Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 02:19 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,522,788 times

Advertisements

The skies over parts of North America went dark during the early afternoon of September 24, 1950. The "explanation" for this strange occurrence has usually been "smoke" from a "forest fire in Alberta" Canada. But was it really? Personally, I believe that in more recent years there have been much more severe forest fires, and nothing of this nature has been reported. Also, even down here where the forest fires are particularly bad, we experience a change in air quality, and there's no doubt what the source is. If this extra-ordinary darkness was the result of forest fires, wouldn't the effects have been overwhelming on the people who experienced it?

Explanations for a dark day experienced by many back in 1950 - News and information on Westfield and Mayville, NY - Westfield Republican

Black Sunday September 24, 1950

Bradford Landmark Society - The Day the Sun Went Out In Bradford - Bradford Pa History Historical Society

When the Sky Went Black-1950

https://www.burchfieldpenney.org/gen...n-disappeared/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,875 times
I was 10. My mother called me in from the garden where I was eating Tomatoes with a salt shaker in hand. She saidd that it looked like it was going to storm. By the time I finished my tomato and walked a couple of hundred yards to the house, it was as Dark as midnight. Our flashlights did little good. yet, there was no residue on flat or other surfaces. Forest Fires in Alberta? I have my doubts. From one area and only one major hot spot? I doubt that, too. Why was there not eves a smidgen of smog during the entire summer this year (2017) as a result of the multiplicity of large fires in California? I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but, something is fishy! God said was going to happen (Mathew 24 et;al) and it happened.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:07 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
This seems like a reasonable explanation:

Quote:
Utilizing polarimetric analysis, their final size was considerably larger than previous estimates, placing the total burned area at 1,700,000 hectares (4,200,000 acres). While most likely not the largest fire in the history of the North American boreal forest, it produced the largest burned area of any recorded fire on the continent ... Most of the smoke in eastern North America was borne aloft by climatic conditions to high altitudes. As many observers could not smell it, and the news of the massive Chinchaga fire was sparse, affected people drew other conclusions about its source.
(source)

Old 11-18-2017, 11:22 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
That might cause a little anxiety. Opposit, but Reminds me of this story, “Russia lights up the night sky!”
Russia's Mirror in Space Reflects The Light of the Sun Into the Dark - NYTimes.com

Old 11-22-2017, 07:28 AM

166 posts, read 170,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
That might cause a little anxiety. Opposit, but Reminds me of this story, “Russia lights up the night sky!”
Russia's Mirror in Space Reflects The Light of the Sun Into the Dark - NYTimes.com
that sounds interesting! did not know about it. thnx for sharing.

what i personally think is that it could have been a result of a military experiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal