Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 02:49 AM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times

Advertisements

I wondered if it might be a good idea to have a list of person-meets-Master kind of books. These could help those of us wishing to wake up from this world of illusion and allow us to realise the unfulfilled potential we all have within.

Of course, skeptics and scientist-types can choose not to read any of this kind of book. I know they are happier reading papers, scientific journals and finding proof for the rest of us poor deluded ones.

My three submissions are:

Illusions by Richard Bach ISBN 0 330 25355 7
Quote:
In the cloud-washed airspace between the cornfields of Illinois and blue infinity, a man puts his faith in the propeller of his biplane. For disillusioned writer and itinerant barnstormer Richard Bach, belief is as real as a full tank of gas and sparks firing in the cylinders...until he meets Donald Shimoda-former mechanic and self-described messiah who can make wrenches fly and Richard's imagination soar....
(anyone read Illusions II published 2014?)

Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach ISBN 0 330 23647 4
Quote:
Jonathan Livingston Seagull, the bird determined to be more than ordinary, to have a reason for living. This is a story for people who follow their dreams and make their own rules; it's inspired people for decades. "Most gulls don't bother to learn more than the simplest facts of flight--how to get from shore to food and back again,"
The Enlightenment by D Alan Holmes (self published and out of print)
The author has disappeared and there are no more in the book series, however the website of the artist who illustrated it is here and pops up on forums occasionally saying how he and the author were friends back in the 1980's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 03:04 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,027,721 times
This autobiography by Sri M is full of meetings with sages. His Master in this life was a direct disciple of the famous Sri Guru Babaji. Sri M spent over three years with his Master, mainly in the Himalayas. He is not an exotic looking or acting person, just a genuine force for good. He will be visiting the USA again starting in July of 2017.

Here is the first volume of this life story:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...malayan-master

Old 05-18-2017, 04:16 PM

562 posts, read 677,085 times
I have read "Illusions" by Bach several times. I was hoping it would be made into a movie someday. Jonathan Livingston was made into a movie, which I bought. "The Holy Bible", "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda, and "Living With The Himalayan Masters" by Swami Rama, are my all time fav person meets Master books.

Last edited by glenninindy; 05-18-2017 at 04:29 PM..

Old 05-18-2017, 05:25 PM

I agree that this classic by Swami Rama is another spiritual adventure, often in the Himalayas.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...alayan_Masters

Old 05-18-2017, 06:42 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Richard Bach on his website says that the Illusions book is unlikely to be made into a film although he has been trying to get this done over the years. There is a post about it in the previous link. Oh... there is a second Illusions book Illusions II released in 2014 which I did not realise existed.

Also a website for Jonathan Livingstone Seagull where you can share your stories if you want.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:37 PM

This not a book but an article by Casava Pillai about his meetings with one of the Gurus of Madame Blavatsky and some other spiritual adventures:

How a Hindu of Madras Interviewed a Mahatma at Sikkim by R. Casava Pillai

Old 05-22-2017, 05:39 PM

331 posts, read 315,257 times
One of the most convincing books of this type I have ever read - among a veritable ocean of crap - is THE OPEN DOOR by Theon Wright, which was published around 1970. His father was a reputable journalist and he was an executive for one of the major airlines. Virtually his father's entire life (and thus the family's) was guided by messages received from Ascended Masters through automatic writing.

I find most channeled works to either obvious products of the channeler's mind or equally obvious frauds, but THE OPEN DOOR impressed me as being sincere and low-key. The Seth books and the Silver Birch books (which date back to the 1920's or so) are also of a distinctly higher level. If you aren't familiar with the Silver Birch books, Google "Silver Birch Publishing." I have a great affinity for any material produced before characters like Ramtha came on the scene and great skepticism of anything after that.

Madame Blavatsky was a fascinating character and her writings are equally fascinating, but Richard Hodgson of the Society for Psychical Research devastatingly exposed her as a thorough fraud.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post

Madame Blavatsky was a fascinating character and her writings are equally fascinating, but Richard Hodgson of the Society for Psychical Research devastatingly exposed her as a thorough fraud.
Hodgson's so called 'investigation', was pure bunkum, sloppy and prejudiced. See this refutation by Harrison. Even the SPR rejected Hodgson's findings.

H. P. Blavatsky and the SPR, by Vernon Harrison (Hodgson Report)

Old 05-29-2017, 10:53 AM

Another uplifting spiritual biography is that of Sri Dada Sanghita, a little known, quiet Sage who was the Guru of Hari Prasad Shastri.

It is titled The Heart of Eastern Mystical Teaching, Shanti Sadan 1948, written by HP Shastri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal