U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 07:25 PM

372 posts, read 456,417 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about your thoughts on this:

Have you ever been called by the same "wrong" name by other people?

Let's say your name is Mary.

But throughout your life, you've been consistently called Linda, Susan, Betty by complete strangers.

It happens to men and women--not sure about animals, lol.

What do you think this is?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 08:30 PM

4,715 posts, read 2,780,387 times
Yes, but it has to do with my last name. My last name is the same as that person, my first name starts with the same letter as that rather famous person, also last letter of my first name is the same as that person's. AND, same number of syllables. I don't worry about it as I admire that 'famous' person.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:22 AM

11,968 posts, read 4,796,600 times
I used to go to church with a lady that ALWAYS called me by the wrong name. Every time she saw me, she'd call me Pam. My name starts with a P, but it's not Pam.

I used to correct her...but then I just gave up. I was always Pam to her. So be it. LOL

Old 05-10-2017, 01:02 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,262,431 times
Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!! I've been called Pam and Beth by multiple people my whole life. All different non related people. My name doesn't even start with either initial.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:26 PM

19,464 posts, read 15,007,742 times
I always called this guy Andy....Glenn.
So I ask his wife, Is Glenn coming later? Who? Glenn...your husband.
''His name is Andy." Oh right , I keep doing that.
"Why do you call him Glen?" I dunno.

Whereby, she drew back a few inches and said, "Bec we went to Primal Scream Therapy
and he screamed out, ((((GLENNNNNN!!!!)))!"
Oh.

She is a bit scared of me now, but has huge respect....treats me nice at parties.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:27 PM

1,749 posts, read 1,040,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
I'm curious about your thoughts on this:

Have you ever been called by the same "wrong" name by other people?

Let's say your name is Mary.

But throughout your life, you've been consistently called Linda, Susan, Betty by complete strangers.

It happens to men and women--not sure about animals, lol.

What do you think this is?

That is better than having "something else" other than "people" calling you wrong names. Perhaps this is more suited for psychology or mental health forum.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:11 PM

372 posts, read 456,417 times
Thanks very much for your thoughts on this.

It's a very curious phenomenon... especially when your name doesn't begin with the letter or sound resonant of the "wrong" name called.

It's not a psychological or mental health issue, because it's a phenomenon of a different order.

Our modern day psychology with it's focus on pathology has basically eliminated the quality of soul from its perspectives.

Perhaps there are vestiges of soul reminiscent of others when those "errors" of name occur.

A mystery to ordinary reality.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:07 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,131,718 times
Usually, I've had this happen with elderly people who can't remember my name.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:26 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,271,276 times
Or when a person reminds you of someone else, and you keep calling them by that person's name instead. I've done it.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:21 PM

10,991 posts, read 12,425,231 times
In local politics I know a woman who for a long time would always call me Jim. It was easy to figure out because I was working on a lot of issues with a colleague named Jim, who also had gray hair and a beard.

He's no longer involved and now she pretty much always gets my name right.

I'm pretty sure we weren't sharing the same soul or anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal