U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 11:49 PM

706 posts, read 569,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I have a feeling that when we finally come face to face with some types of aliens we will find they are very similar but with more advanced technology and with more development than humans. You guys doing the exorcism may be the front line troops when that time comes.
Actually, if you look at the work of Jaques Vallee and others, they posit that the alien phenomenon can be attributed to the work of the unseen world (aka demons and such). They are also called the Djinn (or Jinn).

A Short Course On the Djinn | Vengeful Djinn
Rate this post positively

Old 07-04-2016, 01:36 AM

7,037 posts, read 3,520,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
If you have ever been in the presence of evil, even one time, you will know it with certainty and never forget it.
I once had a feeling that I was in the presence of evil (or something sinister). There was nothing there but it was as scary as ****. I made myself walk past it. I don't know what triggered it, it was a particular spot and the closer I got the scarier it was. It was only on that one occasion - the next morning all was normal and that night.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I once had a feeling that I was in the presence of evil (or something sinister). There was nothing there but it was as scary as ****. I made myself walk past it. I don't know what triggered it, it was a particular spot and the closer I got the scarier it was. It was only on that one occasion - the next morning all was normal and that night.
You should never discount your gut feelings, even if you can't see anything with your physical eyes. I don't "see" entities, but I can definitely feel their presence--and it's not pretty when they are of the negative polarity.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:48 PM

19,175 posts, read 22,864,621 times
Quote:
...urban legends are often correct.
Urban legends are rarely if ever correct. Elvis told me so the last time I ran into him at 7-11.

Quote:
As with many organisations, the Vatican is certainly too large and powerful to risk losing its position in the world over the publication of documents which show it is based on false or incorrect information.
Is there one iota of credible evidence that the Vatican is burying secret documents that would disprove its legitimacy? "Ah-ha! The fact that there is not a shred of credible evidence only proves they are covering it up!"

Such claims are no different than: "Mr. Johnson, do you still beat your wife?"

Quote:
I dont think anyone will deny there is a huge cover up going on in other areas where there are skeletons in its cupboard, so it is not beyond possibility.
Possibility and probability are two different things.

Quote:
You guys doing the exorcism may be the front line troops when that time comes.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:57 PM

Lol at that picture.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:58 PM

5,782 posts, read 4,497,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
Actually, if you look at the work of Jaques Vallee and others, they posit that the alien phenomenon can be attributed to the work of the unseen world (aka demons and such). They are also called the Djinn (or Jinn).
It's been years since I read Vallee, but I think his conclusion was that alien phenomena, demons, fairy encounters, and so on all are the same phenomenon manifesting itself differently depending on the culture experiencing them. He was AFAIK the first person to point out the commonalities between these experiences across cultures and across time. SOMETHING he concluded is trying to send us information, but it wasn't clear what that information is or who it was that was sending it. Or if it's so alien that we'll be unable to interpret it.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:05 PM

302 posts, read 188,162 times
I tend to take pause with this article as the guy involved had a religious perspective. I think it would be more interesting with an atheist being the person who studied the subjects.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:35 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
That's also very true. If you've ever actually had to deal with possessed people as I have, no one can tell you they are not. I have had people levitate off the floor, and/or crawl like a snake with no bones, not using their hands or legs to propel themselves. It's something you never forget.
saw it only once and that was enough for me----had to leave the room

Old 07-05-2016, 07:03 AM

19,175 posts, read 22,864,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free.spirit View Post
I tend to take pause with this article as the guy involved had a religious perspective. I think it would be more interesting with an atheist being the person who studied the subjects.
Why?

A materialist's take on spiritual matters might make for interesting reading, mostly because you have the opinion of someone who refuses to consider all the evidence. Interesting? Yes. A thorough conclusion? No.

Actually, that is the theme of William Blatty's The Exorcist (the novel, not the movie). The main characters are an avowed atheist, a priest who has lost his faith in all things spiritual, and various medical "experts" all trying to talk themselves out of believing in possession. The novel isn't so much about demonic possession as it is about faith and doubt, materialism and spiritualism. The movie, scary as it was, failed to capture a lot of that.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:06 PM

4,524 posts, read 4,015,156 times
Quote:
A materialist's take on spiritual matters might make for interesting reading, mostly because you have the opinion of someone who refuses to consider all the evidence. Interesting? Yes. A thorough conclusion? No.
We have already established that spiritual issues are almost impossible to study scientifically, so how thorough a conclusion is anyone ever going to reach?

It does not matter whether it is an athiest or anyone else, as you have said in other posts, we all have biases towards our beliefs and unless something can be studied without any human interaction it is notoriously difficult to reach a scientific conclusion which some people need for their belief to be validated.

Actually, I think there is a lot of wiggle room and many of the people who favour science and the scientific method for validating phenomena may, in their own private lives, believe in God and all manner of other things which cannot be scientifically validated.

I just do not see how one person can be a science-type in one part of their life and a religious-type in another part of their life. It seems rather hypocritical to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.