U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:14 AM

19,193 posts, read 22,887,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Exactly. Follow the money.
a.) Exorcists are not paid.

b.) Priests are not rich. (Far from it in fact!)

c.) As for the televangelists ...
Rate this post positively

Old 08-25-2016, 10:48 AM

7,886 posts, read 3,904,701 times
Is there a lot of money in demonology? Maybe I can moonlight.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:14 AM

5,788 posts, read 4,503,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Is there a lot of money in demonology? Maybe I can moonlight.
You can pick up coursework to enhance your resume here:

The American Institute of Metaphysics, Located in Atlanta Georgia

Old 08-25-2016, 11:20 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,611,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
a.) Exorcists are not paid.
You cannot truthfully say that of all exorcists. Even the Catholic ones are getting money from somewhere.
Quote:
b.) Priests are not rich. (Far from it in fact!)
Again, I do not think you can truthfully say this of all priests. Even the current Pope had a problem with the wealth displayed when he became Pope.
Quote:
c.) As for the televangelists ...

Old 08-25-2016, 05:16 PM

16,081 posts, read 25,592,485 times
Quote:
You are correct. I have that right all along. I just decided to use it at that point.

Because I do not believe in your main point which seems to be that people cannot do mean spirited and selfish things and that they cannot be ignorant.

Even it there is a devil I do not think he really needs to help get killings and other crimes done. I personally feel it is a copout when people blame their actions on a higher evil force.

OK. No problem, but I still would like you to clarify what evil really is. Because I know of people who are jealous, scared, make a bad judgement, greedy, drunk, etc. that do things similar to what you describe in your post and I do not think it takes an evil force to make them do it.
Old Guard...

Asking to define evil isn't an unreasonable question, how the questions presented factors in;
representative of bad judgment made from bias and ego. We ALL have those aspects stated above, we also have control over whether we allow them to dominate our personality. What defines evil, total depravity, something completely out of ones control, you're a shell for use by forces we can't see. Aside from family members, only mental health care providers and psychiatry see these cases first hand to determine what falls into mental illness diagnosis or something 'other'; I think serious consideration should be taken in their judgment.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
You cannot truthfully say that of all exorcists. Even the Catholic ones are getting money from somewhere.
Catholic priests are not allowed to accept money for their services. They are paid by the diocese (and it ain't much). Are there crooked priests out there who might take someone's money? Sure. But they are the exception, not the rule.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Old Guard...

Asking to define evil isn't an unreasonable question, how the questions presented factors in;
representative of bad judgment made from bias and ego. We ALL have those aspects stated above, we also have control over whether we allow them to dominate our personality. What defines evil, total depravity, something completely out of ones control, you're a shell for use by forces we can't see. Aside from family members, only mental health care providers and psychiatry see these cases first hand to determine what falls into mental illness diagnosis or something 'other'; I think serious consideration should be taken in their judgment.
Both of these have existed for over 100 years and document.

Yet there are very few that document demons and evil spirits.

Quote:
Catholic priests are not allowed to accept money for their services. They are paid by the diocese (and it ain't much). Are there crooked priests out there who might take someone's money? Sure. But they are the exception, not the rule.

“The hypocrisy of those consecrated men and women who profess vows of poverty, yet live like the rich, wounds the souls of the faithful and harms the Church,” Pope Francis

Also:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...atholic-church

Old 08-25-2016, 07:48 PM

16,081 posts, read 25,592,485 times
Quote:
Both of these have existed for over 100 years and document.

Yet there are very few that document demons and evil spirits.
In the past, much of demonologys left strictly to theology and not heavily discussed. 'Few' can not be said with certainty.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Read the whole article. It's talking about the cardinals in Rome. Not your local priest. If you can find a rich parish priest who is getting rich by soaking his parishioners (or charging fees for exorcisms), I will hereby watch an episode of Dancing with the Stars as penance.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Read the whole article. It's talking about the cardinals in Rome. Not your local priest. If you can find a rich parish priest who is getting rich by soaking his parishioners (or charging fees for exorcisms), I will hereby watch an episode of Dancing with the Stars as penance.
Of course the bottom level of the pyramid does not make as much as the top levels. But you work the bottom to get to the top.

The lavish homes of American archbishops

Pope Suspends German Bishop Over House Project - WSJ

This is not something I noticed. This is something that Pope Francis noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.