U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 04:55 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,632,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I read the number was 40 people. But are we going to quibble over 5?

How Human Beings Almost Vanished From Earth In 70,000 B.C. : Krulwich Wonders... : NPR

Keep in mind it's an unproven theory, and until someone invents a time machine, there is no way to prove it beyond all doubt.
Hi Mark. The NPR link does not say 40 people. It says "40 breeding pairs (children not included)", which would be more like 80 people + most likely a number of children.
Quote:
Well, the technical term is 40 "breeding pairs" (children not included). More likely there was a drastic dip and then 5,000 to 10,000 bedraggled Homo sapiens struggled together in pitiful little clumps hunting and gathering for thousands of years until, in the late Stone Age, we humans began to recover.
The article continues saying there was "More likely a drastic dip and then 5,000 to 10,000 bedraggled Homo sapiens struggled together in pitiful small clumps..." until the late Stone Age.

While some kind of event severely reduced the population, it begs the question of whether the reduction was to all of Homo sapiens, or only those who had migrated out of Africa. If the latter, then the global population of Homo sapiens at the time would have been greater in number than just 40 breeding pairs.

There is the idea that the Toba Supervolcano may have been responsible for a global climactic change in the form of a "volcanic winter". The NPR article says that humans living in East Africa probably starved as ash covered the land, making it hard to find fruit, berries, etc. However, that idea seems unlikely due to more recent studies.

While there is dated evidence of volcanic ash from the Toba Supervolcano in parts of Southern Asia (such as India), SE Asia, and somewhat East Asia (such as China), there is no evidence of the ash reaching Africa. Although the Toba eruption would have been quite significant, it's doubtful that it could have been able to cause a "volcanic winter" on a global scale.
(Note the migratory routes in the first link)
https://genographic.nationalgeograph...human-journey/
Doubt over 'volcanic winter' after Toba super-eruption

It's unknown as to how many humans there were in the world at that time although fair to say relatively small in number. My guess is perhaps ~10,000 at the time of migration out of Africa. That migration would have been very gradual and taken time to increase. About 70,000 years ago was the time of the last Ice Age. That could have been extremely brutal for those that had already migrated to Europe and Asia. I'm sure many died unable to acclimate to cold temperatures and hard to find food.

Although we might not have any time machines handy, we do have equipment and methods to help give us a better idea and make comparisons than nothing at all.

Bringing it back to the subject of Gigantopithecus blacki, their disappearance could have been related to a loss of habitat. We've seen that begin to happen to the orangutan as their habitat has been shrinking due to excessive logging and burning of their forest homes. In the case of Gigantopithecus blacki, a severe climate change, like an Ice Age, could have depleted their habitat until they became extinct.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-22-2016, 05:58 PM

19,169 posts, read 22,856,153 times
Good info, NightBazaar. Thanks bunches!

Old 08-22-2016, 11:02 PM

5,574 posts, read 2,548,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
People have spent countless hours in the woods, trying to obtain evidence of Bigfoot, Yeti, Sasquatch, etc. No one has found even the most miniscule evidence that such a creature exists. All we ever get is a questionable "footprint," or an explanation that these creatures inhabit multiple dimensions, or that they have the ability to "cloak" themselves.

"The truth isn't always popular, but it's still the truth."
I mean, I know it's weird, but I've got two in my backyard and I rent a room to another. (He's kindof a geek bigfoot.) You can't take their picture...the lens just won't focus. Kindof amazing.

The geek is named Lenny. He's been making me angry thought because he keeps doing his whole vanishing bit each month when it comes time to pay rent. Of course, the police won't give me an eviction notice so now I'm stuck with a deadbeat tenant.

And that, Mr IRS Agent, is why you see rental expenses without revenue.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:13 PM

5,168 posts, read 3,603,730 times
I find Bigfoot threads without Versatile disappointing.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:04 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,731,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Photos, people, photos. Everyone has a camera on them at all times, yet no one ever gets a photo. I don't believe people are seeing anything other than transients and the homeless.
My encounter happened 22 miles outside of town, 22 miles that took an hour to drive with winding steep roads up into the mountains. Three gates to open and close and the last half of the 22 miles was dirt roads through private property.

There are no transients or homeless people up there.

The most logical explanation would be a bear. However, what bear, on just two feet, can out run a large dog?
And while I had a phone capable of taking pictures, I did not take my phone with me because there was no reason to do so. We got no reception out that far into the wilderness. I did not anticipate seeing any unexplained creature while out tending to the spring.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:42 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,632,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
The most logical explanation would be a bear. However, what bear, on just two feet, can out run a large dog?
Bears can walk on two feet and at a fairly brisk pace. It might be possible it could "run" on two legs if necessary. In some instances, such bears do this because of an injury to the front legs. Are you saying that a large dog was chasing the creature you saw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcIkQaLJ9r8

Old 08-23-2016, 01:52 PM

12,445 posts, read 12,332,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
My encounter happened 22 miles outside of town, 22 miles that took an hour to drive with winding steep roads up into the mountains. Three gates to open and close and the last half of the 22 miles was dirt roads through private property.

There are no transients or homeless people up there.

And while I had a phone capable of taking pictures, I did not take my phone with me because there was no reason to do so. We got no reception out that far into the wilderness. I did not anticipate seeing any unexplained creature while out tending to the spring.
So it was probably a bear.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:41 PM

5,779 posts, read 4,494,139 times
More on population bottlenecks and human evolution:

Population Bottlenecks and Pleistocene Human Evolution

Old 08-23-2016, 11:19 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,731,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Bears can walk on two feet and at a fairly brisk pace. It might be possible it could "run" on two legs if necessary. In some instances, such bears do this because of an injury to the front legs. Are you saying that a large dog was chasing the creature you saw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcIkQaLJ9r8
I've seen bears walk on two legs. But I think in a panic, they would resort to something more stable and faster, especially on rugged terrain. Also, it is very rare for there to be a brown colored bear in his area. We have black bears and they are on the small side. This thing was bigger.
And yes. The thing alerted our dog and he took off after it. Our dog was a medium-large sized dog, and had a lot of leg. He grew up in the mountains, so he was in his element, knowing how to navigate steep wooded ground.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:17 AM

59,211 posts, read 46,307,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I find Bigfoot threads without Versatile disappointing.
Yeah, I love being challenged to meet someone to go out and meet bigfoot and then later see posts that they aren't able to go out and hunt for bigfoot.

There's a lot we still don't know but a few centuries now without anything to present to people as coming from a bigfoot that passes any real scientific rigor? At that point, you kinda have to give it up....or assume they can cloak themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.