Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 06:52 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
In the past, much of demonologys left strictly to theology and not heavily discussed. 'Few' can not be said with certainty.
This is a change to what I stated, and I understand why you did it, but I will play.

If the information gathered was correct where is this info now? If this worked in the past it should work now and I would have hoped it would have been better documented.

I do not necessarily believe in evil but evil thrivesin an environment of darkness, lies and secrets.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:58 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Of course the bottom level of the pyramid does not make as much as the top levels. But you work the bottom to get to the top.

The lavish homes of American archbishops

Pope Suspends German Bishop Over House Project - WSJ

This is not something I noticed. This is something that Pope Francis noticed.
Bishops and archbishops are not parish priests, and they aren't performing exorcisms.

That said, Pope Francis's criticisms are spot on. Clergy should not be living as princes.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I do not necessarily believe in evil but evil thrivesin an environment of darkness, lies and secrets.
"Certain new theologians dispute original sin, which is the only part of Christian theology which can really be proved. Some followers of the Reverend R. J. Campbell, in their almost too fastidious spirituality, admit divine sinlessness, which they cannot see even in their dreams. But they essentially deny human sin, which they can see in the street. The strongest saints and the strongest sceptics alike took positive evil as the starting-point of their argument. If it be true (as it certainly is) that a man can feel exquisite happiness in skinning a cat, then the religious philosopher can only draw one of two deductions. He must either deny the existence of God, as all atheists do; or he must deny the present union between God and man, as all Christians do. The new theologians seem to think it a highly rationalistic solution to deny the cat." (Chesterton)

Old 08-26-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Bishops and archbishops are not parish priests, and they aren't performing exorcisms.
You keep moving the line but that is a line you are painting in the sand that I do not think is important. They are all part of the same pyramid.

Where do bishops and archbishops come from?
Quote:
That said, Pope Francis's criticisms are spot on. Clergy should not be living as princes.
Why would he make such criticism's? Would this man who has lived in the Church so long be wrong? IS he wrong? You keep moving the line but he was not just speaking of bishops and archbishops.
Quote:
"Certain new theologians dispute original sin, which is the only part of Christian theology which can really be proved. Some followers of the Reverend R. J. Campbell, in their almost too fastidious spirituality, admit divine sinlessness, which they cannot see even in their dreams. But they essentially deny human sin, which they can see in the street. The strongest saints and the strongest sceptics alike took positive evil as the starting-point of their argument. If it be true (as it certainly is) that a man can feel exquisite happiness in skinning a cat, then the religious philosopher can only draw one of two deductions. He must either deny the existence of God, as all atheists do; or he must deny the present union between God and man, as all Christians do. The new theologians seem to think it a highly rationalistic solution to deny the cat." (Chesterton)
I am not sure this is relevant. I am just asking why if there is a real problem is it not documented better and people made aware of it? For priests, OK, I am not going to worry about them as much.....but for mental health professionals? There is no reason it is not being documented and studied if it is a real issue.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:40 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
.....but for mental health professionals? There is no reason it is not being documented and studied if it is a real issue.
Are you speaking specifically to mental health professionals documentation?

If so, isn't this what the Dr in the original post attempting?

Old 08-26-2016, 11:45 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Keep to the topic, and not the church....in this context the two are not entwined.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:10 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:

evil thrivesin an environment of darkness, lies and secrets.
Absolutely.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Where do bishops and archbishops come from?
When a mommy and a daddy love each other very much ...

Old 08-27-2016, 01:07 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Quote:
People have seriously and scientifically investigated the potential. Multiple conflicting interests. The potential to monetize, gain an advantage over and control dissidents would give a huge advantage to anyone who could control such powers. But there is nothing from these studies.

Then we have the spiritual side which has also been studied. It would confer the same benefits and nothing has been found.

People did not give up on these because there was nothing to be gained, they gave up on them because eventually they felt like there was nothing to them.
Nothing has been found?? People have not given up on them. There is a HUGE advantage to influencing the minds of citizens. Religious groups and governments do monetize and influence their subjects. Or ... perhaps you had not noticed. How can you say that nothing has been found when there is a whole industry both in religion and in government (and also in business) where the influence of people's minds needs to be manipulated in order to get them to do what is needed. Shopping psychology, voting psychology, and winning the hearts and minds of groups of people is a large part of winning the desired outcome.

So, you would have us believe that nothing has been found?? Haha, open your eyes and see the world we live in.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Are you speaking specifically to mental health professionals documentation?
Please read the posts I am responding to get the context of the conversation. This may be helpful to us both in the future.

I was responding about mental health professionals seeing evil. I find it hard to believe that at least some psychiatrists would not document this evil, especially if it is some external force, and look for a way to help their patients. Write a paper, seek others with similar cases and pool find out what works and does not work. This is how we learn how to cure people.

ANYONE who professes to be a mental health professional that thinks there is an external evil force that is inside their patient is violating the trust we have in them.

As for some of the non scientific accounts mentioned in this thread, where is the real documentation? I would find it out of character for a very large organization that has been around hundreds of years, existed almost worldwide under various forms of governments and cultures to not keep documentation on this. I would also find it out of character for them to not share information about this one thing.
Quote:
If so, isn't this what the Dr in the original post attempting?
Not from what I can tell. The whole story seemed to be fluff to me. What was documented in the original article? It has shockingly few details. He is at work on a book about demonic possession in the United States. Which I assume is a commercial venture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal