U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 09:08 AM

5,170 posts, read 3,654,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Thanks for proving my point for me, Old Guard.
And specifically what point do you think I proved?
Rate this post positively

Old 07-25-2016, 11:57 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,474,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
There are lots of things that are very rare, that does not make them impossible to study.

So maybe "supernaturalists" may be seeing what they wish? You know there are some pretty hard people out there that would not be scared of a possessed person at all and I am pretty sure at some points if demons existed they would have crossed the wrong person who had an interest in this and would study it and documented it by now. Possibly even harnessed demons for their own use, like a free power source or something.

Shocking.

OH yes, I see, a story, that you do not know specifics of makes non-believers look stupid. I am shocked! Yet it is so significant you cannot even remember where it happened.....

But you believe it did.

Really? There is no denying? You cannot even remember specifics about this and you cannot deny that it ever happened or if it did that it did not happen exactly in the way you stated?

You know because even if a person is not a believer they are a little used to professors using tricks and demonstrations to make a point and I am sure almost every one of the people in the audience had seen a magician at least once in their life.

Both sides? Really? Like there are not more than two sides? Like the people who believe, the people who do not believe, the people who do not care, the people who just broke up and thought their world was ending, the hungry, the sleeping, the hungover......

And all of them together who cannot remember the professors name, the university or the location.

I am shocked that someone who was making a profit from selling belief would say they believe.

They believed so much that they did not abandon the book, they actually sold the movie rights as well.

It does not mean they are though, or that the rules even exist. I mean God is omnipotent. So it would be easy for him to stop this all.

We can prove that gravity exists and we study it.

We do not know that they exist let alone that exorcism's work.
why anyone should try to convince you for anything that you disbelieve maybe you would even deny it if it stared you in the face so keep your disbelief if it comforts you

Old 07-25-2016, 01:56 PM

16,081 posts, read 25,730,562 times
Quote:
The thing about demonic possession is I am not sure why it would be so hard to reproduce or to prove.

From my limited understanding I do not see demons or evil spirits as entities that would follow rules and have anything but contempt for humans. It also seems that they attain amusement by causing fear in people so keeping it a secret seems contrary to what I believe the goals to be. Sort of like having a terrorist attack that nobody knows about.
No you won't hear about it on news broadcasts, it is rare.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:27 PM

19,383 posts, read 23,058,726 times
Quote:
And specifically what point do you think I proved?
Your criticism was little more than an ad hominem attack. You didn't address the message. You attacked the messenger. That suggests your mind is made up and no amount of evidence is ever going to sway you. It suggest you really aren't interested in discussing or examining the evidence so much as defending your own ground.

My point was that both the woo-woo crowd and the die-hard materialists are equally guilty of this.

People who try to keep an open mind and examine the evidence are unfortunately a rarity.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Your criticism was little more than an ad hominem attack. You didn't address the message. You attacked the messenger. That suggests your mind is made up and no amount of evidence is ever going to sway you. It suggest you really aren't interested in discussing or examining the evidence so much as defending your own ground.

My point was that both the woo-woo crowd and the die-hard materialists are equally guilty of this.

People who try to keep an open mind and examine the evidence are unfortunately a rarity.
I have an open mind. I do not think that an urban legend is evidence of anything more than urban legends.

Is there any PROOF I am overlooking in this thread? If so post it cause I have missed it amongst all of the "he said / she said".

Old 07-25-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Is there any PROOF I am overlooking in this thread? If so post it cause I have missed it amongst all of the "he said / she said".
Did you read the original article? Have you read any books on the subject that try to separate the facts from the sensationalism?

I'm not trying to prove anything in these discussions. I'm just providing a little food for thought. But to follow the metaphor, you ought to at least give the food an honest taste before you judge the chef. Or the waiter.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Did you read the original article? Have you read any books on the subject that try to separate the facts from the sensationalism?

I'm not trying to prove anything in these discussions. I'm just providing a little food for thought. But to follow the metaphor, you ought to at least give the food an honest taste before you judge the chef. Or the waiter.
I did not think my comments on the "Can Skepticism Blind You to the Truth?" article were lacking in reading the original statement or article.

Please tell me what I said about the article that was unfair?

Old 07-25-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:

I read the original article. Is there a fact in it anywhere?

"My vantage is unusual: As a consulting doctor, I think I have seen more cases of possession than any other physician in the world."

He does not document these?

Old 08-01-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I read the original article. Is there a fact in it anywhere?

"My vantage is unusual: As a consulting doctor, I think I have seen more cases of possession than any other physician in the world."

He does not document these?
I'm sure he does. But I doubt he documents everyone else's cases. That is all the sentence is saying. A fine nitpick on your part, but that particular nit laid no eggs.

The article was not a scientific paper. You can't expect footnotes and peer review. It's an article taken from a professional in his field.

If you're genuinely interested in more info on this subject, I'm sure there is a lot of information out there, although you'll have to be careful because anything dealing with the supernatural tends to be 99% sensationalism.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I'm sure he does. But I doubt he documents everyone else's cases. That is all the sentence is saying. A fine nitpick on your part, but that particular nit laid no eggs.

The article was not a scientific paper. You can't expect footnotes and peer review. It's an article taken from a professional in his field.

If you're genuinely interested in more info on this subject, I'm sure there is a lot of information out there, although you'll have to be careful because anything dealing with the supernatural tends to be 99% sensationalism.
It does not have to be a scientific paper to have facts. It is all fluff. A fairy tale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.