Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:48 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Round is not at all an unusual form in nature. Cave pearls for example are round "...due to the uniform growth of the pearl, not to any sort of rotation due to dripping. A sphere allows the greatest amount of deposition for the smallest surface area and is thus most likely, even if the nucleus is highly irregular...."
And what you managed to miss in your quote of the piece of article was this
Quote:
The dripping causes vibrations in the pool which may prevent the pearls from cementing (with calcite) to the pool floor, though many pearls are found cemented in.
It implies that normally the pearls would be cemented to each other or to the sides of the pool but the dripping causes ripples to the pool surface which keep the pearls separated beneath.

I think there would have to be a tsunami to keep concretions that large to remain separated. So... this article is hardly relevant to the discussion of this large 'concretion' since this one is huge and solitary (as far as we know) Next explanation please...

I understand round is not unusual in nature but THAT round is unusual in weathered rocks and there is a series of wild guesses by scientists as to how they 'may' or 'might' form. Basically, they dont know so why not say so rather than acting like they do. I suppose thats usual though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 05:09 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I think there would have to be a tsunami to keep concretions that large to remain separated. So... this article is hardly relevant to the discussion of this large 'concretion' since this one is huge and solitary (as far as we know) Next explanation please...

I understand round is not unusual in nature but THAT round is unusual in weathered rocks and there is a series of wild guesses by scientists as to how they 'may' or 'might' form. Basically, they dont know so why not say so rather than acting like they do. I suppose thats usual though.
You're right, as usual ... it's aliens all the way down. Thanks for the much needed correction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal