U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2016, 03:26 AM
 
Location: PRC
4,676 posts, read 4,113,128 times
Reputation: 4162

Advertisements

Quote:
There's a lot we still don't know but a few centuries now without anything to present to people as coming from a bigfoot that passes any real scientific rigor? At that point, you kinda have to give it up....or assume they can cloak themselves.
Hoho! cloaking whoever heard anything so ridiculous? We all know that is sci-fi dont we? Actually, it isnt and there are cloaking technologies out there so why not a biological one? They must have developed it from somewhere. Just because you dont believe it and you dont have evidence, does not mean there is none.

Maybe you can tell us how you know what scientific rigor actually IS in this case? Have you done any research of your own to find out what science has been done in this area of investigation? Why do you say there is no evidence to 'present' when there are scientists such as Jeff Meldrum studying the phenomena. As I said before, there is MORE evidence for Bigfoot than there is for God so maybe you hop over to the religion forum and ask them for evidence to be 'presented'? It is really strange how so many people across the world believe in something with so little presentable evidence.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 08-24-2016, 05:05 AM
 
Location: St. Louis
3,287 posts, read 1,846,457 times
Reputation: 2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, I love being challenged to meet someone to go out and meet bigfoot and then later see posts that they aren't able to go out and hunt for bigfoot.

There's a lot we still don't know but a few centuries now without anything to present to people as coming from a bigfoot that passes any real scientific rigor? At that point, you kinda have to give it up....or assume they can cloak themselves.
"Bear of Prey"?


(Only Trekkies...)
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-24-2016, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
5,170 posts, read 3,651,957 times
Reputation: 6321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, I love being challenged to meet someone to go out and meet bigfoot and then later see posts that they aren't able to go out and hunt for bigfoot.

There's a lot we still don't know but a few centuries now without anything to present to people as coming from a bigfoot that passes any real scientific rigor? At that point, you kinda have to give it up....or assume they can cloak themselves.
Versatile was polite and did not insult you if you did not believe the way he did. Which is why I liked him even though I did not agree with everything he said.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-24-2016, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Maine
19,375 posts, read 23,046,116 times
Reputation: 23811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Versatile was polite and did not insult you if you did not believe the way he did. Which is why I liked him even though I did not agree with everything he said.
Ditto.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-24-2016, 01:51 PM
 
12,212 posts, read 11,583,435 times
Reputation: 4931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, I love being challenged to meet someone to go out and meet bigfoot and then later see posts that they aren't able to go out and hunt for bigfoot.

There's a lot we still don't know but a few centuries now without anything to present to people as coming from a bigfoot that passes any real scientific rigor? At that point, you kinda have to give it up....or assume they can cloak themselves.
Hellooo! I am here and ready to go. You are the one backing out. In fact i am wanting to go out and have some fun. So many critters in so many places.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-24-2016, 08:50 PM
 
5,464 posts, read 8,673,379 times
Reputation: 3543
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I've seen bears walk on two legs. But I think in a panic, they would resort to something more stable and faster, especially on rugged terrain. Also, it is very rare for there to be a brown colored bear in his area. We have black bears and they are on the small side. This thing was bigger.
And yes. The thing alerted our dog and he took off after it. Our dog was a medium-large sized dog, and had a lot of leg. He grew up in the mountains, so he was in his element, knowing how to navigate steep wooded ground.
Thanks Owl. The thing is that a bear is naturally going to appear to look bigger if it's standing up on its hind legs than it would if it were on all four legs. I would also think if a bear could only stand on its hind legs because of an injury to its front legs, if it thought it was in danger, it might well be able to move a lot faster to get away, even if all it could use are it's two hind legs. You mention that brown bears are rare in that area. I assume that to mean on rare occasions there have been brown bears in the area? How far away would you say the creature was from you when you first spotted it? Was your dog able to catch up to bite at it? I'm not saying it was a bear, rather just suggesting that it might be a plausible possibility.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-25-2016, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Maine
19,375 posts, read 23,046,116 times
Reputation: 23811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Hellooo! I am here and ready to go. You are the one backing out. In fact i am wanting to go out and have some fun. So many critters in so many places.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-25-2016, 07:19 AM
 
12,212 posts, read 11,583,435 times
Reputation: 4931
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Thanks Owl. The thing is that a bear is naturally going to appear to look bigger if it's standing up on its hind legs than it would if it were on all four legs. I would also think if a bear could only stand on its hind legs because of an injury to its front legs, if it thought it was in danger, it might well be able to move a lot faster to get away, even if all it could use are it's two hind legs. You mention that brown bears are rare in that area. I assume that to mean on rare occasions there have been brown bears in the area? How far away would you say the creature was from you when you first spotted it? Was your dog able to catch up to bite at it? I'm not saying it was a bear, rather just suggesting that it might be a plausible possibility.
I think a standing Black Bear is short on the rear legs. IMO Out of proportion to how a BF is. A person needs to if they can with a sighting to immediately look around the subject for a limb or mark on the side of a tree etc to go back and determine height.

I haven't ever seen a track or photo of a track of a standing bear. Have you? A Bear standing and walking won't have near the stride of a BF.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-25-2016, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Under the Redwoods
3,751 posts, read 6,780,985 times
Reputation: 6078
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Thanks Owl. The thing is that a bear is naturally going to appear to look bigger if it's standing up on its hind legs than it would if it were on all four legs. I would also think if a bear could only stand on its hind legs because of an injury to its front legs, if it thought it was in danger, it might well be able to move a lot faster to get away, even if all it could use are it's two hind legs. You mention that brown bears are rare in that area. I assume that to mean on rare occasions there have been brown bears in the area? How far away would you say the creature was from you when you first spotted it? Was your dog able to catch up to bite at it? I'm not saying it was a bear, rather just suggesting that it might be a plausible possibility.
It's quite alright. I go through the gauntlet of logical before I determine something mysterious and unknown. A bear is the most logical explanation. Plus, you (and everyone else) don't know the extent of my whole life experiences and what I know of don't know and what I have ruled in or out.
I could totally see a person living in Willow Creek for six months after only ever living in a city, they would likely call a bear Big Foot. But I have lived in these mountains for decades. I have encountered mountain lions on several occasions, bears, river otters, river eels, raccoons and even the non-indigenous porcupine (that was a trip!). My son's father even wrestled with a bald eagle in order to rescue my son's duck....so we have some backwoods savvy.
Bears around here tend to be small. We had one with cubs in our chicken coop and she was the biggest I had seen and she was only about 5-9 (coop celing is 6ft). I was up close and personal with this momma.

My dog (and my daughter!) never caught up to it. It was already on the run when I was made aware, I was busy with the spring. My daughter and brother in law got the best look at it. My daughter was quite excited by the experience, my brother in law, a bit more terrified. He said that this thing swooped its arms while running to move branches out of the way.
My dog ran pretty hard after that thing, he came back panting like I'd never seen before. Also if it was a bear, it would have most likely climbed up a tree at some point, because that's what they do when chased by dogs. My dog would have been at the base of the tree barking. I could hear all the crashing of brush, and the barking. Then it all stopped. About 5 minutes later my daughter and dog were back at the spring.

Yes, occasionally there are the off colored black bears that look more brown or tan. But of all the bears I have seen, and all the hunters of bears that I know, only one person has seen an off colored bear.
So while it's possible, I'm considering the odds as well.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-25-2016, 09:11 AM
 
13,777 posts, read 22,411,017 times
Reputation: 24980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I think a standing Black Bear is short on the rear legs. IMO Out of proportion to how a BF is. A person needs to if they can with a sighting to immediately look around the subject for a limb or mark on the side of a tree etc to go back and determine height.

I haven't ever seen a track or photo of a track of a standing bear. Have you? A Bear standing and walking won't have near the stride of a BF.
There was recently Facebook video of a brown bear with an obviously injured front leg that was on two back feet. The one front paw was dangling and floppy.

But yes...too small for Bigfoot...
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top