Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:44 PM

275 posts, read 773,407 times

Advertisements

I want to know if I am alone feeling this way - I sometimes feel homesick for a place that I know does not exist in this life. It is a weird feeling and very hard to explain like a nagging thought in the back of my mind, uncontrollable longing or a very strong craving. Wikipidia says Germans even have a name for it: Sehnsucht - "It is sometimes felt as a longing for a far off country, but not a particular earthly land which we can identify. Furthermore there is something in the experience which suggests this far off country is very familiar and indicative of what we might otherwise call "home".

It is usually a fleeting moment of memory that I experience in certain locations/scenery. Few months ago, however, I had a strange dream. It was one of those dreams which are emotionally so powerful you have a hard time forgetting. I think everyone has them once in a while. In any case, in my dream my son, my husband and I were in a small boat in a city in my home country. We were talking about something. It was one of those regular dreams when all of a sudden scenery changed and I felt I got yanked out of this dream. I was in a hallway of an apartment in a high rise building. There was a well dressed man in the apartment and he was showing me around. The apartment was very futuristic and he was showing me how to do things. He welcomed me back home and I remember walking to window and looking outside to a big city with incredibly tall buildings. Everything was very pristine but there was also lot of greenery but all landscaped not natural growth. And I remember feeling overwhelmed with this idea that I was home. That my job in this life was over and I remembered being sent to earth for some purpose/duty and now it was done and the relief I felt. I remembered everything, why I was there, how I was made to forget my real identity and now I was back to my own life. I guess it was just a dream but my feelings of being home was so strong, I woke up crying. Months afterwards, I still remember it and it fills me with longing to go back. For those of you wondering, I am not depressed about anything, my life is pretty good. So, do you ever miss home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:25 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,985 times
Yes, I very much feel the same, although I never imagine a city and haven't had any dream like that ... at least not that I remember.

I don't feel like this is home, and I think we respond to places or things that remind us of a different home.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:40 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,912 times
I can relate to what you are saying. I can't say I feel homesick, but at times have had a longing to be in another place off planet.
I have had dreams of being on other planets as well.
The dream you describe reminds me of one dream I had. It was 'here' on earth, but....
At first, I thought I was in a tall building. I was in a rectangular room, like a break room for some office. Had a 'kitchen' area with a table, sofas and chairs. One wall was all window. When I looked out the window I realized I was not in a building, but some aircraft that was just hovering. As I was sitting on the sofa, a 'man' in a robe wearing a tribal mask sat down next to me so close we where touching. He communicated with me telapahically and I could feel him physically and energetically.
He told me that I knew what it was I had to do.
I ended up painting him in that place.

Later, when doing some reading on the Dogon tribe in Africa (they have some interesting aspects related to aliens), I saw a picture of some of the men in masks. While not exact, my dream mask had the aspects key to the Dogon masks, mainly the bright pink 'fluff' crest on top.
Gave me goosebumps.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:55 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,502 times
I am not sure if this is the same thing, but through out the past decade or so there's a couple places I dream about. It is a cross between a few places I have been in real life, and some places that don't really exist. It is also that I picture this place and I get there, but I also don't quite reach it. Beyond this place is another area that I never get to. I wish I could articulate what I mean better. My feelings I have in my dream about these places are euphoric and there are no words to describe the happiness and heaven that I feel about being there. It just doesn't feel like a dream, but in the dream it's like this place is so REAL and I want to get there so bad. And even when I wake up, it's like I know it or I've seen it before, I don't know. I just can't explain it. I think it's more like a feeling, I guess. Maybe it's not the same thing, I don't know.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:10 AM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times
In other post I have made concerning dreams, I have explained what I believe is the reason we dream, and why we dream.
Your dream is no different than those of all human beings.
When we dream, (according to my research, and now beliefs) that is the time our spirit within travels into the spirit world.
It takes leave of it's human bondage, but not fully.
Were it to disembark completely, we would be dead.
When we sleep, we dream, but do not always remember the dream(s) upon waking.
Your vivid dream is the actions and events your spirit was involved in while you slept.
Those places you recalled in the dream upon waking were places your spirit was visiting while you slept.
As humans, we are but a window to the soul within each of us.
Our dreams reflect the eternal life of the spirit.
In your dream you spoke of places you have never been in human existence, but felt you were finally home.
That place in your dream may have been a favorite spot of the spirit within you.
It too may have been in some past life experience of your spirit.
Why do we remember some dreams and not others?
My feeling is, when the spirit returns from it's journey to once again take up residence in the human existence,the speed at which it returns dictates if we remember the dream or not.
If it is a hasty return, we remember the dream because the event is still fresh within the spirit.
If it is a gradual return , most of the events are retained in the spirit, only to be recalled by the will of the spirit.
For years and years, scientist have tried to understand dreams, and why we have them.
With all their charts, and machines, they are no closer to finding answers.
I believe in the reasons I have stated here.
Bob.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:50 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
That sounds like an intense experience you had. I've never had such strong emotions about a place I visited in a dream world, but I do constantly daydream about living in either real or imagined places. I would love to live in say Rivendell in Middle Earth, it looks like paradise. And yes, these dream worlds seem so well constructed, the plots so real, that it almost seems as if your astral body or dream body/spirit leave your body into another dimension when you dream.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:34 AM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
That sounds like an intense experience you had. I've never had such strong emotions about a place I visited in a dream world, but I do constantly daydream about living in either real or imagined places. I would love to live in say Rivendell in Middle Earth, it looks like paradise. And yes, these dream worlds seem so well constructed, the plots so real, that it almost seems as if your astral body or dream body/spirit leave your body into another dimension when you dream.
Your last sentence is just as I have said in the threads having to do with dreams, including my post above.
Bob.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:02 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Your last sentence is just as I have said in the threads having to do with dreams, including my post above.
Bob.
Yes, I was echoing your statement.

It's a common belief among primitive peoples, and it's easy to see why.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Hi ladyv,
Sounded to me like you are having your everyday garden variety recollection of
the Other Side, I call Home, where we were before we came "here".
It is something to miss alright, it's our real Home...not this place, ha!

Great post, Calguy.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:59 PM

275 posts, read 773,407 times
Thank you all for your replies. I have had the feeling for a long time but this is the first time I actually dreamt about it. I usually get the feeling when I see a place where there is a lot of modern, concrete buildings mixed with green shrub/trees. I feel like I have seen this before and if I could just concentrate enough, I can remember but the memory is just out of my reach. It is the most frustrating thing in the world. I wish there was a way to know about these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal