Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:42 PM

13,267 posts, read 8,368,517 times

Advertisements

My former mil had this gift. I often didn't need scientific evidence or a brain scan to know that when she had certain energies..It would happen or she was highly intuitive. Either way..She was not ever wrong when she uttered some pretty outlandish foresight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 10:34 PM

102,092 posts, read 107,197,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
^^ Okay, fair enough, I should have clarified more. What I meant is, of what benefit is it to go to a psychic and s/he tells you things you already know? From what I've read, that is what usually happens. Or great aunt _____ comes through from the other side without any useful information, or to say she likes your new wallpaper or the house you bought Obviously, if someone receives a warning or useful information that helps them avoid problems, that is a different matter. But the vast majority of these psychic readings seem to be mundane and not very useful.
This is a good point. Some, including astrologers, only tell you things you already know. But really good psychics can predict the future. I read an article about a woman who went to Brasil on vacation. She chanced upon a psychic out in some small town. The psychic told her that upon returning home, she'd experience a career change, and find herself in a new job, new life. The woman blew it off, because she was happy with where she was at in life, her job, and all. After she got home, a letter came in the mail from a university, offering her the job as the university's President. Completely out of left field. It unhinged her. She'd never believed in "woo-woo" stuff. She ended up taking the job.

Judith Orloff, a psychiatrist, has the gift of what she calls "second sight"; she can see people's illnesses and other things about them, that they're not aware of themselves. She's made a career out of incorporating this gift into her practice, and helping people that way. She wrote a book about it; you can get it on Amazon. It would help answer your question.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
My former mil had this gift. I often didn't need scientific evidence or a brain scan to know that when she had certain energies..It would happen or she was highly intuitive. Either way..She was not ever wrong when she uttered some pretty outlandish foresight.
Cool!

Old 06-12-2017, 07:18 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,464,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What would you think, then, don if you witnessed the things I just said? Provided you believe me that I'm telling the truth as I observed it, how would you explain those things if not for psychic abilities?
Confirmation bias. You believe what confirms what you wish to believe and ignore/forget that which does not support it. You can do this in a matter of seconds and it is not even conscious.
Quote:
So what if I told you a kid in a gym shut his eyes and shot a basket and made it, from the complete other side of the court? And then you could say oh yeah, let's see him repeat it. No, he can't repeat it on demand. But he did it earlier.
This is not necessarily a sign of skill. This is just the odds. If you throw the ball at the hoop enough times trying to make it you will probably make it at some point. Providing it is possible.
Quote:
I have this freaky little dog. I take him out on hikes and adventures about once a week. No real pattern. But I started noticing that when I am thinking about doing it, and thinking about places we could go, he knows it and starts running around me all excited. He can pick up on it, and I can get him to repeat it every time. Knowing that dogs can predict brain changes of people with epilepsy and so predict their seizures, doesn't it make sense that this little freaky dog can pick up on the specific brain pattern that I'm thinking about taking him for a hike?

So why not humans? Why can't some humans pick up on thought patterns of other humans?
Even your dog is psychic!
Quote:
Maybe to you it doesn't make any difference, but it makes a difference to me! To be able to sense a presence in the building.

And actually, I can do that with my husband. When I walk in the door, I can immediately feel whether he's in the house. I think a lot of married people can do that, too - can sense when their spouse is near.

To me your response is a little like me saying the sage bush blooms a few days before there will be a rain and you saying how does that help anything. I'm not understanding what you're asking.
I think this helps explain some of the things you have mentioned. You are looking for psychic abilities. Amazingly you find them at a rate that is much higher than anyone I can remember speaking about this. I will not speculate on the reasons you are looking for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can warn people of impending danger. I met a psychic who flies with search-and-rescue teams, and helps them find lost hikers or skiers.
Just because a person says they are a psychic that helps find lost hikers and skiers that means nothing. I can say I am a pie maker who helps find lost astronauts and cosmonauts. It means nothing.

The thing is that psychic fraud is not a victimless crime.

Psychic dead wrong about kidnap victim - CNN Video

Old 06-12-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Just because a person says they are a psychic that helps find lost hikers and skiers that means nothing. I can say I am a pie maker who helps find lost astronauts and cosmonauts. It means nothing.
Right. She just made it up. Sure, lots of "psychics" come out of the woodwork with false leads when there's a spectacular crime case to be solved, but the fact that most of them totally miss the mark doesn't mean that all are fake.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:40 AM

997 posts, read 931,014 times
I do this for myself, not for anybody else. The question was 'How accurate can they be' The answer is 'very accurate' but you have to know how to Ascertain, and be objective and very careful about what you believe if you are using those abilities. It is easy to be deceived and it takes a lot of training and experience to know how to use those skills.

A common thing that newbies fall for is being told the truth about something they cannot know, 3 times..Then on the 4th time it is a lie. You are believing that you get the truth all the time because you have seen evidence of that 3 times. That is done on purpose to pull the wool over your eyes. Those are things to be very careful about. I had to learn the hard way and some people never learn.

I can ask a direct question and get a direct answer, but I still don't trust that so much. I am very careful about what I trust, so I use the clue system and that works well. I get help to interpret.

It's like "something is wrong" I need to check on something. What is it? I have a sense of urgency about that. There is something I need to find, or find out about..I will investigate what it might be. I cannot rest until I find it. I find the answer for myself but I have a lot of prompting to do that. That is one example of how it works in a way that is accurate.

I have never done a homicide but if I did, I would have to work it through. I wouldn't get a play by play of what happened, and I could never know what isn't knowable but I could find something, a clue that would lead to another clue and it would have to be cooperative. I don't work alone, I need someone else to help. The other person would be intuitive also.

When I work with someone I know they don't have any reason to trust me. I would have to show them something they can see for themselves.

For my own guidance, I am never wrong when it comes to taking action. When I know what I am supposed to do, that is a for sure and without doubt.

Last edited by Veronicka; 06-12-2017 at 11:09 AM..

Old 06-14-2017, 05:57 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,464,096 times
Quote:
Right. She just made it up. Sure, lots of "psychics" come out of the woodwork with false leads when there's a spectacular crime case to be solved, but the fact that most of them totally miss the mark doesn't mean that all are fake.
It also does not mean that any are real.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:30 AM

903 posts, read 857,457 times
Quote:
Using one's gift for personal gain can lead to loss of the gift.

n.

Oh really? Who, pray tell, told you that?

Old 06-14-2017, 10:49 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,159,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
That's the stock answer to why don't they pick the lottery numbers!

Actually, in our Puritanical based society, we do hold a basic belief that doing the right thing for the wrong reason negates the good of the task. The rich man who builds a wing on a hospital? He gets a big fat tax deduction, and his name permanently on a wing.

So a psychic not using her talents for personal gain does make sense. I've actually heard that Psychic Sylvia Browne lost her talents when she started taking money and seeking fame. I don't know if this is true, I've always thought she was a charlatan.

Frankly, psychics are one aspect of the paranormal that I want to be true, but I don't think they are true. I do believe in intuition, and that having a lot of knowledge can give you a further insight. I am a true crime buff, and several years ago a little boy went missing. The news interviewed the older brother and in that instant I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, he killed his little brother.

Psychic? Not at all. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I knew. And the police who have training? They knew, too. It took a couple of days for them to put all the ducks in a row, then they took him in. And he confessed.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
It's a code of ethics some follow, but I met a healer it was starting to happen to. Two of his brothers lost their gift, for the same reason, as I recall. It can be so tempting when they come from another country to the West, where healing can make big money, that some can't resist the temptation.

In traditional societies, they don't ask for payment. They can accept gifts, which typically happens after the patient goes home and notices a tremendous improvement in their condition. Then they go back with a big gift, overwhelmed with gratitude: sometimes food, sometimes other things. But in many traditional societies, they can't ask for payment, except a token amount that's just a gesture, not significant enough to be payment. It's regarded as spiritual work, or a God-given gift, so it would be wrong to take money for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal