U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2016, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
11,566 posts, read 14,598,875 times
Reputation: 17927

Advertisements

What is this thing? Scientists seem to be drawing a blank.


‘Alien Megastructure’ Star Mystery Deepens After Fresh Kepler Data Confirms Erratic Dimming

We need a closer look.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2016, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,794 posts, read 4,508,037 times
Reputation: 11002
What's most mysterious is that it appears to have a long history of gradual dimming -- which possibly suggests something being constructed around it over a period of decades or centuries.

The woman who discovered it has a Kickstarter page for further research (closed to further contributions at this time, but you can submit your email to be notified when and if they're able to accept more):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-in-the-galaxy

The Kickstarter project collected about $85000 by my calculations for further research.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 11:41 AM
 
59,346 posts, read 46,394,850 times
Reputation: 36813
Why look further?

We have an unexplained phenomenon in our infancy of viewing the stars and res ipso facto.....alien megastructure!

No matter what we find after that....most people that think it's an alien megastructure will have already bought in and will declare it a cover-up if in fact it turns out to be some other phenomenon.

Why don't we take a novel approach and stop making crazy guesses?
Didn't we learn our lesson with the "face on mars" or a host of other wild claims plucked right from the supermarket checkout line?

Oh well, wishful thinking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Houston
5,623 posts, read 3,097,918 times
Reputation: 3583
Whatever it is we're seeing around that star happened nearly 1,500 years ago. The gradual dimming is compelling to say the least.

This is what we were up to when KIC8462852 was at the stage we are currently observing:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/536

Last edited by ahzzie; 08-09-2016 at 12:29 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
11,566 posts, read 14,598,875 times
Reputation: 17927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Why look further?

We have an unexplained phenomenon in our infancy of viewing the stars and res ipso facto.....alien megastructure!

No matter what we find after that....most people that think it's an alien megastructure will have already bought in and will declare it a cover-up if in fact it turns out to be some other phenomenon.

Why don't we take a novel approach and stop making crazy guesses?
Didn't we learn our lesson with the "face on mars" or a host of other wild claims plucked right from the supermarket checkout line?

Oh well, wishful thinking.
While some things have been debunked, and some may continue to believe it's Aliens regardless-We must always consider the possibility that one day it could be the real thing.

The face on Mars clearly showed to be a lump of dirt as our tech improved to look out into the cosmos. As we advance we will have more access to debunk-or one day confirm an amazing discovery.

I used the quotation marks because i understand that it could be something natural and unknown, But it's fun to ponder it being an Alien shopping mall or intergalactic Greyhound flying saucer station.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,794 posts, read 4,508,037 times
Reputation: 11002
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I used the quotation marks because i understand that it could be something natural and unknown, But it's fun to ponder it being an Alien shopping mall or intergalactic Greyhound flying saucer station.
They do in fact have an eye on us -- and they're hangry. It's a giant factory where they plan on turning us into Glagnar's Human Rinds. ""It's a bunch'a munch'a crunch'a human!"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,794 posts, read 4,508,037 times
Reputation: 11002
This article includes a graph showing the gradual dimming followed by a substantial increase in the rate of dimming, and a couple of huge dips toward the end. This is really weird stellar behavior.

The Ever More Puzzling, And Intriguing, “Tabby’s Star.” – Many Worlds
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Houston
5,623 posts, read 3,097,918 times
Reputation: 3583
Let's assume for a minute that this dimming is caused by the activity of a civilization far older than ours. Needless to say the questions it raises are infinite.

Do they know we're here? If they are anything like us they will have scanned their sky for radio signals from other civilizations. If they know about us do they care? Are they trying to contact us? Have they in the past?

Is interstellar travel really possible? If so, have they tried it or is it just not practical for any civilization no matter how far along technologically they are?

Roughly 1500 years have passed since the events being observed happened. What will the star look like to us 1500 years from now? Will it encompass it entirely?

Lots of things to ponder on this one!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 12:11 AM
 
Location: PRC
4,532 posts, read 4,027,376 times
Reputation: 4035
Yale’s Tabetha Boyajian


There is an interesting TED talk on this (Did we just discover aliens) which I watched and it gives some facts which mostly not considered by the nay-sayers. Apparently it cannot be comets and the dimming is like 20% which is an almost unheard of amount. It is also know as Tabby's star I believe.

Anyone who completely dismisses the idea of a megastructure has not done enough research into this because all of the usual stuff has been ruled out either due to the large amount of dimming seen or for some other reason (I dont know, I'm not an astrophysicist) Of course, it might be something else (as she admits) causing the dimming, but I think this would not be the first time that sci-fi ideas have come to be truth eventually.

TED talk
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
11,566 posts, read 14,598,875 times
Reputation: 17927
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Let's assume for a minute that this dimming is caused by the activity of a civilization far older than ours. Needless to say the questions it raises are infinite.

Do they know we're here? If they are anything like us they will have scanned their sky for radio signals from other civilizations. If they know about us do they care? Are they trying to contact us? Have they in the past?

Is interstellar travel really possible? If so, have they tried it or is it just not practical for any civilization no matter how far along technologically they are?

Roughly 1500 years have passed since the events being observed happened. What will the star look like to us 1500 years from now? Will it encompass it entirely?

Lots of things to ponder on this one!
If they are that advanced to have created such a structure, the chances are high they do know we are here. They might have surpassed radio technology while we were still primitive even. They may even be extinct, as some scientists have stated being the reason no first contact has happened. Interstellar travel along vast distances would be challenging for any race though as the challenges to overcome (barring the wormhole theory) would be extreme. I find it hard to believe an intelligent race would not want to know more about us and communicate-Unless they know great detail and sadly our state of affairs (wars, violence, pollution) may discourage it.

There are a lot of things to ponder, I agree.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top