U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 01:17 PM

14,199 posts, read 20,445,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I guess the dogs been turning lights off and on too? I posted in this forum because I believe it to be paranormal. Especially since I and all three of my children have had numerous unexplainable occurrences . This is just the last in a long list of them. My question wasn't whether it happened or doesn't. Just why it happens when my husband isn't around. But hey I'm sure the dog forum will be able to answer why my daughter sees a woman standing at the end of her bed, why my son used to have in depth conversations with my dead father when he was young among other things. Maybe I'm actually being haunted by dogs!
You mentioned only lights flickering...nothing about dogs turning lights on and off or daughter and son talking to ghosts.
Hey if you want to tackle a dog barking issue by addressing paranormal concerns be my guest, I was trying to help...

You probably don't want to hear this to - but for light flickering you need to properly screw in the light bulb, maybe it got lose, or look inside the socket, there is a tab that contacts the bulb sometimes it's depressed, you lift it up a bit (make sure unplugged) so it makes full uninterrupted contact.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 01:55 PM

18,040 posts, read 8,192,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I think the spirits know your husband is closed off to their presence, whereas the rest of you are open.
^^^^This.

My husband is also closed off when it comes to this issue. When he used to commute to work and I was home alone, I would have such experiences from time to time. Then he started working from home and that changed things.

OP---Animals can sense things that we can not. That said, just to be sure, check the light bulb and the plug for the lamp. I say this to rule out those things.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:59 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,442,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

You probably don't want to hear this to - but for light flickering you need to properly screw in the light bulb, maybe it got lose, or look inside the socket, there is a tab that contacts the bulb sometimes it's depressed, you lift it up a bit (make sure unplugged) so it makes full uninterrupted contact.
Did you lose your way to the HOUSE forum and stumble into the PARANORMAL forum by mistake?

Old 04-03-2017, 02:37 PM

14,199 posts, read 20,445,833 times
Quote:
Did you lose your way to the HOUSE forum and stumble into the PARANORMAL forum by mistake?
Ha...no but I also suggest addressing the most common causes rather than instantly grabbing onto the "it must be the paranormal" theory. It just didn't measure up - dog barking, lights flickering. Gotta be more there. Confirmation bias is always there, don't feed it, sometimes it's harmful to do so. This forum is usually good at providing non-paranormal alternative explanations.

Now if it was a bigfoot sighting I would be all for this...

Old 04-03-2017, 02:46 PM

1,749 posts, read 1,039,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Thank you for that explanation. Interesting. Although my husband is the quiet one and I'm the loud one I understand what you're saying. My son is an adult . I'm thinking it has something specific to do with my husband .

Quiet doesn't mean weak, especially if he is the strong silent type and vice versa for loud person. That was an example, such as positve vs negative. Maybe he has a strong presence/ vibes that has an effect to deter the paranormal activities. Try google yang chi and ghost for more info.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:16 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,150,769 times
Quote:
I think the spirits know your husband is closed off to their presence, whereas the rest of you are open.
I stumbled on the OP post and don't think I've been on this forum before. I'm both a left brain/right brain person. Open to the unexplained and unknown but I'm given to try to look at all possibilities for an explanation when the paranormal comes up. That being said, I've had a few (not scary) occurrences related to deceased family members. It would be easy for a total skeptic to dismiss them as might I if they didn't feel significant. In reading some about these things, they're not common but they're a lot more common than we might expect. People get messages or detect the presence of loved ones in different ways, sight, sound, smell, etc. Electrical things are one of them. Children and dogs are often said to be more sensitive to spiritual presence.

I haven't read any good explanation of why this happens to one person and not another. I have read that some people have repeated experiences like yours while, even some psychic mediums with regular contact with others' deceased loved ones, don't receive a sign or contact from their own for an extended period of time after they pass. Skeptics are less likely to experience these events (or to accept them as such). So, I think Shooting Stars offers a good possible rationale.

One experience: My younger brother dropped out after his first year of college. My dad, who wanted each of his kids to have a college education, died shortly after.

Twenty-five years later, my brother got his B.A. After the ceremony, he, his teen daughter and I returned to my mom's home. After eating, my brother, who had worked all day, fell asleep on the floor while my mom slept on a couch. My niece and I left the TV and interior lights off and talked quietly with a little light from outside as it grew dark. About how proud we were of her dad. How I wished my dad could have been with us. My niece was asking about her granddad who died before she was born. I reiterated how important education was to him and that he would have loved that his son made it through school.

It was then, in the darkened house, that an alcove light flashed slowly on and off three times and then stopped. My niece and I looked at each other puzzled. And, yes, it was very interesting given that we were talking about my dad and my bro at a time that would have been very meaningful to my father. There was
a little woo-woo feeling, a warm, positive one. (Three flashes= my brother was the third and last child of my father's to finish college.)

We went to check the light. It was one that rarely was ever used because of the inconvenient location of the switch and because it was a ceiling light over a desk with two wall lamps and one desk lamp. Was the switch loose? No. When my bro and mom woke, we told them about our little electrical heads up. We checked the bulb. It was secure. My brother and my mom found it interesting. My brother, more skeptic than not, liked the thought of his dad's spirit being present. My mom, equally skeptical by nature, couldn't dismiss it because she had a quiet, but profound, experience at my dad's viewing long ago.

Was our electrical visitation the "real deal"? I don't know. It did feel like it. You had to be there. My pragmatic, non-overreactive niece and I talked about it long after. We never had any problems with that light, phantom or otherwise. (BTW the dogs were sound asleep when it happened. )

Old 04-06-2017, 07:39 PM

68,616 posts, read 63,865,908 times
^Electrical things seem to me to be a way of communication, particularly with my brother, who was an electrician. Several people in the family, but especially his daughter, have had experiences with lights flickering on and off on days when we are thinking of him or talking about him, usually his birthday or the anniversary of his death.

I still have no other explanation for this one: My brother died in February, and the next July 6th would have been his 52nd birthday. My daughter was a teenager, and I noted to her that morning that this day was her late uncle's birthday, remembering him. We were going shopping in a local downtown where the parking is tight and there are meters. The town had just installed new meters that had an LCD numerical display, replacing the old ones where the tab pops up and says "Expired".

We found a parking space, and from the car I looked at the meter, and it was flashing. I said, "Oh look, they have a new type of meter." We got out of the car and we both went to the meter to put in quarters, and I realized that what the meter was flashing was the word Dead. It just kept flashing DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD. I said, "That's really weird--why would they have the meter flash DEAD? Maybe it doesn't work." I put in a quarter and it showed that I had 15 minutes or whatever and stopped flashing DEAD. My daughter looked at me and said, "Mommy, that's Uncle Jay. That's his sense of humor."

I believe it. I've been back to that town and those meters many times and never again have I seen a parking meter flash the word DEAD, but on the day of my brother's first birthday after his death, one of them did.

There is more. My niece recorded lights flashing in her baby daughter's bedroom in the middle of the night on a date that meant something to her and her father. He never met his granddaughter, but he apparently was there. They couldn't get the lights to turn off or stop flashing, and it went on for about ten minutes. You can hear her on the video saying, "Daddy, I like it that you come to visit, but we all need to sleep." When it stopped, her husband noticed that a teddy bear that they never put in the crib with the baby was in the crib with the baby.

I wish he was still here. I need an outdoor light fixture installed.

But really, electricity is a form of energy, and there must be some way that energy from "the other side" can tap into it.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:01 PM

3,181 posts, read 3,929,639 times
Shooting Stars hit on it, I believe. And I lived in a haunted place for 10 years and my dog would sit and watch into space, nodding her head up and down and back and forth. She was definitely seeing something and eventually I did too.
Animals can be sensitive and react to spiritual phenomena that we may not experience.
OP, what other kinds of things are happening in your house?

Old 04-08-2017, 02:06 AM

5,128 posts, read 6,442,619 times
Flickering lights are one of the easiest and most common ways for a spirit to communicate. It's easier than moving objects or showing themselves. They also know it's less scary for you.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:03 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,261,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Shooting Stars hit on it, I believe. And I lived in a haunted place for 10 years and my dog would sit and watch into space, nodding her head up and down and back and forth. She was definitely seeing something and eventually I did too.
Animals can be sensitive and react to spiritual phenomena that we may not experience.
OP, what other kinds of things are happening in your house?
Other things in this residence? On one occasion we were having a huge storm I was here with my teen daughter and her best friend who was spending the night. My boys were away with my husband. We all three were watching a movie on the first floor and we heard what sounded like someone walking upstairs. Together we checked the second floor and then the third. Of course no one was there. Fast forward to us all going to bed. The storm had really picked up. I had dozed off and was awoken by a strange noise. Then realized my ceiling fan was on (it hadn't been) I had this terrified feeling then my bedroom door knob started rattling. I talked myself out of all of that being anything. I must have turned the ceiling fan on and not remembered. The door knob wasn't really rattling it was thunder or something etc. The next morning as I'm making the girls pancakes the best friend tells me about the strangest thing that happened last night..... she claimed that my daughters four poster bed started shaking. she said her and my daughter were freaked out. They came down stairs and watched some more TV then sat at the kitchen island and had ice cream. While they were sitting there they both heard water start running and traced it to the powder room sink where the faucet was turned on and running. She said to me " I swear if I believed in stuff like that id say your house is haunted".

that night was strange all around and idk what was going on here but something certainly was. I was glad we were flying out to meet my husband and boys the following night! that is the most severe activity ive experienced here. Other stuff........Keurig turns off and on by itself (no the timer isn't set) I hear things drop on the upstairs floor all the time "thuds" I hear what I think is someone walking upstairs when no one but me and the dog are home. Lights flicker. In our master bathroom we have three different light sources controlled by a three switch light switch. once for over the sinks, once for over the tub and one is for the closet. Weve woken up multiple times and have had a light on in the bathroom. ive even been lying awake trying to fall asleep and have expereiennced a light in there suddenly coming on. My husband says I must have left it on.....really?

so that's just this location. My kids had all kinds of things happen when they were small. and we lived elsewhere. we had a really freaky thing happen after my father in law passed away as well in our first home. just too much to type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal