Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 09:03 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,330,392 times

Advertisements

That is seriously creepy Christi. Please tell me you're on hallucinogenics or delusional from fever. I have to sleep tonight.

I'm kidding, but I wish I wasn't.

I've read reports of a bird with a giant wingspan that witnesses described as being otherworldly. Something about the eyes made witnesses say they didn't think it was from this world. There was even one report of a young boy who swears he was picked up by this thing and then dropped. I saw his interview on tv and he sounded really legit.

There have been many reports and sightings on Mothman throughout the years. Maybe he is real. Maybe it's a survivor from the prehistoric days, or maybe it's something from somewhere I'd be afraid to find out. But I believe you.

Oddly enough it was while I researching cattle mutilations that I read about all those sightings.

I'm glad you're feeling better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 10:55 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,141,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Maybe a California Condor? They have a 10 FOOT wingspan. That's the largest NA bird, unless you saw the Giant Claw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOj0nXpRqX8

P.S. I saw a black PANTHER in 1998 just outside of Midland, Michigan, coming out of a farmers field. He was within 100ft of me, so I know what I saw. No way a cat that large should have been loose in that area. So, perhaps you saw a condor, way out of their normal area. A 10 foot wingspan is one heck of a bird!
The Californian Condor, from what I was able to ascertain from my research actually does come very close to the in-flight profile of what I saw.

There is a subtle difference however that I can't quite put my finger on. Sonething almost "Vulture-like". The other thing that kept me from considering "Condor" was the fact that Condors are not thought to be nocturnal. I THINK only Owls are thought to be nocturnal.

I have spent countless hours pouring over Google Earth images of the top of the house from all angles & zoomed in to the highest power & everything keeps pointing at a 30ft wingspan.

I wish I could find images from 2006. The roof was replaced after the house sold in 2010. At my insistence my husband got on the roof after this happened & found Tri-puncture marks measuring 3 feet across along with deep slashes.

Oddly; tripod-like puncture holes in the ground are reported at cattle-mutilation scenes with great consistency. They also tend to measure about 3 feet across.

A bird's talon that measures 3ft across would indeed have to belong to a very large bird.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
That is seriously creepy Christi. Please tell me you're on hallucinogenics or delusional from fever. I have to sleep tonight.

I'm kidding, but I wish I wasn't.

I've read reports of a bird with a giant wingspan that witnesses described as being otherworldly. Something about the eyes made witnesses say they didn't think it was from this world. There was even one report of a young boy who swears he was picked up by this thing and then dropped. I saw his interview on tv and he sounded really legit.

There have been many reports and sightings on Mothman throughout the years. Maybe he is real. Maybe it's a survivor from the prehistoric days, or maybe it's something from somewhere I'd be afraid to find out. But I believe you.

Oddly enough it was while I researching cattle mutilations that I read about all those sightings.

I'm glad you're feeling better.
Well; I WAS feverish when I opened this thread but not the night it happened!

I too; saw the report from the two little boys that saw what I saw. I believe it happened in the 70's & in Illinois?

I'm so glad you believe me!

The reason I didn't speak about it for a year is that after the first day I went into a self-protective denial. I had told my husband (because I wanted him to get on the roof to see if there was indeed damage; and there was). The only other people I told were my friend who had her BF with her at the time.

I went about it the wrong way; she said I was acting wierd & she wanted to know what was wrong. I didn't have the words even to process what I saw. So; I said "I think I saw a Pterodactyl"...

... At which point her BF almost fell out of his chair with laughter ...NOT something I wanted to repeat.

My kids know. My girls are teenagers now but grew up seeing my nose stuick in research of dead cows draped over power lines, Vultures, Owls, Raptors of all kinds & then Cryptozoologist sites & even Law Enforcement sites. I have hundreds of files on this stuff saved to my computer.

But if I even so much as say "The Bird" ... I get the eye-rolling & the exasperated ... "MOM ...!"

By the time the Cryptozoologist from the UK I had contacted had said the word ... "Thunderbird" ...I already just knew (based on the air force that popped my eardrums & knocked me backwards).

" ... In Plains tribes, the Thunderbird is sometimes known as Wakinyan, from the Dakota word kinyan
meaning "winged." Others suggest the word links the Thunderbird to wakan, or sacred power.
In many stories, the Thunderbird is thought of as a great Eagle, who produces thunder from the
beating of his wings and flashes lightning from his eyes..."

I will tell you one thing for sure; that every night for the last 10 years since I saw "him" I always look up first before stepping out of a door way.

Thanks for listening!

Old 11-16-2016, 01:00 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,285,827 times
Maybe it was Q.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bjsag2vYlQ

Old 11-16-2016, 04:28 PM

33,006 posts, read 36,553,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post

I think this is how or why the legend of the Jersey Devil has been perpetuated. I believe there was something frightening people.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I think this is how or why the legend of the Jersey Devil has been perpetuated. I believe there was something frightening people.
Yes; I think there may be a link between what I saw & the Jersey Devil/Mothman. I'm not sure about other eye-witness accounts but what I saw was literally only 15 feet overhead & for sure a bird.

For example; I have described what I saw as being very close in profile to a Vulture. Here are silhouette comparisons between a Turkey Vulture & Mothman depiction:
Click image for larger version

Name:	vmot.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	177485

Since I was directly underneath "The Bird" I was not able to see it's eyes. My explanation for accounts of "glowing" eyes is actually rather boring.

It is, I think a natural occurance of Nocturnal birds known as Tapetum Lucidum ... AKA: Eyeshine. Here are some examples of eyeshine in"normal sized" Nocturnal birds:
Click image for larger version

Name:	bes.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	177486

Since Mothman reports account for it being over 7 ft tall in a "perched" position & what I saw had a 30ft wingspan; you can imagine what eyeshine in an animal that big may look like.

That is also my current theory on why there are reports of yellow/red orbs in the sky at the scenes of the cattle mutilations. So far, Tapetum Lucidum/Eyeshine eyeshine is the best I can do.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:18 AM

7,003 posts, read 6,928,287 times
I think all this type of stuff will be explained one day, but I think it needs some serious research done to pin it down to areas.

Occasionally I have thought to do a website wich allows people to report and pinpoint their experiences so they can be tracked back and forth across the country but I am sure there must be something like this out there - although I have not searched for it. Maybe if there is, then people will have reported other sightings which can lead us to a migration pattern of sorts? Maybe even an area which is used for territory or hunting area.

At that size though, it can easily pick up humans and carry them off.

I still think there are 'portals' which lead to other possible parallel dimensions like ours where these and other cryptids can come through into our world. There are so many reports of all inds of weird stuff that it would explain why they are not seen very often and why there are some reports of footprints going nowhere - just stopping and disappearing.

If you document each occurrance, there may be a pattern.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:24 AM

1,180 posts, read 782,649 times
THE MYSTERY OF THE JERSEY DEVIL!

And then, there is this site: The Jersey Devil: The Real Story - CSI

Comparing the two satisfies my need to be an adult, as I see sometimes just how weak the skeptics attempt at explanation is, as I do feel that there are some unexplained and POSSIBLY fearsome (*DO they harm humans, or are they just fearsome and majestic and therefore scary?) beasts and creatures... Out there.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:07 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,505,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
The Californian Condor, from what I was able to ascertain from my research actually does come very close to the in-flight profile of what I saw.

There is a subtle difference however that I can't quite put my finger on. Sonething almost "Vulture-like". The other thing that kept me from considering "Condor" was the fact that Condors are not thought to be nocturnal. I THINK only Owls are thought to be nocturnal.

I have spent countless hours pouring over Google Earth images of the top of the house from all angles & zoomed in to the highest power & everything keeps pointing at a 30ft wingspan.

I wish I could find images from 2006. The roof was replaced after the house sold in 2010. At my insistence my husband got on the roof after this happened & found Tri-puncture marks measuring 3 feet across along with deep slashes.

Oddly; tripod-like puncture holes in the ground are reported at cattle-mutilation scenes with great consistency. They also tend to measure about 3 feet across.

A bird's talon that measures 3ft across would indeed have to belong to a very large bird.
Did your husband take any pictures?

Old 11-17-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Did your husband take any pictures?
Good question. He didn't but there were pictures taken by a House Inspector. I wish I had them in my possession!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal