Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 08:26 AM

14,990 posts, read 23,799,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilamai View Post
LOL no, The Egyptians Pyramids were built with sold stone and cut with laser accuracy.

We today cannot do it. Making a poor copy with drywall and plexiglass isn't really making it. The Egyptians pyraminds is still standing after Thousands of years.
LOL, yes. "Laser accuracy"...what does that even mean? It's a meaningless term. Lasers are used to etch, not cut, stone. Anyways for the pyramids only the outside case stones were matched with precise accuracy and that was well within the capabilities and tools they had.

I am not going to repeat what I and others have wrote in this thread but read further...start off with my thread on "pyramidiots".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayhindu View Post
Did you know India invented the toilet and sewage system?
No doubt with the assistance of E.T.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:22 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,912,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
LOL, yes. "Laser accuracy"...what does that even mean? It's a meaningless term. Lasers are used to etch, not cut, stone. Anyways for the pyramids only the outside case stones were matched with precise accuracy and that was well within the capabilities and tools they had.
I suspect the poster read this somewhere and assumed it meant they were using lasers to cut the stone. When "laser accuracy" is used in this context it usually means the use of lasers as a measuring tool, not for cutting something. Here's an example:

Construction Laser Levels Explained - EngineerSupply

I'm still waiting to hear the source for the claim that we can't duplicate what they did back then -- there are many sites that provide examples of the techniques that may have been used to cut the stone. Of special interest here is the Unfinished Obelisk, which was abandoned when it developed cracks. This site discusses the techniques that were likely used:

NOVA Online | Secrets of Lost Empires | Pharaoh's Obelisk | Cutting Granite with Sand

The builders of these Egyptian buildings and obelisks were not being paid on an hourly basis, and if you throw a whole lot of people at a task for a long period of time and pay them a daily wage, you can get amazing things done -- without supposed lost advanced tech.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:09 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,007,519 times
Quote:

I am not going to repeat what I and others have wrote in this thread but read further...start off with my thread on "pyramidiots".

Yes, only the edges, the middle is just a pile of stones)))

Old 02-19-2017, 06:34 PM

6,908 posts, read 6,819,931 times
Vasily -
Quote:
I'm still waiting to hear the source for the claim that we can't duplicate what they did back then
and I am still waiting to hear how all these other sites - NOT the Egyptian pyramids were built with huge stone multi-ton blocks and which also fit together without mortar and sometimes have large rectangular holes in them. These sites are often half-way up a mountain.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Vasily - and I am still waiting to hear how all these other sites - NOT the Egyptian pyramids were built with huge stone multi-ton blocks and which also fit together without mortar and sometimes have large rectangular holes in them. These sites are often half-way up a mountain.
The Egyptians did use mortar on the pyramids...and obviously had access to ledges and ramps to work at height.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Vasily - and I am still waiting to hear how all these other sites - NOT the Egyptian pyramids were built with huge stone multi-ton blocks and which also fit together without mortar and sometimes have large rectangular holes in them. These sites are often half-way up a mountain.
The Egyptians did use mortar on the pyramids...and obviously had access to ledges and ramps to work at height.

This is what I am trying to say, so much of the mystery of the pyramids is based on misinformation.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:27 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,007,519 times
Quote:

This is what I am trying to say, so much of the mystery of the pyramids is based on misinformation.

Course used in Egypt set of pyramids made of thermally treated brick, by the way later than those of which we are conducting discussions.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:18 AM

22,865 posts, read 28,131,911 times
Quote:
Human beings are smart. We have been for about 20,000 years or more. Really, really smart. Get a bunch of smart people together and motivate them and you can do some amazing things.

I have absolutely no idea who Beethoven wrote the 9th Symphony when he was deaf. To me, that seems miraculous. A guy who can't hear composes one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever. It boggles my mind. But he did. And you don't need aliens to explain it. Beethoven was a genius, and there have been lots like him over the centuries.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
Course used in Egypt set of pyramids made of thermally treated brick, by the way later than those of which we are conducting discussions.
If I understand you correctly (are you using translation software to English from another language? Nothing wrong with that but sometimes your responses are hard to understand) - I've read the theory that some, not all because we can obviously see evidence that these blocks were quarryed, were cast and molded like bricks.

Hey who knows? Maybe. There are still some construction details we don't know. Getting back to the cutting of the blocks: there are various theories - copper and bronze saws, imported iron saws, using sand as a lubricant and cutting surface, using moistened wood and waiting for it to expand...or maybe a combination of all these methods. We only know it was absolutely entirely feasible given the tools, the intelligence, and the ingenuity of ancient man.
They left lots of clues on how they were constructed - diagrams and engravings, ancient version of "gantt charts", and some tools. But we are still talking 5,000 years ago. That unfinished obolesk mentioned before gave us lots of clues.

We mentioned mortar before - the pyramids did use mortar but that may be an example of a mix that is lost to time. Mortar was used to carbon date the pyramids but modern man doesn't know exactly how the mortar was formed - what proportion of mud to sand, etc. Obviously an amazing substance because it's lasted 5,000 years (although the dry environment of the Sahara helps).

A fascinating topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Plus they got plenty of bread and beer -- and if they were supervisors, they got a LOT of beer!

BBC - History - Ancient History in depth: The Private Lives of the Pyramid-builders

Regarding hunter-gatherers, "...The life of the typical hunter-gatherer looks a lot like your life and mine when we are on vacation at a camp with friends..." Source:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...s-work-is-play
Yup. Beer was a huge part of Ancient Egypt. On that topic - Different ancient egyptian groups were dedicated to certain areas of the pyramids during construction. The builders of the pyramids would put graffiti indicating their group name, basically like those signs you see on the highway saying "AAA club of Vermont maintains this road", and engrave these on the walls. In one sections there is a sign that was translated to say "The Drunks of Menkarie"...built that section.

Is there anything beer cannot do?

Last edited by Dd714; 02-20-2017 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal