U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 04:58 PM

742 posts, read 607,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think that one may also be a matter of people thinking they see what they see and never having had it correctly in the first place.

I'm on a condo board. We have had a landscaping company for YEARS, a large firm that is up and down mid-Atlantic states, called Brickman Landscaping. The board president, who has been on the board for at least 15 years, who SIGNS THEIR FRIKKEN CONTRACTS, who is retired and at home and sees their trucks at the complex every week with their name clearly painted on the side, called them Brinkman. Always said Brinkman instead of Brickman.

Finally, feeling irritated one day, I asked her why she doesn't call them by the right name. I pointed to a truck. She was surprised to see that there was no "n" in the name. Thankfully, they combined with another company now and changed their name entirely.

People see what they think they see.
This reminds me of someone I knew who had lived all his life in St. Francois County, Missouri, which he pronounced as through it were spelled "Francis". When I mentioned how it was spelled he argued with me that it was spelled "Francis" and said, "I should know, I see the name on the courthouse every day."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 08:31 PM

906 posts, read 637,419 times
Occam's Razor.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:09 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,217,805 times
People invariably pronounce "forte" when they intend to mean it as "strength" as "for-tay" when it should be "fort". If you were to pronounce it correctly, just about everyone else would think you were mispronouncing it when you were not.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:41 AM

997 posts, read 693,340 times
I pronounce it Fortay, and I am not going to change that habit because it feels right to me even if it isn't.

Sometimes I pronounce words wrong, knowing they are wrong but I like the mispronounced way better.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:22 PM

13,592 posts, read 22,224,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
People invariably pronounce "forte" when they intend to mean it as "strength" as "for-tay" when it should be "fort". If you were to pronounce it correctly, just about everyone else would think you were mispronouncing it when you were not.
I had to look that up..."for-tay" is the musical term for loud or strong. So it's easy to see why the confusion.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:25 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,700,361 times
Quote:
And that has nothing to do with the Mandela Effect.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:15 PM

29,118 posts, read 28,147,382 times
Perhaps he posted in the wrong thread. I've seen that before.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:49 PM

67,485 posts, read 62,976,415 times
Quote:
I know. I've known that for years, but to say it correctly would sound pretentious and like I'm saying "I know better than you, neh, neh."

I generally avoid the word if possible.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:50 PM

67,485 posts, read 62,976,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
And that has nothing to do with the Mandela Effect.
Haha, , and I answered it, too.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:28 PM

6,157 posts, read 2,742,897 times
OK, I'm freaked out by the no-braces on Jaw's new GF. I definitely remember her with them, as that was the whole point of their connection in the scene.

We have to get to the bottom of this.

I also thought Castro had been dead for quite awhile. Now what else have I missed....misremembered, misheard.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal