U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 01:57 PM

20,816 posts, read 26,115,357 times

Advertisements

I have always been charmed by the idea of visiting the Lily Dale Assembly, a spirituals community in upstate NY. It was founded during the Spiritualist movement of the 1800s and was built as a retreat, church and meeting center, for like minded people in the 1800s.

It looks so quaint and charming, there are no cars as I understand it, and boarding houses are available, if you want the whole "Lily Dale experience". Unfortunately, we booked too late so we will be staying at the Comfort Inn. Lily Dale is a well maintained Victorian village, that is within a small NY town. It sits beside a beautiful lake. I am also looking forward to it as a mini-vacation.
I'll be going with my husband, two college friends and their husbands, and another friend and her SO.

I am so excited!

My question is - has anyone been to Lily Dale before? If so, what are your experiences? Any advice for a first time visitor?

(Please, if you do not believe in mediums, psychics, spiritualists or metaphysics, I understand and you have a right to your beliefs. But this is not a "debate thread" - let's just agree to disagree)

There is a book that I read several years ago that might be of interest to anyone contemplating a visit to Lily Dale.

"Lily Dale - the true story of the town that Talks to the dead" by Christine Wicker.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 05:16 PM

16,081 posts, read 25,597,103 times
Well, can't add to any discussion, but I'm intrigued
from what I've read and may pick up a copy
of the book on Lilli Dale. I think HBO has a documentary.
We have a community started here probably in the latter1800s, turn of the century that began with spiritualists and free thinkers; didn't quite develope into Lilli Dale, now occupied with free thinkers, bohemians and a lot of artists on the historic register.

I'm interested in hearing about your experience, so update us on the trip!

Old 08-17-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Well, can't add to any discussion, but I'm intrigued
from what I've read and may pick up a copy
of the book on Lilli Dale. I think HBO has a documentary.
We have a community started here probably in the latter1800s, turn of the century that began with spiritualists and free thinkers; didn't quite develope into Lilli Dale, now occupied with free thinkers, bohemians and a lot of artists on the historic register.

I'm interested in hearing about your experience, so update us on the trip!
I will indeed! Never heard about the HBO documentary. I would really like to see it. I don't think it's on HBO currently. Can I see it online or is there a DVD available?

Wish you were coming too! Perhaps next time.

I will give a full report of everything!

Old 08-17-2016, 06:56 PM

8,250 posts, read 4,718,341 times
Have a good time, sheena. I do a lot of "oddity" tourism, too.

Maybe you'll get a message from beyond!

Old 08-17-2016, 07:05 PM

13,627 posts, read 22,257,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I will indeed! Never heard about the HBO documentary. I would really like to see it. I don't think it's on HBO currently. Can I see it online or is there a DVD available?

Wish you were coming too! Perhaps next time.

I will give a full report of everything!
If my mom comes through get her recipe for her salad dressing. I'm the only kid that can't make it, and my sisters recipes are both different....

Have fun...it does sound cool....

Old 08-18-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Have a good time, sheena. I do a lot of "oddity" tourism, too.

Maybe you'll get a message from beyond!
Thank you! I will report back.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If my mom comes through get her recipe for her salad dressing. I'm the only kid that can't make it, and my sisters recipes are both different....

Have fun...it does sound cool....
Thanks Tallysmom! If she comes through I'll be sure to ask. What's her first name just in case?

Old 08-18-2016, 12:39 PM

13,627 posts, read 22,257,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Thanks Tallysmom! If she comes through I'll be sure to ask. What's her first name just in case?
I was the only one who called her Ma.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:24 PM

4,531 posts, read 4,025,295 times
I have been to many spiritualists conferences and courses on things like psychic art, development, meditation, you name it I have probably been to a lecture on it. I think they are often a really good opportunity to get away and become revitalised and refreshed from normal everyday life. I remember it was often difficult to keep feet on the ground after I returned from one of these weekends or weeks course due to the different energies. Not sure how this place is run, but they probably do lectures and readings and stuff like that.

These courses I attended in the UK, were good experience though and if you can afford it, get some readings from the people you think are experienced and respected - the opportunity does not come up very often to see these people and there are often many good ones in one place.
One person I saw was Coral Polge, even then a well known psychic artist. Not sure if I got any relatives or guides but they may have been. I was young and didnt know many of the family ancients at that time.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:50 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,901,090 times
Never heard of it, but it sounds like it's right up my alley!
I am going to do an internet research to learn more and can't wait to hear of your experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal