Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 03:59 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
When this forum orignally opened in 2012 after a few of us pressed administration for the forum; intention was like minded sharing of stories. Scattered trollers expected on forums; I'm baffled why anyone without an ounce of belief and no experience to speak from hangs around in a paranormal forum e v e r y d a y requesting
evidence like evidence would actually satisfy their curiosity.

I have a couple good photos of apparitians and someone I know with paranormal experiences living near a battlefield gets photos all the time. Sharing here...out of the question.
this should be for the free sharing of mysteries..

I cant go on the VEGAN forum and say they are misguided and start disagreeing with the whole premise,,,i would get dinged for trolling

some folks are just black and white and feel the need to correct people
or try to sound like the smartest guy in the room behind the keyboard

people are driven by want, need, and fears... and ironically, the loud leghumpers , probably has the biggest fears of the unknown ....
I have a cousin that fits this description to a T.... he saw a ghost one night at the foot of his bed as a kid, he wet himself and screamed, and it scared him so much he never ever wants to remember this,,,,he dumps on anything paranormal,,,i think its his way of running away from what he saw,,, because to acknowledge it,,,he thinks he would be inviting it back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 06:19 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
On the food forum someone could say that Mayonnaise tastes yucky. To them that is fact.
No. That is an opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts.

Quote:
The point is that if this is a paranormal section then why can't people talk about their own experiences without being harrassed. Everybody doesn't have to agree with the belief system but if somebody says they saw a ghost then they probably saw a ghost. What is a ghost? Who knows. People have different theories. I doubt theories, not experiences.
Good point. But playing the proverbial devil's advocate isn't always harassment. It can be if it gets personal.

If someone says, "I saw a ghost one time," then I am eager to hear their story. (I'm in that camp, by the way.) They are sharing their experience, and that's good.

But if someone says, "Ghosts are the spirits of the departed come back to guide us and we can communicate with them if we join hands and think positive thoughts under the moonlight --- unless someone is wearing green underwear made in Taiwan, because ghosts hate that!" Well then, the claimant is going to need to back up some of those claims before anyone takes them seriously. Asking for some evidence or at least a reasonable argument to back up an extraordinary claim is not harassment.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:35 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
No. That is an opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts.

Good point. But playing the proverbial devil's advocate isn't always harassment. It can be if it gets personal.

If someone says, "I saw a ghost one time," then I am eager to hear their story. (I'm in that camp, by the way.) They are sharing their experience, and that's good.

But if someone says, "Ghosts are the spirits of the departed come back to guide us and we can communicate with them if we join hands and think positive thoughts under the moonlight --- unless someone is wearing green underwear made in Taiwan, because ghosts hate that!" Well then, the claimant is going to need to back up some of those claims before anyone takes them seriously. Asking for some evidence or at least a reasonable argument to back up an extraordinary claim is not harassment.
An exaggerated scenario's entertaining; its not an explanation for whats happening on the forum.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:50 AM

997 posts, read 937,346 times
Quote:

I agree with you. I said that I never doubted a person's experience but I doubted their interpretation.

What you describe is not 'experience' it is a belief system and a ritual, possibly based on experience or something they read on the internet. I would either go along with it, because that scenario sounds kind of fun, or I would ignore it. I wouldn't challenge it or ask for proof because then I might have to listen to the response. I like the green underwear part. I would want to test out that theory.

That is the difference between believers in UFO's and rabid followers of the legends, and a person who has been an abductee. There are experiencers, and there are those who jump on the band wagon. Those are 2 different things. I don't believe in the band wagons, I believe in the experiencers and will defend them.

I don't think Mayonnaise tasting is simply an opinion. My point was that taste is a sense, and people experience that differently. There is the 6th sense, and people experience that differently also.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:56 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
So based on what some of you are saying I'm gathering that many believe that: if I fake a picture of (name your favorite paranormal phenomenon or cryptid) and make only a half-assed effort to make it look realistic and post it here claiming I took it in my back yard and there's no faking involved, trust me, absolutely no one should challenge my picture or ask for proof -- because this forum is only for "like minded" sharing of mysteries and challenging fakery and misinterpretations is, well, mean.

I know what my hobby's going to be for the rest of the summer.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
My point was that taste is a sense, and people experience that differently.
Precisely. It is a matter of taste. That is simply another way of saying a matter of opinion.

"Mayonnaise exists" is a fact.

"Mayonnaise is disgusting" is an opinion. The correct opinion, I'll grant you, but an opinion nonetheless.

Quote:
There is the 6th sense.
Where is your evidence for that? Sorry. You walked right in to that one.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
So based on what some of you are saying I'm gathering that many believe that: if I fake a picture of (name your favorite paranormal phenomenon or cryptid) and make only a half-assed effort to make it look realistic and post it here claiming I took it in my back yard and there's no faking involved, trust me, absolutely no one should challenge my picture or ask for proof -- because this forum is only for "like minded" sharing of mysteries and challenging fakery and misinterpretations is, well, mean.
See. I knew Vasily was going to post that.

I am psychic. Trust me.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:

I am psychic. Trust me.
I don't know...you might try reading up on Native Americans instead.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

I know what my hobby's going to be for the rest of the summer.
A relentless staunch non believer with 847 posts in paranormal forum and harrassment directed at a particular poster, who doesnt hold your views. Read the TOS.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:13 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
A relentless staunch non believer with 847 posts in paranormal forum and harrassment directed at a particular poster, who doesnt hold your views. Read the TOS.
If you think I'm a "relentless staunch non believer" who has targeted someone for harassment, you've been reading what I've posted selectively. When I've gotten out of line it's been in response to provocation. You might want to take your own advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal