U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2017, 02:38 AM

98 posts, read 47,467 times

Advertisements

Oftentimes, when dealing with cases, a client will have an active case. Then, right before we come in, the activity stops. For the sake of terminology, we usually say that the activity is dormant, especially in a situation where, as far as we know, no resolution was enacted. This could mean a few different things. It could mean that the activity was temporary and it left, the activity stopped in anticipation of a paranormal investigation team coming in, or the client is waiting for the premises to be active again before bringing a team in. Why the latter? Fear of lack of validation. If we come into a home and nothing happens, as a team, unless we’re able to debunk a situation, we will say that we didn’t have any experiences in the home. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t something going on. It just means that for that moment, there was no activity.

When Ghosts Go Dormant – Association of Paranormal Study
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 02:43 AM

29,126 posts, read 28,155,662 times
And so it goes. Why are they there, and why do they retreat? Damn if I know.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:22 AM

4,522 posts, read 4,013,281 times
There is a lot of emotionally charged people focusing on the environment. You guys want there to be something to investigate, the property owner probably has mixed feelings - on one hand they need validation that 'something' is going on, but on the other hand, they probably dont want it there.

The property owner knows they have asked you in, so that information is in their energy fields. Anything which can interact with them can probably read their energy fields, so it should not be any surprise that things go quiet. Maybe the ghosties dont want to be discovered or bothered or investigated.

Yes, it's exciting, but these are other beings (both human and non-human) we are dealing with and we must not forget to treat them with respect. They are just being who they are and if we see that as 'evil' then it may be that we need to modify our opinions.

If we ever get to meet some aliens in the future who may be inter-dimensional beings like "ghosties"., I suspect they will be totally different to us, even more different than other Earth cultures and creatures. They will have different possibly frightening looks, different morals, different beliefs, and different education and it will be a HUGE shift for us to adapt.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:31 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,605,004 times
Who are these people? They are just self proclaimed experts.

Reading the about section is just gibberish. Reading the bios is does not evoke confidence.

From one of the bios:

"College graduate with a Master’s degree, but an author, actress, dramatist, playwright,"

Red flags fly up when someone mentions they have a masters degree and do not mention in what and from where.

Then we get the money shot of:

Author - No mention of what.
Actress - What an actress wants to find a way on TV? No freaking way! This is a paranormal mystery.
Dramatist - I do not even know what this is but it seems like it would be important in faking paranormal experiences.
Playwright - Again, no citations.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:55 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,218,466 times
Maybe it's the ghost of Schrödinger's Cat being affected by the Uncertainty Principle; it's in a state of both haunting and not haunting and the effect of observing it alters its state.

Last edited by RP2C; 03-26-2017 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: "Spelling"

Old 03-29-2017, 08:29 AM

4 posts, read 4,015 times
I'm well aware that science has looked into paranormal. Again, they're not welcoming about it because, as you mention, nothing conclusive has been found.

I ask again, should the paranormal field only be studied and explored by those with science-related degrees?

Old 03-29-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarbs86 View Post
I'm well aware that science has looked into paranormal. Again, they're not welcoming about it because, as you mention, nothing conclusive has been found.
I would like to address this because it is dismissive.

It is not that science is unwelcoming towards this because nothing has been found. A lot of time effort and money has been put into studying the paranormal and nothing has been found. Still scientists or people using the scientific method look into it.

There is no proof that EVP's are real. It is a made up tool to look "sciencey" and add credibility where there is none.

People record millions of hours of voice daily. If ghosts or spirits were talking we could not get an album, movie or TV show out.

So I am not against ordinary people studying the paranormal but results should be concrete and repeatable if they wish for others to take it seriously.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 775 times
Let's look at dormant activity from the perspective of the ghost being investigated. You are haunting a particular location for any x,y,z reason. You know the property owners know you're there but you're happy as a clam as you are. The property owners are not so now you've got a group of unknown individuals in your space asking you to do things to let them know you're there. It can feel like you're being told to perform like a circus monkey for the entertainment of some and a science project for others. We as living beings can forget that while we may not see what is going on around us, it can be truly intelligent and we must approach this field and all of its' glorious forms with respect in our own search for answers.

With all due respect to the individual throwing out the accusation of someone having a Masters degree and if it actually exists, I ask that you contact that school directly and do your research before making accusations of fraud. Further, I implore you to do your research on individuals involved in the paranormal field as I believe that for every science based degree you locate on an investigator, you will find a much wider variety of degrees from every occupation on others. That is what makes this field phenomenal- a plethora of differences.

To address your concerns that a degree in theatre equals a drive for a TV show, let us look at those who have or have had one regarding this subject. Zak Baggins, no degree in theatre. The guys from Ghost Hunters, no degrees in theatre. The people from Paranormal State, no degrees in theatre. Paranormal Lockdown, no degrees in theatre. Shall I continue? I see a whole lot of ego mixed with jealousy in your comments but nothing concrete to back yourself up with. Evidence fraud is rampant in this field but it isn't coming from an individual with a theatre degree- it comes from that plethora of differences.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:10 PM

I would like to thank you all.

If it were not for you I would not have found this little gem:

Do Scientists Fear the Paranormal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal