Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:14 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,193 times

Advertisements

I rented a room for six months in an Enfield CT house built in the early 1700s years ago. There was a scratching noise in the walls of my bedroom which was freaking me out. The owners set mousetraps in the hall and that took care of the poltergeist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 01:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I've learned to identify & ignore any noises coming from the neighbor, such as her tv at night or a beeping sound in her bedroom.
Good, because that's probably just her, backing up.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:23 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,102 times
Quote:
Reading through the comments, you want to know about this house. Spoiler alert to save you reading time: there's nothing interesting.

It's a 20-years-young townhouse in a previously undeveloped area. My mate is the 2nd person to own it. No one has ever died in this house. No trees nearby that could host critters or nuts banging on the roof.

All the heating etc in this house is electric. I don't have an understanding of such things but that's what my mate said. "Everything in the house is electric." So no noises possible related to oil, gas, woodburning, etc.

The neighbor who shares our north wall is a single older lady. The neighbor who shares our south wall just bought the property and hasn't even moved in yet, so it's vacant. I've learned to identify & ignore any noises coming from the neighbor, such as her tv at night or a beeping sound in her bedroom.

The unidentifiable noises I'm hearing in our own unit really probably are just "the house settling." Some of you have suggested ductwork expanding & contracting and other pragmatic explanations. Thank you, that's what I want to hear!

The bathtub noise I heard at 3am was the same sound it makes when someone is in it. It's a fiberglass tub. It creaks when you stand in it. So that was creepy.

Really this is a non-issue though. I spent the weekend alone in that house, was temporarily scared enough to have no desire to investigate the noises but instead post to c-d. But in the morning, no concern.

A house need not be old to be haunted.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:55 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,954 times
If the furnace is on it could be the ducts expanding/contracting. My former house had bad settling noises especially audible at night. That place was built on blue clay which when wet slips and slides. The basement floor had a lot of cracks in it.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:59 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,185 times
When we moved into our house, i swear my great grandpa was here. I saw things and heard things until one day out loud i said " Grandpa with the cane, its me, its ok" and i havent heard or seen anything since.

ETA: he died here in the 90s

Old 05-17-2016, 11:14 AM

855 posts, read 624,072 times
My house, which was built in 2003, is big on the snap-crackle-pop
thing. One night it was so loud that we both practically jumped out
of bed. I chalk it up to the expanding and contracting of the place,
when it's warming up or cooling down.

-

Old 05-17-2016, 11:37 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
Quote:
Reading through the comments, you want to know about this house. Spoiler alert to save you reading time: there's nothing interesting.

It's a 20-years-young townhouse in a previously undeveloped area. My mate is the 2nd person to own it. No one has ever died in this house. No trees nearby that could host critters or nuts banging on the roof.

All the heating etc in this house is electric. I don't have an understanding of such things but that's what my mate said. "Everything in the house is electric." So no noises possible related to oil, gas, woodburning, etc.

The neighbor who shares our north wall is a single older lady. The neighbor who shares our south wall just bought the property and hasn't even moved in yet, so it's vacant. I've learned to identify & ignore any noises coming from the neighbor, such as her tv at night or a beeping sound in her bedroom.

The unidentifiable noises I'm hearing in our own unit really probably are just "the house settling." Some of you have suggested ductwork expanding & contracting and other pragmatic explanations. Thank you, that's what I want to hear!

The bathtub noise I heard at 3am was the same sound it makes when someone is in it. It's a fiberglass tub. It creaks when you stand in it. So that was creepy.

Really this is a non-issue though. I spent the weekend alone in that house, was temporarily scared enough to have no desire to investigate the noises but instead post to c-d. But in the morning, no concern.

Our house makes noises that often times startle my wife. I grew up in construction and understand the way materials move so it doesn't really bother me.

During the day the west side of our brick heats up (around the front door). About 7:30pm -9pm every night there comes a noticeable bang from the door. As the doorframe and structure cools it contracts and makes the noise. I've timed it, and can usually tell within 15-20 minutes when it will happen. Occasionally we will get one or two in the attic from the same thing. I've been in the attic working when it has happened before.

Usually about 2am we hear a noise in the hallway to our bedroom that sounds like something being dropped on the ceiling. That's about the time our central HVAC shuts off for the night and the filter drops onto the grate in the ceiling.

We get the noise in the shower also. As we shower, the force of standing on the fiberglass floor plus the hot water causes the fiberglass to expand. As it cools off, it will pop when contracting.

Nothing too unusual in this house, although we have had some slightly frightening events in our old one.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:37 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
ok, then my suggestion is to pack up and get out before it gets all amityville on him and his buddy
There's no reason to assume an extreme like that. The first thing to do would be to research the history of the place, if other explanations can't be found. The post above this one did a pretty good job, it seems. We'll see what the OP says.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:02 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Not paranormal. Just unidentifiable thumps or bangs usually coming from the kitchen at night. Sometimes in other rooms. Probably everybody has heard these kinds of things in their homes. What are these sounds?
What is banging in the kitchen & behind the walls hours after all human activity has ceased?

When I was a child my parents would say, "It's just the house settling." Or "It's just the wind."
When my wife and I are in bed and it's dark, I can't see her. Sometimes if I "bump into" her I'll say that I have no idea what I'm touching. Is that hte same phenomena?

Old 05-18-2016, 07:03 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
ok, then my suggestion is to pack up and get out before it gets all amityville on him and his buddy
Ask Robin Pistorius (sp) about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal