Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 08:20 PM

919 posts, read 609,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Thank You! A thousand times, thank you! For using the proper term and not saying "empath"...
I am so frustrated with the amount of use the word 'empath' gets and how easily people throw it around, as well as the hypersensitive people who claim empath when they are really just 'offended' by something.
(My little rant) Yes that's a picture of a tortured animal, yes it is very disturbing, especially if you are a compassionate person and an animal lover. However, that picture is over 20 years old, the animal is long gone, you are not feeling it's suffering on an energetic level anymore... You are simply feeling your own emotions about the situation. Yes, you are having a 'case of' deep empathy. That does not make you 'empathic'.
Before empath was being used, the laymans term (more acceptable in my book) was 'gut feeling'. But even that got mixed up to include claircognizance.

I point my finger at Hollywood. So much, from the onset of TV, has been dictated and consumed into our lives based on fiction and what is simply entertainment. 'Empath' was never a thing until the TV show Charmed came along. Yes, it's great, there are those people who can finally identify what they are experiencing. Yes, this has raised awareness about clairsentient abilities... But for me, I have a hard time taking people seriously 100% when they cannot use the proper terms.
Yes, I will admit, I am a bit of a word snob, but it's one of my filtering devices.
But, I know that I am not all that wrong in my stance. Not one single expert (that I have come across) on the subject will say 'empath'. They all use all the 'Clair' words.
Sorry, only just read your comments.
Agree entirely with your thoughts on the use of the word 'empath'. (And you're very welcome, lol)

I'm also comfortable with the word 'sensitive'. A persons depth of sensitivity can be clearly seen on the palm of the hand (Horizontal lines on Mount of Venus)

When I went through my spiritual awakening, not only did I need to learn how to interpret what I was sensing, but also how to distinguish & separate what I was feeling personally.
Some say this needs to be done by 'centering oneself'. Another inaccurate term, as it's suggesting that it's possible to simply stop feeling what one's feeling.

Many years ago when I was first learning how to read palms, I looked at the palm of a detective whose lines indicated that he was a person who was not only extremely intuitive, but one who had learned to listen to his intuition.
He laughed when I made the mistake of describing him as 'quite psychic'. So I asked him, while his colleagues might need several pieces of evidence before they focused on a suspect, he only needed one or two clues & was usually spot on. He agreed so I said; 'You probably call it a gut-feeling. Psychic, intuition, gut-feeling, it's all the same thing regardless what you call it.' The look of realisation on his face was priceless.

It taught me not only to choose the correct words but also to use the right terminology that the recipient can relate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 11:35 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
I also use the word sensitive. That's a word that cannot be misrepresented.
Love that story... Funny how much people can 'reject' their own ability due to a name.
A mentor of mine once said, "same thing in the package, but it's the type wrapping paper that makes it acceptable".
Now he was not talking about psychic ability specifically, but I find this analogy applies to a lot of things (like religion)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal