Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 09:02 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times

Advertisements

Some Colorado Springs areas "prone" to some unexplained events are: Much of the west-side; in particular: Mountain Shadows, Holland Park(GOG) "Old Colorado City" & the area directly to the south of 24 (known to some locals as the "mines").

Also Palmer Park, Knob Hill & I25/N Nevada area. The I-25/N Nevada area (University Park) is actually on a "Top 10" registry, I will have to search for the link (it's been a few years since I saw it).

I lived in the Holland Park neighborhood from 2001-2010 & some of the strangest things happened over there; not just by my account but by long-term neighbors as well. You could possibly verify this with CSFD station #12 as they get alot of citizen inquiry regarding "things that go bump (or boom; rather) in the night".

Fountain Blvd/MLK bypass area can be downright eerie. Also a few residences in the ONE as well.

There are some factors in CS that could lend itself to rational explanation also; such as: Military aircraft exercises, including a huge swath of overhead CS used for "night training". Aklso the front range provides for some odd acoustics during Ft. Carson training.

There is the fact that much of CS is built over a huge, ancient aquifer that extends from Pikes Peak almost to Cimmarron Hills & might cause "settling" noises, along with the mine areas in Cragmoor & the landslide areas in the Broadmoor.

Both the Village-7 area & Black Forest have a strange air current issue that almost creates a "vortex" effect & that could explain some noise also. Check out Wunderground,com for it's live weather stations & you can see it happen plain as day on the wind speed/direction meters.

The industrial area to the north of GOG & west of I25 has several buisnesses that run 24/7 & can make you jump out of your skin if your outside close by after dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 02:33 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Thanks to Tallysmom for merging the two threads and cleaning them up of extraneous nonsense.

I've a friend back in COLO SPGS who once rented an older home on the west side. One day she was busy doing some housework and the fireplace screen actually flew across the room. She swore there was no wind or other reason for this occur other than some sort of paranormal activity.

There are things we don't understand, and I'm hoping that someday science will find the explanations.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:53 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,515 times
I don't think it's "extraneous nonsense" to point out that burning things in your closets, which are normally stuffed with clothing and other flammable materials, is a serious fire hazard. Nor is it "extraneous nonsense" to point out that strange house noises are likely to have a cause that can be rationally explained and repaired.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:37 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
I don't think it's "extraneous nonsense" to point out that burning things in your closets, which are normally stuffed with clothing and other flammable materials, is a serious fire hazard. Nor is it "extraneous nonsense" to point out that strange house noises are likely to have a cause that can be rationally explained and repaired.
BUT, it can be harassment, if done in such a way that is negative. On the paranormal board, the burden of proof isn't rigorous. Here, if people say something is happening, we're likely to believe it.

It's okay to say...this happened at a friends house, and he discovered mice had chewed through wires...but to call someone foolish and ignorant here will get you a time out.

Just saying....

By the way, burning sage isn't an "open" flame. The sage smokes, and you wave the smoke with a feather to smudge the interior of the closet with the smoke. There shouldn't be burning embers flying off, and you usually have a receptacle to hold the sage as you wave the feather. While there is some danger, handled properly, it would be slight.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:59 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
BUT, it can be harassment, if done in such a way that is negative. On the paranormal board, the burden of proof isn't rigorous. Here, if people say something is happening, we're likely to believe it.

It's okay to say...this happened at a friends house, and he discovered mice had chewed through wires...but to call someone foolish and ignorant here will get you a time out.

Just saying....

By the way, burning sage isn't an "open" flame.
The sage smokes, and you wave the smoke with a feather to smudge the interior of the closet with the smoke. There shouldn't be burning embers flying off, and you usually have a receptacle to hold the sage as you wave the feather. While there is some danger, handled properly, it would be slight.
We Native American's burn sage (smudging) a lot as a way to cleanse and purify our homes and ourselves. I try not to discuss our Native American traditions because invariably I will get the "that is nothing but heathen superstitious baloney" response.

It is NOT burning stuff in a closet full of clothes. My god, educate yourself before posting.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:53 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I don't know what walks the hallway and up and down the stairs, or what pulled the towel off of the towel bar attached to to shower door scaring the heck out of me when we first moved in. I can hear the noises but I can't see what is causing them. I've lived here for over 25 years now and with each passing year the activity is more and more benign. I was terribly frightened of this house for many years when we first moved in, but now, I love it and nothing is going to scare me into leaving. Maybe you could try to coexist? It may just go away on it's own.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:01 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
There really ARE things that do defy explanation and there really ARE things that can be explained.

We lived in a standard suburban tract home built in the early 1970s. In that era there was a move in the home building industry to use wall studs and floor joists made of aluminum. Our home had both; I saw them as I made various wallboard repairs. It was a 2-story colonial style home. Often times I'd hear what sounded like footsteps walking the length of the upstairs hallway, but it didn't spook me, it just made me curious to solve the mystery.

What I figured out soon enough was that this sound came on a regular basis, around the time of daily sunrise or sunset. Houses often make cracking, snapping or bumping noises as temperatures rise and fall, inside and outside, during the day and night.

So I figured out that as one aluminum floor joist expanded or contracted from temperature changes, it made a sound, and when contracting or expanding it would pull or push on the adjoining aluminum floor joists which soon enough would sound off. You could count on it.

Further, heating ducts ran inside the confines of the walls and floors, between the aluminum joists or studs. During heating season some of these floor joists and studs would heat up and cool off as the furnace cycled through it work and we'd hear the cracking sound of metal expanding and contracting. House sounds. All very normal stuff.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:38 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Sometimes that happens. Sometimes there are footsteps in the attic of your parents 100+ year old house. Back and forth; back and forth. It wasn't always predictable.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:06 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,515 times
The attic noises in my previous home were caused by squirrels! Larger "varmints" like a raccoon, possum, or porcupine can make a surprising amount of noise, in the same way a 10-pound cat can sometimes sound like a herd of elephants galumphing around the house.

Here's a helpful guide to strange attic noises (found by google -- I have no connection to this particular exterminator service):

Wild Animal Sounds - Noises in the Attic at Night - Hearing Scratching

Old 11-14-2016, 08:40 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,363 times
I have found that AC/DC cranked up really loud removes all spirits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal