Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 01:47 PM

506 posts, read 647,990 times

Advertisements

Soon after my best friend and father died I was on my computer in my office. This was about 1998. Suddenly a very strong scent of dried rose petals came into the room. It didn't scare me; it smelled fabulous. Stupidly I said nothing; soon the scent dissipated. I felt like I had been given a wonderful gift but, from whom?
Roses used to have a wonderful scent. Now they have almost none. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 01:49 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,053,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzd View Post
If so what happened?
They prefer to be referred to as Spirits and nothing happened.
Do you expect every encounter with a Spirit to be negative or terrifying like the movies portray?

Old 10-09-2016, 02:12 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,294,691 times
Wow, after reading these threads, I guess the mind really does just start to go on people. Figments of everybody's imagination. There are no GHOST! The sounds you heard were probably that of an old house mixed in with a lot of wold coinceidences. My mother recently turned 60 and boy has she recreated the past. My 80 year old grandmother does much of the same. I suspect many here have done the same. I mean how do you see a full figure walking around your house and not even leave. Thats just crazy in its own right

Old 10-09-2016, 02:37 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,295,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Wow, after reading these threads, I guess the mind really does just start to go on people. Figments of everybody's imagination. There are no GHOST! The sounds you heard were probably that of an old house mixed in with a lot of wold coinceidences. My mother recently turned 60 and boy has she recreated the past. My 80 year old grandmother does much of the same. I suspect many here have done the same. I mean how do you see a full figure walking around your house and not even leave. Thats just crazy in its own right
How do you know there's no such thing as ghosts or spirits if you've never seen one?

The reason I didn't run out the door after I saw the old lady is because she wasn't threatening. She didn't even look at me. If it was something that looked frightening, or threatened me in any way I would have been out my door in a heartbeat.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:48 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,157,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
Soon after my best friend and father died I was on my computer in my office. This was about 1998. Suddenly a very strong scent of dried rose petals came into the room. It didn't scare me; it smelled fabulous. Stupidly I said nothing; soon the scent dissipated. I felt like I had been given a wonderful gift but, from whom?
Roses used to have a wonderful scent. Now they have almost none. Why is that?
Home grown roses still do, but roses from florists don't. In fact, I think they smell moldy. The smell was bred out to breed in longevity. It's because roses aren't local anymore, they have to travel long distances and then because of the cost, last a long time at your home. A home grown rose would fade in a few days after picking.

Sort of like those gorgeous, but tasteless tomatoes....

Old 10-09-2016, 03:59 PM

32,817 posts, read 36,084,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
WHAT? Are you sure this didn't happen in your dream? If I'm aware that I am home ALONE and "somebody" suddenly walks out from bedroom, I'd have difficulty grasping the scenario let alone asking "Can I help you"!
Perhaps she should have prepared a few words.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:59 PM

13,450 posts, read 8,987,949 times
I have had a few spooky thing happen to me, but have only ever seen an actual "ghost" once when I was younger. It was at a library in the village where I grew up in the UK, the library building was very old & was originally the village school, almost a cottage like building made of flint. There were always stories about the building being haunted so one night me, my older sister, her boyfriend & our two male cousins (who were "hard" & from a rough council estate) decided to go & look. We went round the back of the building & looked through various windows, then when we got to the side of the building, (which is now the office for the library), we saw an elderly woman sat at a desk, she was almost see through & was all white, almost like she was made of mist. As all of us stood with mouths wide open then suddenly the "woman" turned her head & stared right at as through the window! Her face is still etched in my mind to this day as it was almost skeletal like... we all screamed & my "hard" male cousins & sisters boyfriend ran the fastest up the road leaving me & my sister behind! We absolutely sh*t our pants & I never went anywhere near the building again & if I had to walk past it I would make sure I looked stright ahead & not look at any windows

Old 10-09-2016, 04:32 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,043,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
WHAT? Are you sure this didn't happen in your dream? If I'm aware that I am home ALONE and "somebody" suddenly walks out from bedroom, I'd have difficulty grasping the scenario let alone asking "Can I help you"!
Sometimes what we THINK we would do is not what we WOULD actually do.

A couple of years ago I walked out to get something out of my car at about 4am ... & saw someone breaking into a neighbors ground floor window (she had just left for work).

It was kind of surreal ... I just froze & stared & he did the same thing.

I still can't believe myself but the 1st thing out of my mouth was "Um; are you OK? Can I help you?"

Then I turned, walked calmly inside, locked my door & dialed 911.

The dispatch operater asked "Which direction did the intruder flee" & I had to say "Well; he's still there because all I could think of to say was ...can I help you; I didn't even scare him away!"

All was well that ended well, though because I was so NOT-scary that the dude was still trying to break in when the cops showed up; so he didn't get away ... they caught him.

You should have seen the look on my neighbors face when I told her I actually asked if I "could help him" ...to this day I have NO CLUE why I would say that!

Old 10-09-2016, 04:45 PM

562 posts, read 673,318 times
I sure did! My friend Fred.. about 6 in the morning... standing outside my house... right across the street... looking at me... I came out on the porch and asked him if he'd like to smoke a doobie with me. I knew he'd say OK, because we always smoked together, and then liked to mess with each other's heads in a joking way. Strange thing was...he did'nt say anything, or do anything. He just stood there looking zombie-like at me... otherwise, he looked just like he always did. So, I ran back in the house anyway to get the smoke, and when I got back out, he was gone. I went around looking for him, but nada. A couple weeks later, his brother told me he died in a bad car accident a couple of months ago. I said, "no, because he just came to my house a couple of weeks ago!" Fred was always messin with my head and laughin. I guess he just wanted to get one, last, good, head-joke, in.

Last edited by glenninindy; 10-09-2016 at 05:05 PM..

Old 10-09-2016, 05:06 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,552,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
When my little Shih Tzu Zachary was alive, he would always sleep in bed with me. The bed would bounce a bit when he jumped up on it and I would feel his footsteps and then feel him curl up against my back and go to sleep. At least a few dozen times since he passed away I have been lying in bed about to go to sleep when I feel the "bounce" of the bed and then I feel the plodding footsteps. Finally, I feel a pressure on my back. It really startled me the first few times it happened. Now I just look over my shoulder and say, "Goodnight Zack". I find it very comforting.
That made me cry. So sweet.

Most of the other stories just creeped me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal