Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 06:12 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times

Advertisements

Old Guard, I have no intention of reposting that sizable post of yours that for the most part amounts to little more than arguing for the sake of arguing. Anyone can pick out single sentences that anyone else makes and make an effort to - lol, I don't know what exactly, but anyway, yeah...I hope it made you all warm and fuzzy inside nonetheless.

I think a lot is lost in not looking at something within the context it was written and not trying to see it from the perspective of the person writing it, but it wouldn't surprise me if you or even several others with something to prove on an anonymous forum disagreed with me, lol.

The 'known world' refers to the world as the Romans knew it throughout the time the Romans were looking to conquer and control it and were an Empire. It does not refer to the known world of Old Guard.

I hope that helps clear things up for you a little. I understand that sometimes we all need help seeing beyond the tips of our own noses, and especially as it refers to the context of someone else's written words.

Back on the topic of Oak Island:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I've been watching the show for a few years, and this year was really interesting. I still can't imagine diving in a fourty foot down hole. shiver.... But what keeps it so interesting is the mystery. Someone dug these vaults and hid something there. Someone put in the tunnels to flood them. There was something hidden to protect. It's all the little steps and much more interesting than if they went in, dug a hole and there it was. The story behind the jewelry the sisters had been given in very intreging and I look forward to next season.

Its neat that the ancient Romans made reproductions of their own ancient swords, and used them for something since the sword was heavily used.
I watch the show off and on. Saw the whole swamp draining part of it. It is very interesting. I first read about Oak Island as a kid, so its been in my mind and of interest to me for decades. They have been finding some great artifacts all along, although nothing that amounts to a pirate's chest - at least not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
The Roman civilization lasted from 753 BC until 1453 AD. While this doesn't make it the longest lasting empire in history - the ancient Egypt was older - this is still a very respectful span.

I am sure a Roman ship or two could've over the centuries drifted towards Americas, but this would be a freak incident, not a deliberate voyage. The first known deliberate travel from Europe to America (Newfoundland) happened around 1000 AD, or perhaps 30-50 years earlier if you consider Greenland part of the American continent.
Yep, or even a sword taken on board by a Phoenician trade boat. That's the great thing about ancient historic mysteries. The possibilities are endless.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 02-13-2016 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 08:04 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Old Guard, I have no intention of reposting that sizable post of yours that for the most part amounts to little more than arguing for the sake of arguing. Anyone can pick out single sentences that anyone else makes and make an effort to - lol, I don't know what exactly, but anyway, yeah...I hope it made you all warm and fuzzy inside nonetheless.

I think a lot is lost in not looking at something within the context it was written and not trying to see it from the perspective of the person writing it, but it wouldn't surprise me if you or even several others with something to prove on an anonymous forum disagreed with me, lol.

The 'known world' refers to the world as the Romans knew it throughout the time the Romans were looking to conquer and control it and were an Empire. It does not refer to the known world of Old Guard.

I hope that helps clear things up for you a little. I understand that sometimes we all need help seeing beyond the tips of our own noses, and especially as it refers to the context of someone else's written words.
But the Romans never conquered all of the known world THEY knew about. Please tell me the date that the Romans conquered their entire known world. PLEASE.

There are quite a few inaccuracies in what you are saying and they show a correlation to bad TV shows on History and other channels that rely on statements like "Many people believe" instead of actual evidence. Some of the people in the shows are not even what the claim.

Scott Wolter to be a forensic geologist. But he has no degree in any field close to this. It is so hard to watch him with his outrageous claims with no science or evidence backing him up.

Last edited by Old Guard; 02-14-2016 at 08:21 AM..

Old 02-14-2016, 09:45 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
The Romans knew about China and India and sub-Saharan Africa and the barbarian lands of Europe through trade, but they weren't part of the Empire and they didn't make efforts to conquer them. They could barely manage what they had which is what eventually led to the split into a western Empire (out of Rome) and an eastern Empire (out of Constantinople). I seem to recall at one point there were four or five subemperors managing the far-flung segments of their Empire.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:57 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,302,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
But the Romans never conquered all of the known world THEY knew about. Please tell me the date that the Romans conquered their entire known world. PLEASE.
That's correct. The Romans never conquered India (extremely well known to them - after all Alexander the Great had conquered much of it and he was certainly part of Romano-Hellenistic world, plus there was an ongoing trade between Rome and India).

They never conquered the Parthian empire, that was a thorn in their side for centuries. Actually they lost some territories to it. The Parthians were at least militarily just as strong.

They stopped short of conquering Scotland, and stopped short of pushing into the modern-day Ukraine. That was just too far for them.

They of course knew about China, traded with it (although not directly it seems) and never even dreamed of conquering it.

They did not ever set out to conquer the known world, unlike Alexander. They were after political, economical, defense or other goals, but not after leaving the biggest footprint in history like he was.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:20 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times
Quote:

There are quite a few inaccuracies in what you are saying and they show a correlation to bad TV shows on History and other channels that rely on statements like "Many people believe" instead of actual evidence. Some of the people in the shows are not even what the claim.

Scott Wolter to be a forensic geologist. But he has no degree in any field close to this. It is so hard to watch him with his outrageous claims with no science or evidence backing him up.

Please tell me how much of the world ancient Rome knew existed? Please cite your source?

I think they are inaccuracies because you want them to be. They can only really know about a world that they reached, otherwise its like agreeing that they knew about Heaven, but never conquered it because they couldn't get there.

They over-reached themselves, lined their water source with lead, stopped doing most things for themselves, including using people they enslaved to depend on in their military. Are these not recipes for an eminent fall of an Empire?

They were in Africa as well as Russia. How far can a tiny islands inhabitants stretch themselves and not fall. In and of itself, lining their aqueducts was brilliant, and it could be said to be cutting edge for its day - using lead was not.

The show is for entertainment value. If you don't find it interesting, fine. Does that mean no one should find it interesting? As I said, I read about Oak Island as a kid. I've always been interested in it since reading about it.

What is it you don't believe about Oak Island?

You don't believe its a great feat of engineering that perplexes people to this day?

I love artifacts and antiques. Just simple things that tell about every day life in days that as far as I know I did not live in - like Ivory containers, ornately carved, to save the families hair up to stuff pillows and such with. I don't need to believe much to show an interest.

There is such a thing as life experience. Many people spend decades studying and working hands on with no institution's sheet of paper to back them up. Just like their are many people that have an institutions sheet of paper, but never get out in the field and dirty their hands. Who would you feel are more knowledgeable on a topic?

If anyone wants to invest the time and money to disprove anything Mr Wolter says - so be it. Let them.

I don't care. It doesn't make Oak Island any less interesting, and the success of the show, having been on air for years now proves that more than just a hand full of people are interested in the mystery.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Please tell me how much of the world ancient Rome knew existed? Please cite your source?
Here are a few sources for starters that back up what we've been saying:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Roman_relations
Roman Contact with Sub-Saharan Africa - Historum - History Forums
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-R...rade_relations

Quote:
They were in Africa as well as Russia. How far can a tiny islands inhabitants stretch themselves and not fall.
There was no entity called Russia back then, and the Romans never made it that far north (as far as anyone knows). North Africa was part of the Empire but not sub-Saharan Africa. Also, how are they a "tiny island's inhabitants" since neither Rome itself nor the Empire was on an island?

Last edited by Vasily; 02-14-2016 at 01:45 PM..

Old 02-14-2016, 04:03 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
Please tell me how much of the world ancient Rome knew existed?
I do not have to do that to prove my point. The Roman Empire had borders, that proves my point. They new quite well where their borders were and what was on the other side.

THAT disproves what you said. That is all I need because you will not have an answer for that.

Quote:
Please cite your source?
I cite the FACT that the Roman empire always had borders. If you conquer the entire known world you would not have borders because you cannot have a border with yourself. Simple huh?

Quote:
I think they are inaccuracies because you want them to be. They can only really know about a world that they reached, otherwise its like agreeing that they knew about Heaven, but never conquered it because they couldn't get there.
You may believe that, that is fine. But please tell me why the Romans had borders?

Please refer to here as a start:
https://mrgrayhistory.wikispaces.com...-+ANCIENT+ROME

Quote:
They over-reached themselves, lined their water source with lead, stopped doing most things for themselves, including using people they enslaved to depend on in their military. Are these not recipes for an eminent fall of an Empire?
If lead was such a great problem why did their empire last around 1,500 years? Would it not kill people during their life time? Also did ALL Romans drink from water from lead tainted water sources? For example no Romans drank from wells?
Quote:
They were in Africa as well as Russia. How far can a tiny islands inhabitants stretch themselves and not fall.
Did they conquer all of Africa? Did they conquer all of what would become Russia? If your answer is NO then you should know how wrong you are. If you do not that tells us a lot about you.
Quote:
In and of itself, lining their aqueducts was brilliant, and it could be said to be cutting edge for its day - using lead was not.
Really? "Some major U.S. cities still have 100 percent lead piping bringing water from the utilities to homes and businesses. The dissolved oxygen in the water combines with the metal at the surface (copper, zinc or lead) to form a metal oxide. This oxidation layer naturally develops through the decades to coat lead piping. When water conditions require it, water utilities also add lime or orthophosphates as a further barrier to prevent lead from getting into drinking water. When water chemistry is carefully controlled, it prevents dangerous levels of lead from entering the drinking water system from the pipes."

https://www.safeplumbing.org/health-...ad-in-plumbing

"Although the use of lead pipes for water distribution has a centuries-old history, installation of lead pipes in the United States on a major scale began in the late 1800s, particularly in the larger cities.19 By 1900, more than 70% of cities with populations greater than 30000 used lead water lines.19 Although lead was more expensive than iron (the material of choice until that time), lead pipes had 2 significant advantages over iron ones: they lasted much longer than iron (about 35 years compared with 16) and, because they are more malleable, they could be more easily bent around existing structures.19"

The Lead Industry and Lead Water Pipes

Yeah, those Romans were so primitive and stupid.

Quote:

The show is for entertainment value. If you don't find it interesting, fine. Does that mean no one should find it interesting?
No, it means nobody should take anything stated on it as fact and promote its ideas.

Quote:
As I said, I read about Oak Island as a kid. I've always been interested in it since reading about it.
Me too.
Quote:
What is it you don't believe about Oak Island?
There are many things I do not believe. I do not believe it was Templar's. Frankly now I think it is just a hoax.
Quote:
You don't believe its a great feat of engineering that perplexes people to this day?
Actually I do not. I think it was a hoax. None of the "evidence" exists and even the stone tablet that marked it cannot be found and there are no pictures of it. Nothing has ever been recovered from it.

To top it all off I see no motive to make something valuable unrecoverable.
Quote:
I love artifacts and antiques. Just simple things that tell about every day life in days that as far as I know I did not live in - like Ivory containers, ornately carved, to save the families hair up to stuff pillows and such with. I don't need to believe much to show an interest.

There is such a thing as life experience. Many people spend decades studying and working hands on with no institution's sheet of paper to back them up. Just like their are many people that have an institutions sheet of paper, but never get out in the field and dirty their hands. Who would you feel are more knowledgeable on a topic?

If anyone wants to invest the time and money to disprove anything Mr Wolter says - so be it. Let them.

I don't care. It doesn't make Oak Island any less interesting, and the success of the show, having been on air for years now proves that more than just a hand full of people are interested in the mystery.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
The Roman Empire had borders, that proves my point. They new quite well where their borders were and what was on the other side.... I cite the FACT that the Roman empire always had borders. If you conquer the entire known world you would not have borders because you cannot have a border with yourself. Simple huh?
Case in point: Hadrian's Wall in Great Britain, which marked the northern border of the Roman Empire in Britain and kept out the Picts who lived to the north.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:57 AM

162 posts, read 146,851 times
Can someone explain the reason why pirates.....not known for their work ethic...would bury a treasure 170 feet under an island right off the coast?

Wouldn't a remote island be a somewhat better place?

With all the digging over the centuries, not one bottle, no archaeological evidence of a camp, grave, laborers etc?

The original finders said they saw lights, found a block and tackle on an oak tree in 1795? What happened in 1795 and would an oak limb support the weight of gold or silver treasure?

Nothing there.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:32 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Well, since the weekend is upon us and we're discussing Roman aqueducts, here is a little fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9foi342LXQE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal