U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 06:38 PM

5,168 posts, read 3,621,975 times

Advertisements

NeuroLogica Blog » A Psychiatrist Falls for Exorcism
Rate this post positively

Old 08-01-2016, 07:51 PM

16,081 posts, read 25,622,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post

Who's the author of linked blog; a reiteration of what we've read on Richard Gallaghers work in the original post. The author offers nothing new....

After reading John Macks wiki biography; he's a Pulitzer Prize winning biographer and funded for his work and evaluation on those making claims of abduction by aliens.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:52 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,621,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Who's the author of linked blog; a reiteration of what we've read on Richard Gallaghers work in the original post. The author offers nothing new....

After reading John Macks wiki biography; he's a Pulitzer Prize winning biographer and funded for his work and evaluation on those making claims of abduction by aliens.
Is this about the authors or content? Because I made a point not to even look up the writer of the original article so as not to be accused of attacking the messenger.

So I will give you that the author of the story/blog/post/article of what I posted may be far off the deep end. But that does not change that he makes some good points.

I can discuss the link that I posted with you or I can discuss the original article that you posted and did not even bother to find important enough to comment on.

The original article does not seem to me like it has anything specific and I am not sure why anyone would think this validates their opinion of demonic possession in any way. As a matter of fact I was a little disappointed that there was nothing specific in the article that I could take away. It just comes off as self promotion to me.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:27 AM

13,605 posts, read 11,301,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
In a way, it is sad that he comes from a religious viewpoint as it places a bias on the situation, however if it gets the job done...

Personally, I feel that much of this phenomena is squeezed into the various disciplines and their beliefs and explained in terms of what is familiar to their teachings.

There are probably both positive and negative uses of energy and there maybe plenty of similar crackpots who are religious or new agey figures who could also be deemed to be "possessed" but in a 'good' way although nothing is done about them. Wonder why not? Someone who is 'possessed' is ill or imbalanced, whether it is deemed as positive or negative energy doing the possession.

As conjecture, there is probably a lot more in the Vatican library which can be made public about this subject. I realise that they are making many documents freely available to the public but those which are not in alignment with the teachings are never likely to be made public and those may have some interesting and useful information. Basically, if the content is useful but does not go along with the Catholic beliefs, the information is kept hidden and the people who might benefit from it are left untreated. Not sure I agree with that.
Oh yeah. If I could get my hands on any hidden knowledge and documents, it would be the Vatican vaults.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:54 PM

13,652 posts, read 22,293,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Oh yeah. If I could get my hands on any hidden knowledge and documents, it would be the Vatican vaults.
Why would they keep it? Seriously.

Constantine called the first council of Nicea around 300 AD, it was to decide what books went into the bible. The bible is heavily edited document.

What didn't get in was destroyed. Along with the people that believed in those parts.

Just read about an English king who set about destroying documents of the previous -- a comment in a medieval writers group.

In Egypt, the female pharaoh Hatshepsut was nearly wiped from history.

Even today, we suffer from "truthiness"...the very act of "I believe this is fact, so it is fact. And no amount of evidence will sway me."

History has shown if we don't like it, we take it out. If it doesn't fit into our belief system we jettison it.

I just can't believe the Vatican is hiding any great secrets. Anything that doesn't follow their paradigm will be sanitized for their protection.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:15 PM

5,801 posts, read 4,518,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Why would they keep it? Seriously.

Constantine called the first council of Nicea around 300 AD, it was to decide what books went into the bible. The bible is heavily edited document.

What didn't get in was destroyed. Along with the people that believed in those parts.
As a former seminary student who has made a serious study of early Church history for some years, I don't think this is quite right - the history is a lot more complex. The Council identified which books should be considered part of the official canon - there were other texts like Shepherd of Hermas which didn't make all the criteria they used to identify texts that should go into the canon but which were widely used in churches and for private devotions. As far as I know, people weren't forbidden to read them, but they were not used as part of the lectionary for corporate worship.

No Orthodox or Roman Catholic scholars would dispute that the texts have been edited -- for example, what we seem to see in Paul's letters to a particular church are multiple letters that have been copied on the same papyrus to save on papyrus (it was expensive). The claim is (and accepting this is a matter of faith) that the process was under the direction of the Holy Spirit.

I know of no evidence that there was text burning under Constantine or other early Christian emperors, or that the people who believed in those texts were killed for their belief (if such exist, I would suspect them of being propaganda based on my readings). To the contrary -- adherents of the Gnostic heresies were commonly members in Christian churches; they said the creeds, but believed different things about them. A lot of Paul's letters deal with the problem of dealing with crypto-Gnostics embedded in the congregations he was writing to.

In fact, people thought Constantine drove Jews out of communities but not that long ago they found a 4th century synagogue within spitting distance of a contemporaneous Christian church. Some of what's claimed to be fact in historical documents is propaganda. A prime example is the forged Donation of Constantine, which was used by the powers in the west to consolidate the power claims of the Pope of Rome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donation_of_Constantine

Old 08-15-2016, 08:32 AM

19,218 posts, read 22,924,391 times
Whenever the topic of the so-called "suppressed" or "hidden" books of the Bible comes up, I always remind people of George Washington and the Cherry Tree. It's the same principle.

We still tell the story as a fable, but it isn't taught as history or included in history books (except as a fable) because historians have pretty well proven it never happened. Same thing with the books not included in the Bible. They were not included for a reason, and the reason was not because they contained Hidden Knowledge (cue the music) or because the Big Bad Meanies wanted the truth suppressed. It was because the consensus agreed they weren't true.

We applaud it when historians do it. We get suspicious when theologians do it. Which I just don't understand at all. Classic double standard.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:18 PM

5,801 posts, read 4,518,613 times
St. Athanasius on the canon:

Quote:
But for greater exactness I add this also, writing of necessity; that there are other books besides these not indeed included in the Canon, but appointed by the Fathers to be read by those who newly join us, and who wish for instruction in the word of godliness. The Wisdom of Solomon, and the Wisdom of Sirach, and Esther, and Judith, and Tobit, and that which is called the Teaching of the Apostles, and the Shepherd [of Hermas].
So there was the Canon, and then other writings (like Hermas which I mentioned earlier) which Christians read for instruction. In one of his books (I think it was "The Orthodox Way") Bishop Kallistos Ware quotes the Gospel of Thomas ("Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there.").

So I seriously doubt there are any hidden documents in the Vatican's vaults. Or on my side, in the monasteries of Mount Athos. It makes for a good Dan Brown like story, though.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:47 PM

8,290 posts, read 4,739,494 times
How many of the mysteries of the "paranormal" may eventually be explained by the mysteries of quantum science?

Old 08-18-2016, 02:18 PM

4,182 posts, read 3,079,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Great article. Two very important statements:

As with ghost claims, bigfoot claims, and the like, we always hear fantastic stories, but the interesting stuff never ever seems to happen when the cameras are rolling.

And

But demons are crafty. Right, and aliens are super intelligent, and bigfoot can teleport, and psychic powers don’t work in front of skeptics. We have heard it all. These are all just lame excuses (post hoc rationalization) for lack of evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.