Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 06:32 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,954,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
...The house was "noisy". As in odd scratches, creaks & groans that I had always dismissed as "settling". But at night; the kids hated it. Even the older teenage + boys had "issues" but they would not admit to being "scared". ... He described (both then & we talked about it last night) seeing a large dark shape with a hunched shoulder/back area. It "dropped" a shoulder to reveal what he said was a horrible face; almost like skin stretched over a skeleton with huge black eyes. ... I now know that she saw a face in the bedroom (2nd story) window that she said "floated" past. She described it as having a "bony monkey face with huge black eyes."
I hate to say it, but what you're describing sounds more like the demonic than like something biological. And the face your kids describe doesn't sound like a bird or a pterodactyl to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 06:53 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,645,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Looks more like a fox than a wolf, which is more reasonable. That's a magpie in the front.
It does kind of look like a fox. There are several different websites that show the exact same photo, some showing additional views of the attack. Click on the first image (in the link) and you'll find several different views of the fight. One photo does show it to resemble a fox, even though it's described as a wolf. The magpie doesn't give any real sense of scale as it's much closer to the camera.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sibe...tacking+a+wolf

From what I can find, in the way of information, Golden Eagles are found in Eurasia and North America. Wing span can generally be anywhere from 5 ft 11 in to 7 ft 8 in. A wild female has been as large as 8 ft 4 in, and a captive female as large as 9 ft 3 in. These can be very large birds. The description of the one in the photo was said to have been released by its owner. Wing span of a Siberian Golden Eagle male is an average of about 25 in, and the female averages about 27 in. The Asian Golden Eagle (also called the Himalayan Golden Eagle) is a big one, although its natural habitat is much farther south than Siberia. However, it's entirely possible someone may have brought one to the north, there could be breeders in the north who sell or trade them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_eagle

The canine in the photo is said to be a Siberian Wolf. That doesn't tell you much since there are several types of wolves in Siberia. It could be a Tundra Wolf or a Grey Wolf. The Tundra Wolf can be 41 in to 64 in long. It doesn't look like a Tundra wolf though. For one thing, the Tundra Wolf tends to have longer fur.

The Grey Wolf is the most common wolf, and has been known to attack and kill people (mostly children) and livestock. The length of the Grey Wolf is about 41 in to 63 in.
Siberian Wolf Facts | Animals - mom.me
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_wolf

Old 11-30-2016, 08:09 AM

4,192 posts, read 3,412,275 times
No disrespect to anyone, but I don't believe any of those photos were related, or decipting an actual event. Nor do I think an eagle can lift 80 pounds of anything.

There are amazing discoveries yet to be made, but physics is still physics.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:37 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,121,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I hate to say it, but what you're describing sounds more like the demonic than like something biological. And the face your kids describe doesn't sound like a bird or a pterodactyl to me.
The eyewitness accounts from the Texas, 1976 sighting described exactly what my kids saw & he came face to face with it.

His account is in an attachment in an earlier post of mine (this same thread) titled "Horrible faced Bird".

What actually caught my eye about that particular incident is not the visual description that matches my kids.

More so; it was his auditory description that matched with mine.

Every other eyewitness account except his involved people driving in cars. He was the only other person I've found besides me that was 15 ft away from it & could hear how it sounded.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:55 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,558,682 times
Quote:
Well; I've just spent a multitude of hours indulging my Hyperlexia on NewspaperArchives.com & I THINK I've got at least a direction to go in!

Here we go:

Thoughts?

Excellent thread, cos. My tribe knew of the Garden of the Gods area you spoke of, and my tribe believed in a Thunderbird.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I think I read/heard that there are mutillations outside the cattle species like horses, and other domestic animals.

The idea that they are dropped from above comes from the fact that there are not often any tracks around the bodies of mutillated cattle. It is one of the strange things on which most people remark. Farmers are used to animal kills or predator/scavengers visiting a dead animal to eat it but in these cases of mutillations, there seems to be something which deters these scavengers from eating the dead cow for some time after it has died.

Some people have seen black helicopters around the time of the mutillations which may account for other suggestions that the cattle are lowered or dropped from a craft of some kind. Also, there are also reports of cattle and humans being raised by some kind of 'tractor-beam' into UFOs.
Cattle, horses, deer, goats & sheep & unfortunately there have been a few humans reported also.

The few human cases that are being considered as linked involved men working as laborers on ranches & were outdoors in isolated areas after dark.

In 1975 in Greeley, CO a Porcupine was found mutilated (ouch?).

My guess based on what I've learned so far about nocturnal predators/raptors & adaptational TapetumLucidum (eyeshine) is that this "Bird" may not be able to see well enough with the artificial lights of a metro area to actually be able to hunt.

My thought regarding the avoidance of mutilated carcasses by other scavengers has to do with the possibility that this is a Hematophagic animal. Typical of Hematophagic animals it would contaminate the carcass with natural chemicals including anticoagulants that may be detected by the other animals. People present at scene investigations have reported an odd smell & say that touching the carcass without gloves can burn the skin.

I feel like the helicopters are arriving "after the fact". If radar can detect a paratrooper in the sky; it can detect an animal the size of what I saw. I think they are just tracking a "blip" that leads them to the scene but then falls off the radar once descending to a certain altitude.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:03 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,645,880 times
Quote:
Cattle, horses, deer, goats & sheep & unfortunately there have been a few humans reported also.

The few human cases that are being considered as linked involved men working as laborers on ranches & were outdoors in isolated areas after dark.

In 1975 in Greeley, CO a Porcupine was found mutilated (ouch?).
I would agree with you to a point, but one has to be careful in making a connection or link to some kind of intentional mutilation by some kind of unknown creature. When "unknowns" are introduced, the whole thing potentially becomes little more than speculation. The thing is that many of the mutilations you've pointed out above, are more likely to be the result of natural causes such as insects, and known predators and scavengers. Those can't be ruled out, especially since some experiments have been done which show the same results by identifiable creatures. Another problem is the use of the word mutilation. While that may be true, in a more popular sense, the use of the word "mutilation" seems to be meant as an intentional act.

If I may jump back a few posts, where you posted 3 photos. One was called "Cow in Tree". The cow was on the ground laying next to a sapling. Not exactly IN a tree. Unless the circumstances are actually known about that cow, there are natural events that could be responsible, such as floods or tornadoes, which can and do sometimes deposit the remains of livestock in odd locations, like next to saplings or high up on the branches of larger trees. Predators like mountain lions can also do that, especially with deer, goats and sheep. I don't know if a mountain lion could haul an intact carcass of a horse or cattle up a tree (that's a lot of weight), but they could carry up a portion of such larger livestock with hide still attached.

The other 2 photos in that post show animals (some dead. some not) up on wooden electrical poles and wires. In one of my previous posts, I included some videos and other links giving reasons how those animals got up there. Unusual? Sure. But sometimes things like that can and do happen.

Quote:
My guess based on what I've learned so far about nocturnal predators/raptors & adaptational TapetumLucidum (eyeshine) is that this "Bird" may not be able to see well enough with the artificial lights of a metro area to actually be able to hunt.

My thought regarding the avoidance of mutilated carcasses by other scavengers has to do with the possibility that this is a Hematophagic animal. Typical of Hematophagic animals it would contaminate the carcass with natural chemicals including anticoagulants that may be detected by the other animals. People present at scene investigations have reported an odd smell & say that touching the carcass without gloves can burn the skin.
I think it isn't unusual for nocturnal predators and some raptors (owls) to avoid areas that are well lit by busy streets and buildings. On the other hand, such animals are more likely to be found in suburban and rural areas.

About carcasses that have been contaminated by natural chemicals, vultures tend to spray out a highly acidic urine that is very corrosive. The liquid mess usually drips down and covers the bird's legs protecting them from infection (of all things). If the spray contaminates the carcass, I suppose other animals could smell the fumes and end up avoiding the carcass.

Quote:
I feel like the helicopters are arriving "after the fact". If radar can detect a paratrooper in the sky; it can detect an animal the size of what I saw. I think they are just tracking a "blip" that leads them to the scene but then falls off the radar once descending to a certain altitude.
About helicopters arriving after the fact, that sounds rather sketchy to me. With the scenario you mention, I agree that if something large and unusual were to appear on radar, aircraft might well be sent out to look for the "intruder" or an extremely large-sized flying animal.

However, the problem is what kind of large flying animal? Assuming that your estimation of how large this animal was, I would think it would already be a known animal rather than an unknown animal. There would have to be a sizable population of these animals in order to breed. If the population is too small, they'd become extinct. A lot of people would have either seen these things or seen clear signs of them. Your estimation suggests that the wingspan of this creature is about the size of a small private airplane. A creature that large would not likely be able to remain undetected and unknown. In addition, these large creatures would have to be killing off a LOT of animals in order to feed itself and feed it's offspring.

While there are forested areas that can hide things from view, an animal as large as you describe would have a hard time flying around beneath a forest canopy of trees. If it's a breeding creature, then it's probably going to have a sizable nest somewhere that is not covered by trees. If it nests in rocky areas, it'd be more exposed and detectable.

So, you're not the only person who saw the creature on the roof of your house? Your husband also saw it? And some of your kids saw it? Why would your husband laugh it off as you mentioned earlier? And why would your kids feel embarrassed around their friends whenever you talk about it?

If the creature made a noise as loud as you've indicated, wouldn't some of your neighbors have heard the noise? What do they have to say about it?

Old 11-30-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Thank you for the link! I did watch it & then I looked it up & read about it. These are my thoughts:

I DO believe that some of the cattle counted as "Mutilations" could be attributed to Blowfly infestation.

I would also mention, however, that a Blowfly infestation in Arkansas (average humidity: 70, mean elevation: 600ft) in August ... will present in a much different manner than in Colorado (average humidity: 49, mean elevation: 6,800ft) in November.

During the 1975 "peak" in CM cases for Colorado; the Colorado Dept. of Agriculture stated a guidline for expected herd "loss" from natural causes as about 1%.

At that time the cattle population was approx. 3.7 Million & Ranchers would see about 37,000 cattle die from natural causes.

Ranchers have a good idea of what a normal dead cow vs not normal dead cow looks like.

In September, 1975, 128 cattle had been discovered that had NOT died first of natural causes leading to decomposition. Six of those were later determined to have resulted from animal predation.

Findings that would not be attributed to Blowfly would include the presence of anticoagulants, broken bones & ground disturbance such as flattened areas & dragging marks.

There was also a standoff of sorts that developed in between the Ranchers, the county Sheriffs that usually sided with them & the CSU labs that were doing the autopsies. By 1976 many of the Ranchers were refusing to send their animals to them; deeming it as "useless" because they were insulted by the statements from CSU that they "didn't know the difference".

Honestly I kind of doubt that Colorado (especially in my area) will see an increase in CM's any time soon due to the 2 large Waldo Canyon & Black Forest Fires in 2012 & 2013.

The burn scar of the Waldo Canyon Fire is massive & the reforestation expectations have met with a delay in that we did not have the burned tree-fall yet as expected (predicted to occur 4 years post fire).

For now hundreds of deer & even a herd of Bighorn Sheep are without the cover of the tree-canopy that would protect them from being hunted from above.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:57 PM

6,965 posts, read 6,897,471 times
Night Bazaar
Quote:
The thing is that many of the mutilations you've pointed out above, are more likely to be the result of natural causes such as insects, and known predators and scavengers. Those can't be ruled out, especially since some experiments have been done which show the same results by identifiable creatures. Another problem is the use of the word mutilation. While that may be true, in a more popular sense, the use of the word "mutilation" seems to be meant as an intentional act.
I think it IS an intentional act. Predators and scavengers and more particularly insects, do not leave dead bodies in this condition - as far as I know. Do you have any examples of this, as I am sure it would greatly help the discussion?

Quote:
About helicopters arriving after the fact, that sounds rather sketchy to me. With the scenario you mention, I agree that if something large and unusual were to appear on radar, aircraft might well be sent out to look for the "intruder" or an extremely large-sized flying animal.
Helicopters have been reported in quite a few instances but they are often silent ones which suggest they are either black ops or something unusual. Or...it might be a deception method to make something look like something else. Abductees have reported owls in their bedrooms which of course is impossible, but it is thought that the aliens might be using some kind of mind control to enable abduction of victims. That would not be technologically impossible for a race which is thousands of years more advanced than us.

coschristi
Quote:
I DO believe that some of the cattle counted as "Mutilations" could be attributed to Blowfly infestation. I would also mention, however, that a Blowfly infestation in Arkansas (average humidity: 70, mean elevation: 600ft) in August ... will present in a much different manner than in Colorado (average humidity: 49, mean elevation: 6,800ft) in November.
I dont see how a load of maggots munching their way through a meat meal would stick to straight lines or nice curved lines around the outside of the wounds. They also dont work that quickly whatever the humidiy etc. These mutilation have been found within hours of death and there are no maggots in the excised areas. C'mon, blowflies and their lava are easily visible so there is no way this could be due to this.

Quote:
In September, 1975, 128 cattle had been discovered that had NOT died first of natural causes leading to decomposition. Six of those were later determined to have resulted from animal predation.
I assume natural causes includes disease? Of these 122 dead cattle, what were the determined causes of unnatural death?

Quote:
Ranchers have a good idea of what a normal dead cow vs not normal dead cow looks like.
I agree. When your family have been ranchers for generations (not just years), it is highly likely they would know the difference and it is insulting to tell them a predator killed the cow when it is obviously not that. It does make me wonder why the labs would say these kind of things though?

Old 11-30-2016, 11:38 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,447,944 times
This is, by far, the MOST interesting thread I have ever read on C-D. I have to remember to come to the Unexplained forum more often!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal