taken!
If it is flat what can't you see the Rocky Mountains in that picture?

Old 01-17-2016, 07:28 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Look at how HUGE the sun is in this picture! It must be because Africa is closer to the sun!!

Lions at sunset photo - WP09637

Old 01-17-2016, 08:50 AM

639 posts, read 579,504 times
Quote:
The problem is that the revolution of the earth is estimated at 1000 miles per hour. To scale that would still be fast enough for the water to fly off the tennis ball. I can certainly understand why flat earthers can doubt the spinning ball earth.
Except for the little problem of it being a natural fact, and easily proven from satellite. It's not doubt-able.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal