Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 01:27 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynite1114 View Post
Hello everyone.

I'd rather not make a poll for this, since there could potentially be many answers. It is not simply a Yes or No question. Some people have mixed and/or many opinions about such a question like this. Do you believe in the existence of Werewolves? Half man, half wolf. (I.E my profile picture).

Personally, I think they are real to a certain extent. They're not the bloodthirsty killers that go out on full moons. They're pretty much normal people that live with a shapeshifting superpower. That is my opinion. Although science can argue this, science can argue biblical (Holy Bible) events that seem like BS as well (like the red sea parting or Jesus reviving himself). Anyways, I'm going a bit too in depth with this paragraph.

What do y'all think? Do you believe in Lycanthropes (Werewolves)?
There is always a "Basis" for myths.

Dracula.....Vlad the impaler...

Not too sure where Werewolves come in, but this is one part of it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 02:10 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
If you believe in gods, angels and miracles, believing in werewolves or mythical creatures is not a great leap.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:48 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Here's one take on its origins:

The History of the Werewolf Legend | Historic Mysteries

My own guess is that belief in lycanthropy comes from remnants of shamanistic beliefs (totem animals and shapeshifting) that were prevalent in pre-Christian European cultures. Many of these beliefs were carried down as folk beliefs by the people even after they converted to Christianity. So when they saw monstrous behavior on the part of psychopaths and serial killers they attributed the behavior to the old beliefs.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:12 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Pre-historic peoples had to learn to hunt to survive. They did it by watching wolf packs. It worked its way in to their religion and culture, so that the hunting brotherhoods "became" wolves (figuratively, not literally), even wearing wolfskins, etc.

Shapeshifting varies from culture to culture, but it is almost always the dominant predator in the area. In Europe and North America, it was wolves. In northern Europe and Asia, it was bears. In Japan it was foxes. In South America, it was the jaguar. In Africa the leopard. Among Celtic fisherman it was seals.

The psychological malady known as "lycanthropy" really didn't get mixed in to it until well into the Middle Ages.

But nearly everything people think they know about werewolves was actually invented by movies and comic books and was more inspired by Jekyll & Hyde and Freud than the actual werewolves of folklore. My favorite example was the silver bullet. Silver as a weapons against werewolves is found NOWHERE in the original folklore, because Siodmak made it up for the movies. His source? The Lone Ranger.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:08 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
"...He was looking for a place called Lee Ho Fook's. For to get a big dish of beef chow mein..."
Solid reference!!

Old 02-06-2016, 07:08 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Stay away from him. He'll rip your lungs out, Jim.
I'd like to meet his tailor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
If you believe in gods, angels and miracles, believing in werewolves or mythical creatures is not a great leap.

I was going to answer - no. But, your analogy is correct. Since there is no good without evil, then if I believe that benevolent angels and miracles exist, I MUST believe that demons and black magic exists.

I am reminded of the Hindu demon Rakshasa. It is a big hairy creature with two large fangs and superhuman strength that can shapeshift and appear before you as someone you trust, all in an effort to eat your flesh.

Good point!

But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe--and tremble! (James 2:18-19)

So be it. Yes.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:32 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Here's one take on its origins:

The History of the Werewolf Legend | Historic Mysteries

My own guess is that belief in lycanthropy comes from remnants of shamanistic beliefs (totem animals and shapeshifting) that were prevalent in pre-Christian European cultures. Many of these beliefs were carried down as folk beliefs by the people even after they converted to Christianity. So when they saw monstrous behavior on the part of psychopaths and serial killers they attributed the behavior to the old beliefs.
Here's another link that provides more references about the historical origins of the legends of werewolves.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werewolf

Old 02-06-2016, 11:13 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I'd like to meet his tailor.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect!

Old 02-06-2016, 11:29 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
I didn't believe in werewolves until I saw Glenn Danzig's book collection. No doubts now.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:30 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
And, there's one of the main problems with religion, it gets people believing all kinds of thing that are simply not possible and not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal