Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 11:46 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27
Or they don't want to be found...
Thats MORE than possible also!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 02:24 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
If you read the Missing 411 books, each chapter does the dates and ages of the missing listed there.

I think the strangest stories in those books would be the ones where people, especially kids,
were going from Point A to Point B just a hundred yards away and both in plain sight. They still disappeared on the way and were never found.

Especially kids.....unfortunately kids are too trusting of those they're closest; family not the big bad wolf.

You might remember a high profile Australian case of "the the dingo ate the baby" , a couples baby disappeared during a hiking and camping trip; took some 20 long yrs for authorities to let the couple off the hook for murder and disposal of the child. One of the rarer cases.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:38 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Especially kids.....unfortunately kids are too trusting of those they're closest; family not the big bad wolf.

You might remember a high profile Australian case of "the the dingo ate the baby" , a couples baby disappeared during a hiking and camping trip; took some 20 long yrs for authorities to let the couple off the hook for murder and disposal of the child. One of the rarer cases.
That's because they finally found PROOF (the baby's clothing by a dingo den) that a dingo did in fact eat the baby. Too bad for the mother, who spent 3 years in prison for nothing.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:58 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I disagree with this statement. This may be true for someone who is an inexperienced city dweller, but for some of us, going off alone in the wilderness is the only way to truly feel alive. Same reason people go skydiving, rock climbing, BASE jumping, drag racing, insert adrenaline producing activity here, etc. Sometimes only a true wilderness area will do and a backyard just won't cut it. If you're prepared and have experience it's not "simply stupid".

There's a book about deaths and disappearances in Grand Canyon national park. It's a pretty interesting read. Some guy had his wife back up to a ledge for a photo op and then pushed her and tried to make it look accidental. His first wife also died of a mysterious fall years early so they got him. Another guy waited 3 days for a front seat for a helicopter tour, did the tour, and on the way back opened up the door, said goodbye, and jumped into the canyon. The rangers were picking up scattered body parts every where. I think more than a few disappearances are suicide by wilderness. Many just died of dehydration, falls, or exposure after getting lost. Maybe a few sinister murders as well, but I'd say 99%+ of them are caused from one of the above. More than a few are also caused by people trying to get a photo. When I lived in western Colorado at the national monument, some young kid wanted his photo taken at an overlook. He hopped the fence, a big wind gust made him lose his footing and he fell hundreds of feet to his death.

I live in Alaska. There's lots of people who simply disappear, never to be found again. If you die out there, it would be pretty easy to never find you. I also like reading the stories of mountain climbers who fall to their deaths (even though it's extremely sad). They know exactly where the bodies are, but it's impractical/impossible/dangerous to retrieve the body so it's forever on the mountain. Everest is littered with bodies. There's at least 44 bodies on Denali that won't/can't be recovered and will be there forever. https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/arti...ry/2012/06/19/

I believe mount Rainer as well has a few bodies on it as well that they can't recover due to safety issues. 3 bodies found on Mount Rainier where hikers disappeared
^ Good post, and it made me think about George Mallory and Andrew Irvine. Disappeared climbing Everest in 1924. Their bodies weren't found until 1999. I remember the picture when they found Mallory. You could still see the skin on his exposed leg, because he was frozen.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:36 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Prime Minister of Australia disappeared one morning swimming in the ocean and was never found.

Imagine if that happened here to some high profile political type because they don't always have a security detail with them. Conspiracy to the nth degree.

They've had swimmers\divers etc disappear in front of their friends eyes to a great white...never found a scrap of them but several witnesses saw the shark attack them and then drag them out of sight into deeper water.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:48 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
I have been listening to Paulides interviews on YT (coast to coast) and it is pretty scary. And I thought ticks were a good enough reason to stay on roads and off trails!!

These are not just missing persons cases. The scent dogs often pick up NO trail. Or the body is found in a place that was previously searched. A LOT of strange things besides these.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:12 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Rock climbers!

Old 12-25-2017, 11:30 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
This does not mean it is supernatural or alien related.
Right, Id say a very small percentage are abducted by aliens, why would aliens need to restrict abducting people to national parks or very rural areas in the first place? They could abduct someone from times square on news years eve without anyone realizing whats going on.

Old 12-25-2017, 02:41 PM

2,459 posts, read 2,476,905 times
Could be giant birds, possibly coming through a time portal.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:32 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
The best guess is that these people get abducted and then get returned and their bodies dumped in the area AFTER a search is organized. So who abducts them? I'd lean to a government allowed or sponsored abduction ring where lone hikers or children are approached by someone posing as a park ranger or federal employee and then drugged. At any rate the feds cover up and hinder investigations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal